Couple of Star Flyer Questions

donaldsc

We are doing a Greek Island cruise on the Star Flyer.  This will be our first Clipper cruise.  I have a couple of questions.

1) The Clipper FAQs say that you can't bring wine on board.  There are a lot of really good Greek wines that we could buy on the islands.  How strictly do they enforce the rules on bringing wine on board.

2) We will be on board for 3 cruises so we will need to have clothes cleaned.  It appears that do don't have do it yourself washing machines.  What do they charge for washing clothes.

3) We are not young and in our early 80's but are in good health and mobile.  Will we feel out of place age wise.

I should have added the following question about on board questions

4) Do they charge for soft drinks, coffee, tea and drinks w meals.  What about soft drinks between meals.

5) What do they charge for wine at meal time.

DON

Don

1. I don't know the answer to this. There wasn't an x-ray machine for checking bags last time I was on board (2 years ago), but if the bottles clink together as you come up the gangway, you might be stopped (the bottles would be returned to you at the end of the cruise). 

2. The cost of laundry is low compared to other ships I have been on. 

3. The majority of passengers are likely to be in their 60s, 70s, and 80s; you won't feel out of place.

4. Filter coffee, tea (a good selection of choices) and water are available at no extra cost 24 hours a day. Soft drinks are charged for, though I seem to recall that there was iced tea at no charge served at lunch. 'Speciality' coffees are charged for.

5. House wines were 16 Euros a bottle and were very acceptable. There is a good range of wines available, many in the 16-25 Euro bracket (clearly, there may have been some increases in the past two years, but the mark-ups are definitely not extortionate).

I hope you have a great time.

5 hours ago, PurleyKing said:

Don

1. I don't know the answer to this. There wasn't an x-ray machine for checking bags last time I was on board (2 years ago), but if the bottles clink together as you come up the gangway, you might be stopped (the bottles would be returned to you at the end of the cruise). 

2. The cost of laundry is low compared to other ships I have been on. 

3. The majority of passengers are likely to be in their 60s, 70s, and 80s; you won't feel out of place.

4. Filter coffee, tea (a good selection of choices) and water are available at no extra cost 24 hours a day. Soft drinks are charged for, though I seem to recall that there was iced tea at no charge served at lunch. 'Speciality' coffees are charged for.

5. House wines were 16 Euros a bottle and were very acceptable. There is a good range of wines available, many in the 16-25 Euro bracket (clearly, there may have been some increases in the past two years, but the mark-ups are definitely not extortionate).

I hope you have a great time.

I looked up your posts and it sounds as if you have done a bunch of Clipper Line cruises.  You must like them a lot.  As a Clipper Line virgin, is there anything that I should know or do.

Many thanks.

DON

We've met lots of fellow travelers on board--ages ranging from mid-30's to the 90's.

Wine/booze issue depends on the crew.  Yes sometimes, no sometimes.  We've talked our way on board with some "local wines", then again, we run a pretty good bar bill so it's not like we are skating the system.

1 hour ago, cluso said:

You might want to get the CC moderator to combine your 3 threads so it will be easier to follow and post answers.  😎

Good point.  Sometimes I am confused myself on this post and it is my post. - LOL!!I can't figure out how to contact the moderator.  

Note to moderator.  If you are reading this, can you combine my threads into one thread.

DON

Go to the top of your last post on your last thread.  Click on 3 dots.  Select "report".  Ask the moderator to combine your duplicate thread (since both have comments) and combine your Greek thread.

Edited by cluso

On 12/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, donaldsc said:

We are doing a Greek Island cruise on the Star Flyer.  This will be our first Clipper cruise.  I have a couple of questions.

1) The Clipper FAQs say that you can't bring wine on board.  There are a lot of really good Greek wines that we could buy on the islands.  How strictly do they enforce the rules on bringing wine on board.

2) We will be on board for 3 cruises so we will need to have clothes cleaned.  It appears that do don't have do it yourself washing machines.  What do they charge for washing clothes.

3) We are not young and in our early 80's but are in good health and mobile.  Will we feel out of place age wise.

1) No one checks your bag coming aboard & they were OK with buying a souvenier bottle while ashore.
I do think they would frown on drinking it aboard (exceprt maybe in your cabin).

2)Very pricy to have anything laundered onboard.  I know of a few guests that did a few items in their sink and hung in the shower.  We did an extended stay after, so visited a local laundromat and did 2 loads while  ashore one afternoon.

3) Travelers of many ages.  Almost all are seasoned travelers, with great stories to tell, & very sociable.

It's a small ship, so you'll meet about everyone!

Nothing like a mega-sized cruise ship in so many ways!