Spirit Covid Status

CJANDH

46 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The beauty of the Spirit cruise was Lauderdale to Lauderdale…

Ah yes.. That makes complete sense. Im not keen flying home from Guayaquil either! 

Actually the itinerary was what my original booking for this trip started as. (Remember the Cuba refresh?)

Such a long time ago.

22 hours ago, CJANDH said:

The CD has added a few extra entertainment activities today and is promising a spectacular New Year party on the pool deck starting at 9:30. All the entertainers have been scheduled to perform.  All shows have continued despite the spike in cases.  Professor Dr. Dick Farkas is the enrichment lecturer. I haven't been as the subject matter seems too heavy.  The captain has announced that Silversea will provide all passengers with a complimentary FCC valued at 30% of the cost of this cruise to compensate for the inconveniences.

Very much appreciate ALL of these detailed follow-ups regarding entertainment, etc., from the Silver Spirit.  With Professor Farkas, I would find interesting his background about Russia, etc., but I can understand how it would a little "heavy" for many cruise passengers.  

Safe travels home and keep up the great sharing and wonderful responsiveness to our various questions.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 93,483 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Indeed. 
I’m booked on the Spirit Jan 14th cruise (IMO Jan 3rd itinerary isn’t attractive). 
Much deep thought happening on my part. The price of going may be to forgo trivia, part of keeping away from others. 
Difficult … sigh …

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Indeed. 
I’m booked on the Spirit Jan 14th cruise (IMO Jan 3rd itinerary isn’t attractive). 
Much deep thought happening on my part. The price of going may be to forgo trivia, part of keeping away from others. 
Difficult … sigh …

I'm not sure the published itineraries make much difference. The Caribbean Islands are closing down to Cruises with any significant number of cases (about 10 would do it for Spirit with 450 passengers). If you go, be ready to be flexible about ports-of-call and be ready for more sea days than are normal for Caribbean cruises. Food is still good; entertainment is still good; crew are still enthusiastic, but . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

I'm not sure the published itineraries make much difference. The Caribbean Islands are closing down to Cruises with any significant number of cases (about 10 would do it for Spirit with 450 passengers). If you go, be ready to be flexible about ports-of-call and be ready for more sea days than are normal for Caribbean cruises. Food is still good; entertainment is still good; crew are still enthusiastic, but . . . .

Actually I wasn’t really planning on going ashore, been to all the ports before, but missing trivia would pain my soul. 

(Big difference between eastern and western Carib itineraries, I dislike the Western itinerary because Santo Tomas is such a noisy commercial port, it’s unpleasant staying onboard, and Nassau … ugh …)

Sea days, the more the merrier. So really the question is can I avoid other people?

Answer, probably. 

BTW CJ, thanks for posting all the info, it’s a great help to make an informed choice. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

Jolly

We likely wont be able to get our act together to go on January 3rd but it is tempting. We have been to all the ports before, that isn’t the draw.

I am still in the throes of unpacking from the Whisper cruise because holidays got in the way. That is precisely why I thought I could easily just repack for another cruise.

Would have loved to visit even from afar, across the room????

Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to hearing your reports.

The Dawn TA looks interesting.

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Jolly

We likely wont be able to get our act together to go on January 3rd but it is tempting. We have been to all the ports before, that isn’t the draw.

I am still in the throes of unpacking from the Whisper cruise because holidays got in the way. That is precisely why I thought I could easily just repack for another cruise.

Would have loved to visit even from afar, across the room????

Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to hearing your reports.

The Dawn TA looks interesting.

Spins - Spacing across the pool deck could be closer, champagne kills all bugs anyway. My Jan 14th cruise is Lauderdale round trip too …

Am on Spirit TA Mar 18, I prefer the southern crossing, plus the solo supplement on the Dawn wasn’t 25%. Also it’s the tenth anniversary of my first SS cruise - which was on the Spirit Barbados to Lisbon - so it has special appeal. 

Edited by jollyjones

2 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Spins - Spacing across the pool deck could be closer, champagne kills all bugs anyway. My Jan 14th cruise is Lauderdale round trip too …

Am on Spirit TA Mar 18, I prefer the southern crossing, plus the solo supplement on the Dawn wasn’t 25%. Also it’s the tenth anniversary of my first SS cruise - which was on the Spirit Barbados to Lisbon - so it has special appeal. 

We can’t get to Bridgetown. Would have preferred the Spirit. Much more.

Our penultimate night aboard. Assistant CD ( CD is locked down with Covid) announced at Trivia that if we are going to dinner, please be patient with the service as many of the crew are currently quarantined. Looks like this thing is spreading fast. We will have a quick (or maybe not so quick) dinner in LT and head back to our suite and a movie. Disappointing end to what started out as a wonderful Holiday cruise.

Happy New Year to all sailing in the next few weeks. I hope all goes well for you.

• Like 2

Final and fourth day at sea heading back to FLL for disembarkation. Seems quieter in the public areas today. An optional Covid test is being offered today  for those that need it for continuing air travel outside the US. Fingers crossed that everyone that needs it tests negative

24 minutes ago, jratkin said:

Do you know if the ship is going to sail on the January 3rd sailing?  How much time do they need to clean and fumigate the ship from 20 plus positivie covid test persons.  

YES!!  Very good questions as to how the Silver Spirit does its "turn-around" in Florida before its next sailing.  Plus, if and how these recent "challenges" might affect those scheduled and sailing during January on this ship.

Appreciate these details and all of the helpful follow-ups from CJANDH.  Sorry to hear as to how things were during your fourth and final sea day.  Good luck for a smooth disembarkation and safe travels home to South Carolina.    

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,211 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

On 1/1/2022 at 4:01 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Not for me it wasn't,  as I am in Scotland. This is actually an international forum after all. I hope you won't mind a wee reminder. 🙂

• Haha 2

Does anyone know when/if the crew on SS were boosted, and/or what they were originally vaccinated with?  
Johnson and Johnson vax ( one and done, so popular for crew on some lines) reportedly wore off sooner than the others ( at least per measures antibodies) , and if crew were not boosted, combined with their tight quarters, that might contribute to higher risk.

Interestingly on an Aida ship there are over 50 positives, all crew -- and they are mostly younger and healthier than most pax.

If the percentage of crew on a line testing positive is a lot higher than the percentage of positive pax, lines may want to look into the vax history of their crew and consider accelerating boosters.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

If the percentage of crew on a line testing positive is a lot higher than the percentage of positive pax, lines may want to look into the vax history of their crew and consider accelerating boosters.

The original report, directly from the captain, was there were 17 positive results among passengers and four among crew.  That was a few days ago.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Observer said:

The original report, directly from the captain, was there were 17 positive results among passengers and four among crew.  That was a few days ago.

That is true. However the count has gone up since then. I heard 32 yesterday but with no crew/pax split. But the shorthanded restaurant staff might indicate more crew than passengers in the increase.

We will get off tomorrow and go home. It certainly appears the the Spirit will continue to sail, perhaps with a reduced capacity if there were any cancellations. If so the smaller crew may be able to provide the excellent service they strive for. With all the problems they have faced this cruise the crew have done a remarkable job.

I hope someone joining the ship tomorrow will keep us posted. Have a great cruise y'all!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Does anyone know when/if the crew on SS were boosted, and/or what they were originally vaccinated with?  
Johnson and Johnson vax ( one and done, so popular for crew on some lines) reportedly wore off sooner than the others ( at least per measures antibodies) , and if crew were not boosted, combined with their tight quarters, that might contribute to higher risk.

Interestingly on an Aida ship there are over 50 positives, all crew -- and they are mostly younger and healthier than most pax.

I’ve heard from the crew that most of them have only 2 doses of Pfizer. Few of them J&J and very few were boosted. But the just gotta the booster recently, so, it’s not time enough for increasing of the imunity. That’s why the highest cases onboard is coming from the crew member. Right now they are the one holding the virus.

So the question is; we all know the virus sometimes takes a while to show in the tests results, how about the crew outside of quarantine than at the moment is negative, maybe for the next cruise they can show positive and start the spread again. So I believe it never gonna be ending. 

2 hours ago, auldlassie said:

Not for me it wasn't,  as I am in Scotland. This is actually an international forum after all. I hope you won't mind a wee reminder. 🙂

Yes of course it is international. My apologies if I inferred anything other than the beauty of the cruise for us, that’s my husband and I, was the ease of boarding.

At the moment some physical limitations make it difficult for us to fly anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1