What is classed as a close contact?

PEMCO007

Does anyone know what p&o class as a close contact? We are due to travel 17th, and I am getting quite concerned about going tbh.  Really concerned about being offloaded by coming into contact with a positive case, or will we just have to quarantine on ship?  I wish P&O would put some guidelines in place so we know where we stand.

23 minutes ago, PEMCO007 said:

Does anyone know what p&o class as a close contact? We are due to travel 17th, and I am getting quite concerned about going tbh.  Really concerned about being offloaded by coming into contact with a positive case, or will we just have to quarantine on ship?  I wish P&O would put some guidelines in place so we know where we stand.

It seems to be Spain that is leading to a high number of passengers offloaded to a quarantine hotel, but this does seem to be only positive cases. Close contacts can be table or shore excursion  companions, and if negative you could be quarantined on board. But that is purely my opinion based on posted reports.

The UK Government has a section on the website called "What is Meant by a Contact". Roughly it is someone within your household, or, face to face coughing at you, one metre for one minute or two metres for fifteen minutes.  See website for exact definitions.   Whilst P&O may have different protocols it is you declaring a situation and the Government website would seem to be a reasonable guide. Variations exist for omicron.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

Am I understanding this correctly....if you test positive while onboard ship  you are automatically offloaded at the next port and transferred to a quarantine hotel and if you are classed as being a close contact but testing negative you are automatically transferred to a quarantine cabin on board 

Close contacts could include - 

people you share a cabin with

people you share a table with at dinner

people on the same shore excursion coach seated near you.

Regarding Covid 19 outbreaks and offloading passengers, the rules are contained in section 7 of the  'framework document' attached - as far as I can see.

Although the document appears to be 12 months old, I can't find anything more up to date

OPERATORS_Framework_for_UK_Cruise_Operations_during_COVID-19_20201002 (2).pdf