Taking tours on your own vs ship tour now because of covid in to Caribbean beaches

debant

Just curious how comfortable people feel about taking tours on your own to the beach if it is allowed because of covid now?

We have never taken a ship tour to the beach but are thinking it might be safer to do so now, celebrity is charging a lot for these tours and the times going aren’t what we’d like either. 
If no other ships in port I’d be fine with it. It if they’re are you don’t know what protocol they have for their passengers.

1 hour ago, debant said:

Just curious how comfortable people feel about taking tours on your own to the beach if it is allowed because of covid now?

We have never taken a ship tour to the beach but are thinking it might be safer to do so now, celebrity is charging a lot for these tours and the times going aren’t what we’d like either. 
If no other ships in port I’d be fine with it. It if they’re are you don’t know what protocol they have for their passengers.

What ports?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, debant said:

St.Maarten,Barbados,Antigua,St. Kitts 

Right now it’s not possible to do anything but Celebrity excursions  in Barbados or St. Kitts.

I prefer to avoid closed cars and vans as well as indoor spaces in the other ports as much as possible.

From the website-

Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in: 

• Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis
  • Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Castries, St. Lucia
  • Colon, Panama
  • Falmouth, Jamaica
  • Kingstown, St. Vincent
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • St. George's, Grenada
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, debant said:

We have never taken a ship tour to the beach but are thinking it might be safer to do so now

Why would a ship's tour to a beach be safer from a health perspective than a going there on one's own?

7 minutes ago, ljk76 said:

An example would be if you planned to get there via taxi. We want to take an excursion out of red hook in St. Thomas. Fine with the captain, her guests, the unknown would be the cab driver. 

Are you saying one cab driver is more of a concern than a busload of fellow passengers and a local bus driver?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Why would a ship's tour to a beach be safer from a health perspective than a going there on one's own? You know everyone or almost everyone is vaccinated since 95% have to be on Celebrity. Not all ports have private cabs taking you. Many have vans that they pack you into. We would much rather go on our own. That is why I posted this as a question? 

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

Right now it’s not possible to do anything but Celebrity excursions  in Barbados or St. Kitts.

I prefer to avoid closed cars and vans as well as indoor spaces in the other ports as much as possible.

From the website-

• Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Castries, St. Lucia
  • Colon, Panama
  • Falmouth, Jamaica
  • Kingstown, St. Vincent
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • St. George's, Grenada

Not true, you need to copy the entire section.  There are several ports where passengers can take a government approved tour that isn't affiliated with Celebrity.

• Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Castries, St. Lucia
  • Colon, Panama
  • Falmouth, Jamaica
  • Kingstown, St. Vincent
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • St. George's, Grenada

In St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados and Dominica, fully vaccinated guests may also choose to visit the enclosed port area to enjoy the shops and in that area can also purchase an approved independent tour provided by the local government. Please note that these tours are unaffiliated with Celebrity.

In Grenada fully vaccinated guests may also choose to visit the enclosed port area to purchase an approved independent tour provided by the local government. Please note that these tours are unaffiliated with Celebrity. Guests need to bring their vaccination card when going ashore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, debant said:

Yes I have read this.This has no info about what I’m asking. I’m asking for peoples opinions 

Your comfort level v anyone on here is just that, one’s personal comfort level.  My opinion is just do what is YOUR comfort level, assuming on your own is allowed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ljk76 said:

An example would be if you planned to get there via taxi. We want to take an excursion out of red hook in St. Thomas. Fine with the captain, her guests, the unknown would be the cab driver. 

Or indeed you from a cab driver's perspective

We did a bus tour in Barbados via Celebrity.  My opinion is with Celebrity saying you have to do a tour thru them they can know who was in contact with who.  After we all got on the bus we had to fill in our cabin number on a sheet that showed where we sat. That way if one of us tested positive later they would know who we were around.  I read a story where last month or so a couple was on a bus excursion and later got covid. They were able to test everyone on that excursion because of the info. We had a brand new bus, our tour guide was great.  We felt very safe.

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Not true, you need to copy the entire section.  There are several ports where passengers can take a government approved tour that isn't affiliated with Celebrity.

• Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Castries, St. Lucia
  • Colon, Panama
  • Falmouth, Jamaica
  • Kingstown, St. Vincent
  • Roseau, Dominica
  • St. George's, Grenada

In St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados and Dominica, fully vaccinated guests may also choose to visit the enclosed port area to enjoy the shops and in that area can also purchase an approved independent tour provided by the local government. Please note that these tours are unaffiliated with Celebrity.

In Grenada fully vaccinated guests may also choose to visit the enclosed port area to purchase an approved independent tour provided by the local government. Please note that these tours are unaffiliated with Celebrity. Guests need to bring their vaccination card when going ashore.

Interesting! Thanks for the information 

1 hour ago, lovrccl said:

We did a bus tour in Barbados via Celebrity.  My opinion is with Celebrity saying you have to do a tour thru them they can know who was in contact with who.  After we all got on the bus we had to fill in our cabin number on a sheet that showed where we sat. That way if one of us tested positive later they would know who we were around.  I read a story where last month or so a couple was on a bus excursion and later got covid. They were able to test everyone on that excursion because of the info. We had a brand new bus, our tour guide was great.  We felt very safe.

But this was very bad news for anyone on the bus that was on the first leg of a B2B.  Even though you test negative you are not allowed to continue on the B2B because you have been in close contact with someone that has tested positive for Covid.  B2B passengers may be wise to avoid Celebrity excursions on the first leg of a B2B.

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

But this was very bad news for anyone on the bus that was on the first leg of a B2B.  Even though you test negative you are not allowed to continue on the B2B because you have been in close contact with someone that has tested positive for Covid.  B2B passengers may be wise to avoid Celebrity excursions on the first leg of a B2B.

Yep it's all a gamble. All anyone can do is decide for themselves what is comfortable for them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Thank you for giving me your opinion and response. That’s all I wanted by making this post. I obviously know what my own comfort level is. I don’t understand why so many others responded with confrontational responses. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Did not think of this. Did this actually happen to some? Can you direct us to more information?

45 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

Did not think of this. Did this actually happen to some? Can you direct us to more information?

We have heard a few stories. One couple went on a tour, got Covid a day or so later and everyone on the tour bus had to get tested. Not sure of how it all ended. Also on our last sailing the Capt announced we had a case of Covid. It was the 10th night of a 12 night cruise, we were at sea heading back to Ft Lauderdale. Never heard the rest of the story. So yes Covid happens!

12 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We have heard a few stories. One couple went on a tour, got Covid a day or so later and everyone on the tour bus had to get tested. Not sure of how it all ended. Also on our last sailing the Capt announced we had a case of Covid. It was the 10th night of a 12 night cruise, we were at sea heading back to Ft Lauderdale. Never heard the rest of the story. So yes Covid happens!

Oh, I didn't mean could one get Covid. Of course it happens. I was questioning the statement that every B2B guest that had been on the same excursion had to disembark at the end of their first cruise even if testing negative. I have not heard of that happening. I do realize everyone would be tested at that point.