Cruising with unvaccinated toddler

shannongirrrl

I will be cruising on the Carnival Horizon in July of 2022 and I know currently whoever is unvaccinated can only participate in the "bubble tours," but I wasn't sure if this would apply to by 16 month old since he is too young to be vaccinated and is also under 2 so they aren't requiring that he be tested either. Everyone else in our group will be vaccinated. Will we only be able to participate in bubble tours instead of regular excursions? Any other current requirements that will not apply to him? 

I looked through the COVID-19 protocols on Carnival's website and didn't see an exception like the one for testing for those under 2 for going ashore.

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

Shore Visits and Excursions
  • Unvaccinated guests cannot go ashore in the ports of call on their own. Guests may only debark in the ports of call if booked on a Carnival-sponsored bubble tour.

18 hours ago, shannongirrrl said:

Will we only be able to participate in bubble tours instead of regular excursions?

I believe this is standard across cruise lines. We were recently on RCL and had the same issue with my 6 yr old - she was unvaccinated at the time and not able to go off the ship unless it was on a 'bubble' tour. We managed it by sending her with grandma for the tour, while the rest of the vaccinated group went to the same spot independently on a cab etc.  Those cruise excursions often have significant mark-ups that really start to add up with a group. 

Another requirement to keep in mind is mid-cruise testing requirement - I believe Carnival charges $150 for this mandatory extra test required for unvaccinated passengers.

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Protocols are only in place until the end of March.

I would wait until protocols are announced for July then ask those questions.

Rules that exist now may not exist in July. Things may get better. Things may get worse.

This ^.  Protocols expire March 31, 2022.  My 4 year old is unvacc'd and we are sailing the first week in April.  I'm paying close attention as this would really put a wrench in things.

• Like 1