Can you walk from the Crowne Plaza to Berth 92 in San Pedro?

albertamom

12 minutes ago, albertamom said:

I've already booked the Doubletree, but would consider switching to the Crowne Plaza if it meant we could just walk to Berth 92 to board our ship.  Any thoughts?

I've done it a couple of times.  It's an easy 15 minute walk.

• Like 1

We also did it in November and it's super easy.  Just cross the street and then there's a sidewalk/promenade that goes the length of the pier.  They also offer a complimentary shuttle - just sign up when you check-in.

I will say that when we were there, we saw a Doubletree shuttle waiting to pick people up after disembarktion.

Edited by Sugar0802
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sugar0802 said:

We also did it in November and it's super easy.  Just cross the street and then there's a sidewalk/promenade that goes the length of the pier.  They also offer a complimentary shuttle - just sign up when you check-in.

I will say that when we were there, we saw a Doubletree shuttle waiting to pick people up after disembarktion.

That's perfect!  I think it will be nice to start the day with a brisk walk. 👍

Its really not necessary to walk when both hotels offer free shuttles that go often

We stayed at the acrowne last time and previously at the Doubletree

I didn't think the distance was so easy to walk as mentioned here

I wouldn't bother doing that

• Like 1

We also did the Doubletree and just so you know, there is only one shuttle.  We waited for over an hour after getting off the ship for the shuttle to pick us up.  He was picking up passengers from the Majestic and just kept driving by us Grand passengers.  Then when he finally came many people were left behind because the shuttle only seats about 10 people.  This was a sailing with only 600 people!  I can imagine what it would be like with the ships full.

I would not stay at the double tree due to this problem.   I would rather walk to the Crown myself. 

We had a long 14 hr drive ahead and did the self walk off at 7:30.  We didn't get to our car until 9:30 am.  We were going to call uber, but kept seeing the shuttle coming, just to be passed by.    

Not bashing any place, just stating the facts of what happened recently

We stayed at the Doubletree January 2020 prior to our last pre-pandemic cruise.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza October 2021.

Both times, it was "Park 'n' Cruise" for us since we live just ove an hour from the port...so, each time, leftour car at the hotel during the cruise.

Here's as complete a comparison as I can give:

Hotel:

Doubletree is a little nicer...Crowne Plaza requires a little refurbishing--but they were doing work in the lobby areas while we were there.  Rooms at both were ample size, but, again, CP was a little "dated"...didn't really bother us much.  Our view from the Doubletree was very pleasant--we looked directly out at boats on the yacht harbor.  View from CP was toward the port, but we could only see pieces of ships in port due to buildings across the street.

Parking: 

Parking at Doubletree was in an open, exposed lot next to the hotel.  Parking at CP was in underground lot beneath the hotel...additionally, we were able to get a space between a wall and a pillar so no one could park next to us--making my wife very happy that no one would put any door dings into her new car nor would it get dirty from weather.

Convenience: 

Doubletree is off to itself-not much nearby except the yacht marina.  One restaurant nearby is the 22nd Street Landing (Sea food), a short walk around the marina.  However, the hotel will shuttle you, for free, to restaurants in Downtown San Pedro.  For us, this wasn't a big problem as we had our car and drove to downtown for lunch and dinner.  Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown with many restaurants withing one or two blocks.  We simply walked across the street to the Green Onion for lunch and about half a block to San Pedro Brewing Co. for dinner.

Shuttle:

The Doubletree had a FREE shuttle to and from the ship.  We signed up for a time slot for the ride to the ship when we checked in.  For the ride back, we had to call the hotel and the shuttle took about 15-20 minutes to get there.  With the Crowne Plaza, though the shuttle used to be free, they started charging $5 per person each way.  Really, $5 is not all that bad--We got a deal at the hotel that was pretty good and didn't mind paying an extra $10 for the convenience of a ride to the ship with luggage.  Again, made a time slot reservation at check-in.  For the ride back, we decided to NOT use the shuttle.  Not a question of cost for us (Just figure the cost into your price comparison).  Figured we did not want to deal with the possibility of waiting a long time for the hotel shuttle if there were a lot of other CP guests disembarking the same time.  Thought we'd either call an Uber...or walk.  When the time came, we disembarked and my wife waited with the luggage while I walked back to the CP and got the car, then drove back to pick her up.

So, basically, both hotels are fine.  Both have good points and not so good.  If you want a nicer hotel experience, stay at the Doubletree.  If you want more convenience, stay at the Crowne Plaza--though either will still work fine for both.

• Like 3