Taxis available outside the gate

fishnlady

We were informed we had to book a cruise provided excursion in St Lucia or with  a government approved tour agency. We were not impressed with the tours offered by the ship, they went to places we weren’t interested in. I wanted to go to the Tet Paul Nature Trail. I wasn’t interested in the mud baths or the water falls. We ventured out past the port offered tour companies that looked like your only non ship options and past the gate to the small parking lot. One of the bust drives informed us that we certainly could talk to the taxi drives and arrange a custom tour. Thee we met Joseph, self proclaimed wheeler dealer. He asked where we wanted to go and gave a great price right off. He showed us his clean safe  nice Nissan Xtrail and his COVID certificate label on the windshield and away we went. Most beautiful place I’ve ever been and he was the best your guide you could ask for. Enjoyed the many stops along the way seeing and meeting local people and trying some food. He stopped and took our pictures for us also without having to ask. 

289C8F05-E33B-4E4A-A2FB-F1DA93DD7AAE.jpeg

4D8E459D-5196-49E8-A506-8277207EF09C.jpeg

56346D9A-6500-4F71-82F8-3EA109CA49F1.jpeg

9C2B52B4-EB6D-4D5A-8299-E7E3DBBD1E0D.jpeg

8C407784-E0F5-410F-8FA0-0208A7C693B1.jpeg

Was Joseph your taxi driver an approved government tour or because a bus driver said you could talk to Joseph, that was the validation you needed? I ask because I saw 5 people with cruise issued wristbands walking on their own, outside of the cruise port complex, which is not what the St. Lucian government permits.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, meadowlander said:

Was Joseph your taxi driver an approved government tour or because a bus driver said you could talk to Joseph, that was the validation you needed? I ask because I saw 5 people with cruise issued wristbands walking on their own, outside of the cruise port complex, which is not what the St. Lucian government permits.

That's 100% what the St Lucian government allows. You can read the St Lucia gov't protocols yourself at the Tourism Authority website: www.stlucia.org/covid-19 

In shirt, per gov't tourism protocols - fully vaccinated visitors, whether cruise or hotel or AirBnB or whatever, are issued the vaccinated wristband and are free to roam the island as they like. 

Directly from the cruise protocols: "Fully vaccinated passengers can:
• Free to roam the island and engage in local activities
• Access the various sites and attractions, restaurant, beaches, 
 shopping centres, etc. on-island for recreational purposes."

There's no requirements that they use solely ship's tours or gov't approved transport, nada. 

If unvaccinated, there's some restrictions - ship's tours or gov't certified tours or taxis to certified activities, etc. Given you've got to be vaxxed to be aboard, it's basically a non-issue currently.  

The cruise lines have their own rules and protocols, which can be different than the country's.  And in the case if a cruise, their rules are the ones that matter overall.  But there's not anyone at the ports stopping you from roaming around freely once you have your vaxxed wristband.  Safe travels.

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, reedprincess said:

The cruise lines have their own rules and protocols, which can be different than the country's.  And in the case if a cruise, their rules are the ones that matter overall.  But there's not anyone at the ports stopping you from roaming around freely once you have your vaxxed wristband.  Safe travels.

For weeks prior to sail date, the line I sailed on made it known, as the op wrote, tours in St. Lucia booked via the cruise line or with a government approved tour operator was the only way to visit the island outside of the cruise port.

Days prior to the port call, a letter was distributed to cabins reaffirming this position with new information that approved tour operators were present in the cruise port.

I had booked a tour with the cruise line, following their guidelines which I agreed to just as I wore a mask while onboard.

I find it odd that the cruise line imposed these standards contrary to the government's requirement.  3 ports on the cruise had the same restriction, 3 ports did not, further confusing my understanding of your explanation.

While on Viggie beach, a representative of the contracted operator said a cruise ship of the same line was denied docking a day earlier. The vaccination requirements were the same for both ships.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, meadowlander said:

For weeks prior to sail date, the line I sailed on made it known, as the op wrote, tours in St. Lucia booked via the cruise line or with a government approved tour operator was the only way to visit the island outside of the cruise port.

Days prior to the port call, a letter was distributed to cabins reaffirming this position with new information that approved tour operators were present in the cruise port.

I had booked a tour with the cruise line, following their guidelines which I agreed to just as I wore a mask while onboard.

I find it odd that the cruise line imposed these standards contrary to the government's requirement.  3 ports on the cruise had the same restriction, 3 ports did not, further confusing my understanding of your explanation.

While on Viggie beach, a representative of the contracted operator said a cruise ship of the same line was denied docking a day earlier. The vaccination requirements were the same for both ships.

Crusie lines can impose whatever restrictions they like, essentially..it's frustrating the heck out of many tour and taxi operators though, as they're being denied access, even though they're certified by the govt under the Covid certification process etc. But with limited access from cruise lines as they prevent people from going independent, there's only so many who can get into the port at once to provide services. It's frustrating, to say the least - particularly when it's not govt protocols but rather cruise line. 

Given the ridiculously low vaccination rates in a few country in the Caribbean, including mine, it's not surprising that some lines wouldn't want their guests to wander freely. Although, even the gov't approved operators and such are not all fully vaxxed..

As for ships being denied ports - that has to do with cases aboard, not vaccination status, as all lines sailing from the US have the same requirements (set by CDC)..

On my recent cruise, we got into all our ports, but each port had denied other ships either same day we were there or the day before die to cases aboard - the omicron variant is making waves (so to speak) aboard the ships and wreaking havoc on crew, ports, etc. 

Hope you enjoyed your cruise, safe travels!

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1