Hawaii Safe Travels “Cruise Line Trips” option

Astro Flyer

I just checked the Hawaii Safe Travels website (https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/) & they have recently added a Cruise Line Trips option. Last month the HDOT spokesperson stated that was necessary before cruises could resume. Not that it guarantees Hawaii cruises will resume next month but it’s a necessary step towards resumption. I still have not read nor heard any local news coverage about negotiations towards resuming cruises & with the Grand Princess scheduled to sail to Hawaii on 1/4 we should know something soon. A passenger currently on that ship is being told by crew that they’re assuming it will sail in only 12 days from LA. 🤞

D4BF1C63-2732-4646-A064-C14EA0FF43FC.jpeg

• Like 1

This is the first local coverage I’ve seen in over a month about resuming the Hawaii cruise industry.

This HNN article & news story states that Hawaii & cruise lines are still working on agreements that are necessary to resume cruises. The first scheduled arrival is Grand Princess on 1/9/22 in Honolulu which is scheduled to depart from LA on 1/4/22. Hopefully an agreement will be finalized soon for passengers on this cruise & those that follow.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/app/2021/12/24/cruise-industry-seeks-restart-hawaii-ships-plan-dock-january/

• Like 1

Here is some of the information about safetravels and cruising in Hawaii. I do agree that it's a step in the right direction, but it seems Hawaii still has a way to go.

Just today Victorino made boosters mandatory for anyone in Maui in order to be considered 'fully vaxed". You must have the booster after 6 months (pfizer/moderno) and 2 months (j&J). So far this change does not effect the safetravels application to enter Hawaii, but it does effect what you can do once on Maui. Those whose vaccine has expired will not be allowed to dine in restaurants, go to bars, or participate in other 'high risk' activities as defined by the county. ..https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/View/125111/COM_Public-Health-Emergency-Rules?bidId=

Here is some specific info about what cruise ship passengers need to do to enter Hawaii. Making a safe travels digital platform and following the requirements to upload vaccine card will be required for all passengers, but it's not hard to do and there are social media sites which will walk you thru the process if you get stuck.  https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/

image.thumb.png.ab8c75da9ff51672a3093c8b5b1f7d1f.png

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is some of the information about safetravels and cruising in Hawaii. I do agree that it's a step in the right direction, but it seems Hawaii still has a way to go.

Just today Victorino made boosters mandatory for anyone in Maui in order to be considered 'fully vaxed". You must have the booster after 6 months (pfizer/moderno) and 2 months (j&J). So far this change does not effect the safetravels application to enter Hawaii, but it does effect what you can do once on Maui. Those whose vaccine has expired will not be allowed to dine in restaurants, go to bars, or participate in other 'high risk' activities as defined by the county. ..https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/View/125111/COM_Public-Health-Emergency-Rules?bidId=

Here is some specific info about what cruise ship passengers need to do to enter Hawaii. Making a safe travels digital platform and following the requirements to upload vaccine card will be required for all passengers, but it's not hard to do and there are social media sites which will walk you thru the process if you get stuck.  https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/

image.thumb.png.ab8c75da9ff51672a3093c8b5b1f7d1f.png

Thank you so VERY much for this post; it's very timely.  We are due to arrive Feb 2nd (fingers and toes crossed).  I'm going to share your post on my Roll Call; I can't figure out how to share your whole quote (to give you props for the research).  😞

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lauraally said:

Thank you so VERY much for this post; it's very timely.  We are due to arrive Feb 2nd (fingers and toes crossed).  I'm going to share your post on my Roll Call; I can't figure out how to share your whole quote (to give you props for the research).  😞

Follow this procedure to show that post on your roll call:

• Click on + sign next to Quote which changes it to a check mark & in the lower right hand corner you’ll see a box stating “Quote 1 post”.
  • Go to your roll call where you’ll see the “Quote 1 post” box & click on it to add the post from “BermudaBound2014”.
  • Add any comments you want to post & click on “Submit Reply”.

4075B20B-C271-4FB8-BF7D-D722BEFB28DD.png

Some additional information that Gov. Ige is evaluating the option to add the booster shot requirement to Safe Travels after a 2 weeks notice due to cases increasing statewide from about 100 cases per day earlier this month to nearly 3,500 cases yesterday.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2021/12/county-fully-vaccinated-will-mean-getting-a-booster/

When asked during the news conference whether the state planned to expand its definition of “fully vaccinated” to include booster shots, particularly for the Safe Travels program, Gov. David Ige said that “we certainly are evaluating that.”

The Safe Travels system is a complex system and we are, you know, also evaluating the point at which we would end the program,” Ige said. “So there are many decisions that we’ll be making over the next few days, and certainly we’ll be making announcements as necessary. But any changes to Safe Travelswould require a minimum of two weeks to implement.”

We use the Safe Travels website several times per year when flying between the Mainland & Maui & know the procedure but it could be more user friendly.

I’ve been reading the Grand Princess roll calls for 1/4 & 1/19 and on the Princess board which have not been canceled. With no announced agreements between Princess & Hawaii the status is unknown. Speculation is the 1/4 cruise might sail but have to modify the itinerary to either cruising around Hawaii or like Viking did before sailing to be changed to a Mexico cruise which in a few days we’ll know the answer.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

@Astro Flyer, thank you for helping me with the quote on a different thread.  I also just learned that CC has the tagging feature - they're more tech savvy than in my last roll calls.  😄

We're booked on NCL's POA, sail date Feb 5, fingers crossed - flying in a few days before.  We're had this all booked for three years.

We are fully vaxxed, even with the above/revised standards, but wonder how many others who are booked have their boosters...  YIKES.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lauraally said:

@Astro Flyer, thank you for helping me with the quote on a different thread.  I also just learned that CC has the tagging feature - they're more tech savvy than in my last roll calls.  😄

We're booked on NCL's POA, sail date Feb 5, fingers crossed - flying in a few days before.  We're had this all booked for three years.

We are fully vaxxed, even with the above/revised standards, but wonder how many others who are booked have their boosters...  YIKES.

During the pandemic flexibility is necessary & to follow the Hawaiian Shaka 🤙 philosophy…Hang Lose. 😎

Wishing you a Buon Viaggio & we’ll wave to you when you arrive in Maui. 🤞

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lauraally said:

You are most welcome, no need to give me props for any research, I'm happy to share. In this day and age of covid travel we all need to stick together :).

@Astro Flyer Aloha! I also spend time in Maui. I'm leaving next week to avoid the long Michigan Winter and won't return here until the end of April. I'm in the Kapalua area, you? So looking forward to some Shaka energy. This covid thing is over the top. After going thru safe travels protocol last year I never dreamed I'd have to do it again this year. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Aloha! I also spend time in Maui. I'm leaving next week to avoid the long Michigan Winter and won't return here until the end of April. I'm in the Kapalua area, you? So looking forward to some Shaka energy. This covid thing is over the top. After going thru safe travels protocol last year I never dreamed I'd have to do it again this year. 

That’s great…we get quite a few snowbirds who stay for months each winter. ☺️

Our house is in South Maui (Kihei) but previously we mostly visited in West Maui. There are advantages to both areas & we’re happy with life in Kihei. When on the Mainland we enjoy the roundtrip LA/HI cruises to island-hop for the day without having to fly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We aren't clear with what you mean about "Those whose vaccine has expired...".  Please explain.

Hi Silver, aren't you still living upcountry? You have been in my thoughts with all this rain. Wishing you much aloha.

I’m a bit confused what you are confused about since you are on island lol. 

Anyway… the term vaccine “expired” is the new expression being used when boosters are required. Example,. In this case of Maui, in order to be consider fully vaccinated and able to eat indoors, your vaccine must not be older than 6 months from last shot (moderno or pfiZer) and no older than 2 month j&j.  You are no longer considered fully vaccinated after that time lapse (your vaccine exemption expired) and will be renewed upon booster. Did that make sense?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi Silver, aren't you still living upcountry? You have been in my thoughts with all this rain. Wishing you much aloha.

Mahalo for your explanation and thoughts.  On this New Year's Eve we are hearing firecrackers already and can't believe a new year is upon us.

Should be interesting to see what the cruise lines do decide about cruising here...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Mahalo for your explanation and thoughts.  On this New Year's Eve we are hearing firecrackers already and can't believe a new year is upon us.

Should be interesting to see what the cruise lines do decide about cruising here...

We were planning on renting a car on each island can you make recommendations?  We like beautiful scenary and a beach.  We were planning on driving over to Lahina and Kaanapali when on Maui is that doable?  Wanted to drive to Waimea in a rental car rather than a bus with 20 people on cruise line excursion too. Any advise is welcome.  

57 minutes ago, carbon said:

We were planning on renting a car on each island can you make recommendations?  We like beautiful scenary and a beach.  We were planning on driving over to Lahina and Kaanapali when on Maui is that doable?  Wanted to drive to Waimea in a rental car rather than a bus with 20 people on cruise line excursion too. Any advise is welcome.  

I'm not Silver, but I do 'live' on Maui 4 months a year and maybe can help. Waimea is not on Maui it's on the 'big island'. The number one tourist thing to do on Maui is Road to Hana (RtH). You can do that in a rental car as long as you don't do the full loop as most rental companies don't allow that. If you plan on RtH that will take your full day in port. Do not attempt to do drive the north west loop  of the island leaving Kahalui and headed to Kapalua (340 on the map). That road is very very dangerous and again, void with rental companies.

You can very easily drive from Kahalui to LaHaina via the Pali Hwy. Gorgeous road. You will pass Maalaea bay this route. Very safe drive. Lahaina and Kaanapali are literally right next to each other. If you are in during whale season this is an absolute must do IMO. Maui has the highest concentration of Humpbacks in the world.

Hope this helps, I'm sure Silver will have even better input 🙂

10 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Yes, Maui sure does like it's fireworks. Not sure where that tradition stems from. You probably have an excellent view from up in Kula (I think you are in Kula, but I could be remembering that incorrectly).

I am in touch with my neighbors in Kapalua and they just aren't believing that cruising is going to start up again, especially this month. Their opinion is that more restrictions are forth coming for all the islands. With Maui leading the way in requiring boosters to be considered fully vaxxed, it's possible. 

Happy New Year from Michigan where we are expecting 6-8 inches of snow today. It will be beautiful, but makes me all the more excited to make the long journey back to the island I love. 

50 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not Silver, but I do 'live' on Maui 4 months a year and maybe can help. Waimea is not on Maui it's on the 'big island'. The number one tourist thing to do on Maui is Road to Hana (RtH). You can do that in a rental car as long as you don't do the full loop as most rental companies don't allow that. If you plan on RtH that will take your full day in port. Do not attempt to do drive the north west loop  of the island leaving Kahalui and headed to Kapalua (340 on the map). That road is very very dangerous and again, void with rental companies.

You can very easily drive from Kahalui to LaHaina via the Pali Hwy. Gorgeous road. You will pass Maalaea bay this route. Very safe drive. Lahaina and Kaanapali are literally right next to each other. If you are in during whale season this is an absolute must do IMO. Maui has the highest concentration of Humpbacks in the world.

Hope this helps, I'm sure Silver will have even better input 🙂

Thank you for the positive information.  We honeymooned on Kaanapali Beach and wish to return even if only for a day.  Wouldnt mind checking out Lahaina and Mic Fleetwood's place.We dock on April 12th so I think we are too late for whale season.

Just now, carbon said:

Thank you for the positive information.  We honeymooned on Kaanapali Beach and wish to return even if only for a day.  Wouldnt mind checking out Lahaina and Mic Fleetwood's place.We dock on April 12th so I think we are too late for whale season.

I will still be on island April 12th. That is coming into Easter week so expect things to be busy. You are at the end of the whale season for sure, but there are still some whales. Last year I did a snorkeling excursion to Lanaii on April 16th (in honor of my Mom's birthday) and we came across a mom/baby in the morning and a single whale saling back in the afternoon, so know if you go out on the water you may still see whales. 

Since you are already familiar with Kaanapali, I might recommend you drive another 10 minutes up the road to Kapalua. This is where my condo is, so I'm very partial to this area. The Kapalua coastal trail is a super easy 1.5 mile stroll and is rated one of the best 'hikes' in all of Hawaii (it really is a stroll). Also, Kapalua Bay and Napali bay are great beaches for snorkeling from shore. Kapalua beach has a company on site that rents snorkel gear, loungers, SUP boards, etc...  If you make the drive all the way to Kapalua you might as well continue to Honolua Bay (another 10 minutes tops) for that lovely stroll through a rain forest to the ocean. If you are a golfer, Kapalua Plantation is a must do. The Sentry Tournament is played their yearly. It starts this week, so if you are interested in seeing what Kapalua has to offer turn on the golf channel :).

Fleetwoods place is super fun, but you will absolutely need reservations. They open exactly one month before you arrive. We also like the Lahania Fish Market for the outside terraced view of the ocean. 

47 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I will still be on island April 12th. That is coming into Easter week so expect things to be busy. You are at the end of the whale season for sure, but there are still some whales. Last year I did a snorkeling excursion to Lanaii on April 16th (in honor of my Mom's birthday) and we came across a mom/baby in the morning and a single whale saling back in the afternoon, so know if you go out on the water you may still see whales. 

Since you are already familiar with Kaanapali, I might recommend you drive another 10 minutes up the road to Kapalua. This is where my condo is, so I'm very partial to this area. The Kapalua coastal trail is a super easy 1.5 mile stroll and is rated one of the best 'hikes' in all of Hawaii (it really is a stroll). Also, Kapalua Bay and Napali bay are great beaches for snorkeling from shore. Kapalua beach has a company on site that rents snorkel gear, loungers, SUP boards, etc...  If you make the drive all the way to Kapalua you might as well continue to Honolua Bay (another 10 minutes tops) for that lovely stroll through a rain forest to the ocean. If you are a golfer, Kapalua Plantation is a must do. The Sentry Tournament is played their yearly. It starts this week, so if you are interested in seeing what Kapalua has to offer turn on the golf channel :).

Fleetwoods place is super fun, but you will absolutely need reservations. They open exactly one month before you arrive. We also like the Lahania Fish Market for the outside terraced view of the ocean. 

Thank you, the Kapalau costal trail sounds great.  How is parking in the area? We are not golfers but a stroll to the ocean through a rain forest at Honolulu Bay sounds lovely!

2 hours ago, carbon said:

Any advise for Kauai and driving to Waimea Canyon?

We rented a car to drive to Waimea Canyon but this time didn’t drive to the end at Kokee State Park. Last Spring they implemented fees for non-residents: $5/pp. entrance fee; $10/car parking fee.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/kauai/waimea-canyon-state-park/

When returning from there we stopped at the small town of Hanapepe which you might recognize from the animated movie LIlo & Stitch.

http://www.hanapepe.org/

We also visited the Kauai Coffee Company for free samples & a tour explaining the process:

https://kauaicoffee.com/

A few thoughts about driving from Kahului to the West Maui area which includes Ka’anapali. When only there for a day if the only road between them is blocked by an accident, rock slide or brushfire the only other route is the hazardous northern route mentioned by BB2014 which sometimes is only open to residents when the other road is closed. With the forecasted La Niña winter season Hawaii is receiving more rainfall. The road closure only happens a couple of times per month but if it happens you could miss the ship. I’m not recommending anything but just something that could happen.

Here in South Maui there are undeveloped beaches in the Wailea & Makena areas in addition to the developed Wailea Beach resort which has free parking. Further south is the most recent Maui lava flow area estimated to be from the late 1700s. There is no place similar to the old whaling capital of the world & briefly the capital of the Hawaiian monarchy…Lahaina.

Whatever you decide to do have a great day in the Valley Isle. 😎🏝

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carbon said:

Thank you, the Kapalau costal trail sounds great.  How is parking in the area? We are not golfers but a stroll to the ocean through a rain forest at Honolulu Bay sounds lovely!

As you may expect, parking is really difficult if you attempt to park near the ocean at Kapalua Beach or Napali Beach. There is valet at Merrimon's and the Ritz Carlton if you want to avoid the hassle. I've had my best luck at Dragons Tooth which is the little yellow church at the intersection of Office Drive and Lower Honoapiillani Drive. You can also try to park at DT Fleming Beach which is at one end of the Kapalua Coastal Trail. 

Last year during Easter Week, Kapalua was a mad house, so best to pack some patience. The entire island was very very busy. I waiting nearly 45 minutes for a paid parking spot in Lahaina one day.  If you plan to stroll to Honolua Bay you should allow plenty of time to wait for parking as there are very limited spots there. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but to better prepare you for what you may experience. Who knows, this year maybe better during Easter. Regardless; It's totally worth it, IMO.