One person tests positive in group

jetact

After reading the post on the run down of the family that had a member test positive at the pier I am still confused as it was all over the board. The question for me is if one member of your group tests positive then can the rest of the people in the group get on board and cruise or is everyone not allowed on the ship?

1 minute ago, jetact said:

After reading the post on the run down of the family that had a member test positive at the pier I am still confused as it was all over the board. The question for me is if one member of your group tests positive then can the rest of the people in the group get on board and cruise or is everyone not allowed on the ship?

It appears that everyone in the same cabin is prevented from boarding, but there was a family early on that had a daughter test positive at the pier so the daughter and her family were sent to quarantine, but the mother and father (who were in a different cabin) boarded and went to Alaska. Strangely, the family all traveled together and stayed in the same hotel the evening before embarkation. Not surprisingly, the mother eventually ended up testing positive. Not sure this answers your question, but there is at least one family that was split up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetact said:

What is "a group"?  People on your shuttle from the airport? People in your cabin, but you didn't travel to the pier together?  Your friends/family in different cabins?  People on the plane with you?

I was looking at booking separate cabins for me and DH (no single supplement and he kicks/I snore).  This was 2 months ago...and the rep at that time said "if one of you is positive, the other one can still sail".

It may be determined on a case by case basis......the scenarios could go on and on

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

What is "a group"?  People on your shuttle from the airport? People in your cabin, but you didn't travel to the pier together?  Your friends/family in different cabins?  People on the plane with you?

I was looking at booking separate cabins for me and DH (no single supplement and he kicks/I snore).  This was 2 months ago...and the rep at that time said "if one of you is positive, the other one can still sail".

It may be determined on a case by case basis......the scenarios could go on and on

I am sorry. All in the same cabin, we are travelling with the daughter and grand daughter on 1/16/22 out of NOLA in a 2 bedroom family villa. We have separate rooms in NOLA for the 2  days before the cruise. 

Edited by jetact
forgot something

8 minutes ago, jetact said:

I am sorry. All in the same cabin, we are travelling with the daughter and grand daughter on 1/16/22 out of NOLA in a 2 bedroom family villa. We have separate rooms in NOLA for the 2  days before the cruise. 

Opinion only....you seem to qualify as a bona fide group and again, my opinion....if one is denied boarding, all will be denied boarding.  Even though you have separate rooms in NOLA, you'll probably be in physical contact for those 2 days.

I listed all those "groups" really to show that "group" is a loose term......

Imagine being denied boarding because a shuttle mate tested positive!!!!!

• Like 1

I believe that NCL's policies contradict themselves.  In one place, they suggest that if you have been exposed to a person with Covid, you can't sail.  In another, they suggest that only those booked in the same cabin can not sail.  Others can sail and  are not eligible for a refund/assistance.  Of course this often changes by the day.

It will depend on the assessment of the medical team in NOLA to see if you meet the criteria to deny you boarding. (I think that how you answer bullet #2 below wrt your time in NOLA will be the determining factor). 

That being said, 10’s and 10’s of thousands of people cruise each week. And the number of people who are denied boarding is very very very very small. So there is no definitive answer to a lot of the “what if” scenarios currently on CC. Stop worrying and enjoy your cruise. 

What is the criteria for denying guests boarding?

We continue to work with authorities to update the criteria below. Please keep in mind that these can change at any time. To protect the health of our guests on board, we will be denying boarding to anyone who 

• Any guest with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C. 
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms or exhibit difficulty breathing.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% future cruise credit.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It will depend on the assessment of the medical team in NOLA to see if you meet the criteria to deny you boarding. (I think that how you answer bullet #2 below wrt your time in NOLA will be the determining factor). 

That being said, 10’s and 10’s of thousands of people cruise each week. And the number of people who are denied boarding is very very very very small. So there is no definitive answer to a lot of the “what if” scenarios currently on CC. Stop worrying and enjoy your cruise. 

What is the criteria for denying guests boarding?

We continue to work with authorities to update the criteria below. Please keep in mind that these can change at any time. To protect the health of our guests on board, we will be denying boarding to anyone who 

• Any guest with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C. 
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms or exhibit difficulty breathing.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% future cruise credit.

I know I am worrying to much and I am usually not a worrier at all but travelling across the country to cruise and all of this new stuff going on is such a mess. The grand daughter (9) has had both of her shots and the three of us have had the booster on top of the 2 shot vaccination. We will test before we board the plane here also. I just want to get back to vacationing and enjoying life. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jetact said:

I just want to get back to vacationing and enjoying life. 

Be safe. Enjoy life. They do not have to be mutually exclusive. 

We normally cruise 4-6 times a year. And the pandemic shutdown took away one of our pleasures in life. Our first time back cruising in June was magical. And we have not stopped vacationing through out the pandemic. 

Back at home, masks are required in most places. If you want to eat out at a restaurant or even the mall food court, you need to show your vaccine card. So, that is all part of “life” today and it does not bother us in the least little bit. 

life will someday return to “normal” but not today. So we make due with what we have. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I asked NCL the following yesterday:

Myrsha (12/23/2021, 2:04:50 PM): Hello Susan. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Myrsha. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Susan (12/23/2021, 2:05:37 PM): Hello. I am traveling with two other couples. We are on separate reservations and have separate rooms. If one of them tests positive will none of the couples be permitted to board? Or just the two on that one reservation? 
Susan (12/23/2021, 2:07:39 PM): And I’m not saying this has happened or anyone could possibly have. I am just wondering 
Myrsha (12/23/2021, 2:08:42 PM): I would be glad to assist you with that inquiry, Susan. If you and the other couple are not part of the same household, then only the individuals in the party listed on the reservation would not be able to sail if one were to fall ill. 
Myrsha (12/23/2021, 2:09:12 PM): If all of you are arriving together and reside in the same household, however, no one in your group would be able to sail. 
Susan (12/23/2021, 2:09:45 PM): Okay. We do not reside together. 
Susan (12/23/2021, 2:11:01 PM): So even if we travel to port together we are ok? Just as long as we don’t live together 
Myrsha (12/23/2021, 2:12:38 PM): If you are not in the same household and on separate reservations, as long as you test negative on the antigen test at the pier you would be able to sail. 
Susan (12/23/2021, 2:12:55 PM): Okay thank you!! Merry Christmas 
Myrsha (12/23/2021, 2:13:04 PM): You are welcome. If there is nothing else that I can assist you with at this time, but you think of something else later, you are more than welcome to reach back out to us. Thank you for using Norwegian Cruise Line Chat. Have a great day, Merry Christmas! Please don't forget to close our chat by clicking on the "X" on the top right of the chat window.