Live-ish from Silhouette Dec 24 - Jan 4

zaxanon6

33 minutes ago, stones902 said:

Surmising that the current positivity rate is roughly 3%. That’s about the same reported in the general population. 

We’re planning on masking up for the Jan 4 cruise when inside unless eating or drinking. 

Us too.

Random musings (posting lets me avoid starting to pack up to go home):

On previous cruises, I've barely paid attention to the 'bing-bong' of the announcements system. You can guess what's going on based on the time of day. The morning announcements are mostly all info you'll find on the navigation channel or the Celebrity Today. If you hear it soon after docking, it means we can now go ashore. The words that came after the sound were not important.

Now, when we hear the sound, we hurry to turn on the TV or open the door and listen in the hall. There have been a few calls today for people to report to guest services immediately. I'm sure some will say we're worrying too much. I'm still holding out a little hope that we're actually going to get to Bimini tomorrow. It's not a bucket list destination or anything, but we just like to have plans and know what's coming. And that's in short supply these days.

Ok, now I know it's not just me. The 'bing-bong' came over the PA system during dinner and there was an audible groan throughout the MDR. Everyone immediately went totally quiet in the whole place. The CD announced one of the main performers has tested positive, so no 7pm show tonight and maybe no 9pm show. We're still on the way to Bimini as far as we know. Tonight was the busiest the MDR has been since Christmas night, but they kept every other side-by-side table empty for social distancing.

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Zaxanon6, are you glad you cruised or do you think you might have been happier canceling? We have to decide about Jan 24. We really don’t want FCC because we already have so much to use.

This is a hard question for a couple reasons. One, I don't want to unduly influence anyone else. What's okay for us may not be okay for you; we all have different situations. Two, the cruise isn't over yet and I don't want to jinx us. But... as of right now, today - yes, I'm glad I came on this cruise. I LOVED the ABCs and want to go back to see more. I enjoyed Christmas onboard the ship. I am so happy to have met our wonderful waiters and steward; every time I meet people from around the world, I have more appreciation for where they're from and for my own home. 

I'm also glad I came because this cruise has shown me the limit of my comfort level. I sailed on Millennium in August to Alaska and Summit in November in the Caribbean, so I'm not new to COVID cruising. The world situation was different for each of these 3 cruises. The first 2 were barely affected by COVID, but that's obviously not the case right now. I've gotten a glimpse of how bad 'bad' can be from this experience and from others writing live threads right now, in terms of both risk of exposure and impact on the cruise. And I've realized that I don't currently feel comfortable with a cruise that doesn't originate/end in the US. I've taken a lot of comfort from knowing this ship will get me back to my country in the end no matter what happens along the way. If I had to worry about if the ship is going to be allowed to dock, testing and quarantining in a place where I don't speak the language, getting home from another continent... no, thank you. I couldn't relax with all those possibilities out there. I'm very grateful to not have found my limit because a situation pushed me past it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, zaxanon6 said:

Ok, now I know it's not just me. The 'bing-bong' came over the PA system during dinner and there was an audible groan throughout the MDR. Everyone immediately went totally quiet in the whole place. The CD announced one of the main performers has tested positive, so no 7pm show tonight and maybe no 9pm show. We're still on the way to Bimini as far as we know. Tonight was the busiest the MDR has been since Christmas night, but they kept every other side-by-side table empty for social distancing.

This is a hard question for a couple reasons. One, I don't want to unduly influence anyone else. What's okay for us may not be okay for you; we all have different situations. Two, the cruise isn't over yet and I don't want to jinx us. But... as of right now, today - yes, I'm glad I came on this cruise. I LOVED the ABCs and want to go back to see more. I enjoyed Christmas onboard the ship. I am so happy to have met our wonderful waiters and steward; every time I meet people from around the world, I have more appreciation for where they're from and for my own home. 

I'm also glad I came because this cruise has shown me the limit of my comfort level. I sailed on Millennium in August to Alaska and Summit in November in the Caribbean, so I'm not new to COVID cruising. The world situation was different for each of these 3 cruises. The first 2 were barely affected by COVID, but that's obviously not the case right now. I've gotten a glimpse of how bad 'bad' can be from this experience and from others writing live threads right now, in terms of both risk of exposure and impact on the cruise. And I've realized that I don't currently feel comfortable with a cruise that doesn't originate/end in the US. I've taken a lot of comfort from knowing this ship will get me back to my country in the end no matter what happens along the way. If I had to worry about if the ship is going to be allowed to dock, testing and quarantining in a place where I don't speak the language, getting home from another continent... no, thank you. I couldn't relax with all those possibilities out there. I'm very grateful to not have found my limit because a situation pushed me past it.

Zaxanon6, you’re the best. I can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done to help your fellow cruisers. 

Last thought of the night - I'm blown away by the crew of the Silhouette. They are not allowed off the ship, so some have been stuck aboard 7 months or more. The biggest dangers to their health are the passengers that they spend their very long days serving.  They are still wonderfully gracious and friendly every single day, doing everything they can to make us happy. The CD just announced that the AV team and some performers are going to be available for a late musical performance in the theatre at 10pm. I imagine they're worried for their friends who are sick and for themselves as this omicron situation continues to unfold. But the show must go on. Very grateful for everything they do.

Edited by zaxanon6
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm from England and am also on this cruise. Thank you for your wonderful posts. I don't normally post, but what has just happened now has moved me to. My mother and I have cruised over 40 times with Celebrity. I don't think we will again. We have to have a lateral flow test to fly to the UK. Before we boarded we checked we could have it with Celebrity on the ship before we got off. We booked it with Celebrity on the ship for the last day of the cruise (tomorrow). This has now, at the last minute, been cancelled. We were just informed tonight. They are now taking place once we get off the ship, in the terminal, and we 'should' get the results in two hours.This has so many potentially negative consequences for us and I just thought people should know if they are put in a similar situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, UKcruisers10 said:

I'm from England and am also on this cruise. Thank you for your wonderful posts. I don't normally post, but what has just happened now has moved me to. My mother and I have cruised over 40 times with Celebrity. I don't think we will again. We have to have a lateral flow test to fly to the UK. Before we boarded we checked we could have it with Celebrity on the ship before we got off. We booked it with Celebrity on the ship for the last day of the cruise (tomorrow). This has now, at the last minute, been cancelled. We were just informed tonight. They are now taking place once we get off the ship, in the terminal, and we 'should' get the results in two hours.This has so many potentially negative consequences for us and I just thought people should know if they are put in a similar situation. 

This is a big deal for me (cruising early March).

Do you know if this is now official Celebrity policy or just a one off?

Presumably, the moment you're off the ship, you're no longer covered by their generous 'Cruise with Confidence' guarantee and are left to fend for yourself.

I can understand why they would do that but it should be for new bookings.

1 hour ago, Tatra603 said:

Presumably, the moment you're off the ship, you're no longer covered by their generous 'Cruise with Confidence' guarantee and are left to fend for yourself.

Have a look at Equinox roll call for 22/12 to 3/1 Malted muse from Derbyshire partner caught on board!!

6 hours ago, UKcruisers10 said:

I'm sorry to hear this. So much anxiety is not the way to end a vacation. Did they give you a reason why? They've run out of tests onboard, no one's available to do the tests, they can't process the results today, etc?

It's been quite unnerving reading the quarantine thread and roll call on Equinox. I hope Celebrity learns and never allows a situation like that again, but that doesn't help everyone caught up in it now. I think omicron was underestimated.

Good morning, not from Bimini.

The sunrise was lovely as we arrived on schedule and made a turn towards the island. But then we spun around to put the nose into the wind and just hung out for an hour. Finally the Captain made the announcement that we had been denied docking. Another 6 passengers and 8 crew have tested positive, for totals of 44 and 13.

It's disappointing to miss another port call, but I'm thankful that there are not a huge number of new cases and hope everyone recovers quickly. The port call seems insignificant with all the other worries folks have. No idea where we're going to spend the day since we're already so close to Port Everglades; we're headed WSW at 7kts right now.

10 hours ago, zaxanon6 said:

Last thought of the night - I'm blown away by the crew of the Silhouette. They are not allowed off the ship, so some have been stuck aboard 7 months or more. The biggest dangers to their health are the passengers that they spend their very long days serving.  They are still wonderfully gracious and friendly every single day, doing everything they can to make us happy. The CD just announced that the AV team and some performers are going to be available for a late musical performance in the theatre at 10pm. I imagine they're worried for their friends who are sick and for themselves as this omicron situation continues to unfold. But the show must go on. Very grateful for everything they do.

They are allowed off the ship. They had to do tours (AFAIK) , but were allowed off. 

2 minutes ago, isdoo said:

They are allowed off the ship. They had to do tours (AFAIK) , but were allowed off. 

That is not what our waiters have shared, but good if some crew have been allowed off.

4 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

I have just had a meeting with the Guest Relations Manager. You are still covered by the 'Cruise with confidence' if you test positive in the terminal, but have to book the hotel yourself and then claim. (The reason they are giving for the change, is that they are running out of tests on board). I hope this helps.

Seems that your sailing is the worst in the Celebrity fleet. Summit,edge have made all their stops. Others have only missed because of the island not accepting any ships. Ill be on there Jan 24. I hope the group before us don’t have the problems you are. I assume all ships will make masks a must from now on.

55 minutes ago, jan7summit said:

Seems that your sailing is the worst in the Celebrity fleet. Summit,edge have made all their stops. Others have only missed because of the island not accepting any ships. Ill be on there Jan 24. I hope the group before us don’t have the problems you are. I assume all ships will make masks a must from now on.

Equinox has had a harder time than us. I believe they missed 4 port calls (2 originally scheduled and 2 replacements). They also seemed to have higher case numbers (though stopped announcing them). I hope better protocols are in place and the wave is trending down by your sailing.

3 hours ago, zaxanon6 said:

Good morning, not from Bimini.

The sunrise was lovely as we arrived on schedule and made a turn towards the island. But then we spun around to put the nose into the wind and just hung out for an hour. Finally the Captain made the announcement that we had been denied docking. Another 6 passengers and 8 crew have tested positive, for totals of 44 and 13.

It's disappointing to miss another port call, but I'm thankful that there are not a huge number of new cases and hope everyone recovers quickly. The port call seems insignificant with all the other worries folks have. No idea where we're going to spend the day since we're already so close to Port Everglades; we're headed WSW at 7kts right now.

A new daily schedule was delivered this morning for the unexpected sea day. Professor Bruce did another Q&A, there were arts and crafts, and the stores opened with "sales." The pool deck is full of sun worshippers and kids playing. I've got extra OBC left from 2 excursions being cancelled, so I'm paying the spa a visit this afternoon. Tonight's theater schedule has been modified to have a single encore performance by the guest singer from a couple nights ago.

Almost all the Christmas decor is gone; there's two trees left (library and foyer) and two stars outside the Oceanview entrances. The many gingerbread houses, train sets, and garland have been removed. It's weird that the ship almost looks... boring without it.

Random musings for today:

This is my second trip on an S-class ship, in addition to 4 M-class and 1 E-class cruises. I need to give E-class another shot, but I think I'm partial to M-class. There are some cons: the balconies are smaller and the dividers don't open, there are fewer specialty restaurants and no green spaces. However, I ♥️ the Thalassotherapy pool and the cozier, more 'ship-like' feel (versus a mall). Service in the MDR (or Luminae) is so good that I don't really miss the specialty restaurants. I'm sure others have other preferences (to each their own) but I'm glad Celebrity offers different options and hopefully they won't scrap the M-class ships anytime soon.

42 minutes ago, debant said:

We will be coming on the Silhouette tomorrow, Have they now mandated everyone to wear masks inside?  Although the crew is still getting Covid and they wear masks.

We have not been told anything about mandatory making. They have strongly recommended it multiple times over the past few days, but many still do not.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UKcruisers10 said:

I am curious as to what a "lateral flow test" is?  Being from the US I've never heard of that test.  Can you explain for me please?

Just curious also if there has been any mention of refunds for the port taxes portion of your fare proportionately to the stops that you had to miss.  This would probably be in the form of cruise credit.

The cruise lines were subject to litigation a couple of years ago regard this this situation and I know the final outcome was that those monies were required to be refunded.  Not sure if it was a settlement or judgment.

13 hours ago, UKcruisers10 said:

Sorry you’ve been put in this position, the uncertainty would be a worry.
Were your flights booked as part of your celebrity booking, or organised personally? 

1 hour ago, zaxanon6 said:

A new daily schedule was delivered this morning for the unexpected sea day. Professor Bruce did another Q&A, there were arts and crafts, and the stores opened with "sales." The pool deck is full of sun worshippers and kids playing. I've got extra OBC left from 2 excursions being cancelled, so I'm paying the spa a visit this afternoon. Tonight's theater schedule has been modified to have a single encore performance by the guest singer from a couple nights ago.

Almost all the Christmas decor is gone; there's two trees left (library and foyer) and two stars outside the Oceanview entrances. The many gingerbread houses, train sets, and garland have been removed. It's weird that the ship almost looks... boring without it.

Random musings for today:

This is my second trip on an S-class ship, in addition to 4 M-class and 1 E-class cruises. I need to give E-class another shot, but I think I'm partial to M-class. There are some cons: the balconies are smaller and the dividers don't open, there are fewer specialty restaurants and no green spaces. However, I ♥️ the Thalassotherapy pool and the cozier, more 'ship-like' feel (versus a mall). Service in the MDR (or Luminae) is so good that I don't really miss the specialty restaurants. I'm sure others have other preferences (to each their own) but I'm glad Celebrity offers different options and hopefully they won't scrap the M-class ships anytime soon.

We have not been told anything about mandatory making. They have strongly recommended it multiple times over the past few days, but many still do not.

27 minutes ago, stones902 said:

Just curious also if there has been any mention of refunds for the port taxes portion of your fare proportionately to the stops that you had to miss.  This would probably be in the form of cruise credit.

The cruise lines were subject to litigation a couple of years ago regard this this situation and I know the final outcome was that those monies were required to be refunded.  Not sure if it was a settlement or judgment.

I asked the concierge; the home office is supposed to be working on it. Guest services and the concierges seem totally frazzled, so I imagine there's a lot going on behind the scenes right now.