Baltimore parking alternative

dcwalker

I can't find any parking other than at the port. My searches only yield park and cruise packages that include a hotel stay. What am I missing? Does anyone know a place we can park, other than the port? We're driving, only an hour from Baltimore and don't need a hotel. We don't really need a shuttle either. We'll Uber.

5 hours ago, dcwalker said:

I can't find any parking other than at the port. My searches only yield park and cruise packages that include a hotel stay. What am I missing? Does anyone know a place we can park, other than the port? We're driving, only an hour from Baltimore and don't need a hotel. We don't really need a shuttle either. We'll Uber.

With parking at the port only costing $15 per day it would seem to be extremely unlikely that you will find a secure parking facility in an area of the city where you'll feel comfortable about leaving your car for less than what the port charges. Even if you can find a place that will save you a couple of dollars a day by the time you add the cost of Uber to and from the port it's unlikely you'll be saving a significant amount of money...you may even be paying more in total... and you'll be subject to the inconvenience of the additional travel time between the parking facility and the port.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dcwalker said:

Why don’t you want to park at the port?

We, too, like to explore the options for things like this.  However, I have to agree with the posters above and say just park at the port.  As well as the ease of arrival, I think you will appreciate it at the end of your cruise, being able to just go to your car and head home.  If you call an uber, and then departure takes longer or shorter than you expected (or uber doesn't show up), you'll wish your car was a few steps away.

Port parking is also very secure, which might not be the case elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I imagine he could  - in Baltimore - if he did not care about coming back to find his car had no wheels or battery (if it were there at all).

That's why in my first reply to the original post I said "With parking at the port only costing $15 per day it would seem to be extremely unlikely that you will find a secure parking facility in an area of the city where you'll feel comfortable about leaving your car for less than what the port charges."

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We, too, like to explore the options for things like this.  However, I have to agree with the posters above and say just park at the port.  As well as the ease of arrival, I think you will appreciate it at the end of your cruise, being able to just go to your car and head home.  If you call an uber, and then departure takes longer or shorter than you expected (or uber doesn't show up), you'll wish your car was a few steps away.

Port parking is also very secure, which might not be the case elsewhere.

We once wanted to uber home from the port.  Problem was that the uber was delivering people to the port for the next cruise and was waiting on line to get in.  Luckily there was a taxi left in that queue. The only reason we did it was because we had a family member to drive us (but they were not able to pick us up).

As a cheapskate myself who also lives about an hour from port, just park at the port. As expensive as taxis and Ubers are these days (plus additional possible covid exposure), you likely wouldn't be able to save much after dealing with alternate parking and time loss from vacation. 

Depending on when you arrive, there maybe a huge line to get in as the luggage is dropped off from the car. I'm not sure if drop off vehicles don't have to wait in the line.

Then on pick up, there doesn't seem to be a designated area for that. As I was walking down the gangway today, these ladies were in the middle (getting the "aerial" view) trying to  find where their ride was.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 10:37 PM, dcwalker said:

I do. Spouse doesn't. He thinks he can find something for $5 or so a night and a short Uber ride to the port. Can he?

Not a chance for $5 parking.  The terminal in Baltimore is so convenient to I-95 that getting in and out is easy, and getting on your way after the cruise is a snap.  Wish parking was this easy at other ports.

• 11 months later...