Encore - Taino Bay, Puerto Plata - Docking?

limeyalchemist

Does anyone know whether the Encore is docking at Taino Bay or Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic, Dec '21 and Jan '22?

From what I have read, Taino Bay is now a possible alternative in Puerto Plata, but there is very little available about Taino Bay and its amenities, since it just opened Dec 15th (approx.)

If anyone knows of a current port schedule or map of the facilities there, I would appreciate seeing these.  We're sailing to Puerto Plata on Jan 9th and are wondering where we'll be docking.

Thanks.

I was on the Encore that docked there Dec. 17. We were either the first or second ship ever at the port, and it showed a bit in the organization and execution of the shore excursions. It's a nice port, not completely finished and some shops were not yet open, but there was plenty of shopping, a bar with some swing chairs, a very small "beach" area by the water and a nice swimming pool. 

On 12/27/2021 at 7:11 AM, limeyalchemist said:

Does anyone know whether the Encore is docking at Taino Bay or Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic, Dec '21 and Jan '22?

From what I have read, Taino Bay is now a possible alternative in Puerto Plata, but there is very little available about Taino Bay and its amenities, since it just opened Dec 15th (approx.)

If anyone knows of a current port schedule or map of the facilities there, I would appreciate seeing these.  We're sailing to Puerto Plata on Jan 9th and are wondering where we'll be docking.

Thanks.

https://www.porttainobay.com/en/#llegada

Cruise calendar for Taino Bay

We were there last week...though it rained most of the day.  I jumped off the ship and ran over to the port for a quick visit once it stopped raining and took these photos.  It seems like it is a really nice place, and would have been fun to spend the day there.

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7283.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 1:51 PM, omyjamie said:

That looks so nice! Is that an area that you reserve from an excursion to visit? Or can you just walk up and purchase a bed or umbrella?

I got the impression that people could just walk up and use the pool and chairs.  There wasn't any signage indicating otherwise.  The area in those pics (which I hope the PP @buzzard05 will add to my thread) is in an area only accessible to cruise passengers, so how crowded it will be will vary depending on what ship(s?) is docked.

I was literally only over there for about 20 minutes.  It stopped raining at around 5:30...I ran off the ship, had a beer at the bar, and ran back on before the 6:30 call.  It was my impression that this area is first come first served...but it may be different on a busier day (there were only a few people in the pool area when I was there).  

One thing to be careful with as you walk around the shops, are the little "fountain" areas between the sidewalks.  If you aren't paying attention, it would be very easy to just walk into one of them (you will see what I mean when you get there).

@buzzard05“One thing to be careful with as you walk around the shops, are the little "fountain" areas between the sidewalks.  If you aren't paying attention, it would be very easy to just walk into one of them (you will see what I mean when you get there).“

lol 

DH said the exact same thing, that the next time we visited that port he expected them to be filled in or fenced off.  I didn’t get a very good pic of the ones in front of the stores, but I did get a better pic where you can see one “stream” in a central area by one of the bars.

9CDF03CD-59C8-4F6F-91CE-CFC9F01F2203.jpeg

5CA4D080-BD05-40C0-A771-463FBE6D9032.jpeg

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1