Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

In Viking's defense, hey did mention that change in the port talk, but yes, they could at least update it in the app.

Did Viking explain that you would not be seeing the Asian side in the port talk as well? 

35 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

Did Viking explain that you would not be seeing the Asian side in the port talk as well? 

As I explained in the post, in the port talk, he emphasized that this tour would explore BOTH the Asian and European sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoopan said:
Is it possible get a peek at the spa prices, ie manicure, haircut , massage and fitness trainer? I have never cruised with Viking. Trying to develop a budget. Thanks

I'll will refrain from quoting Viking's service pricing. I'm sure that they will tell you if you call.

18 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Seeing this has convinced me to pass on ever seeing Hagia Sophia. Just too sad.

Going to Istanbul and not seeing the Hagia Sophia would be a crime. No matter how one feels about the current government, the edifice is so historic and so beautiful it would be a real shame to miss experiencing it. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

I'll will refrain from quoting Viking's service pricing. I'm sure that they will tell you if you call.

Thank you for responding. No they don’t. Will only give a menu. I understand somewhat since prices will surely change. I don’t need exact, just ranges. 

14 hours ago, scoopan said:
Is it possible get a peek at the spa prices, ie manicure, haircut , massage and fitness trainer? I have never cruised with Viking. Trying to develop a budget. Thanks

Scoopan, recently somewhere on Cruise Critic someone posted a list of spa services with prices. I  know you asked this question earlier this week on the Neptune WC thread and I have looked for it with the CC search function (which isn’t very good) and I can’t find it. Hopefully the member who posted it will post it again in response to your query. Or you might want to start a topic. I know that there is a recent list available. 

1 hour ago, scoopan said:

Thank you for responding. No they don’t. Will only give a menu. I understand somewhat since prices will surely change. I don’t need exact, just ranges. 

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

Scoopan, recently somewhere on Cruise Critic someone posted a list of spa services with prices. I  know you asked this question earlier this week on the Neptune WC thread and I have looked for it with the CC search function (which isn’t very good) and I can’t find it. Hopefully the member who posted it will post it again in response to your query. Or you might want to start a topic. I know that there is a recent list available. 

I agree with Milly and I too can’t find it…but there is a picture of pricing in the blogger’s review Ive linked below. Unfortunately it isn’t dated so not sure how accurate it is.

I will say that it’s my recollection of the pricing was comparable or slightly cheaper than what I experienced on Celebrity.  I know that in 2018, the 20 minute foot and leg massage was under $40 as that was how much shipboard credit we had remaining and after the massage I had enough for a double amaretto! 😂

Here is the link:

https://welltravelled.com.au/cruise/viking-ocean-cruise-spa-review/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I agree with Milly and I too can’t find it…but there is a picture of pricing in the blogger’s review Ive linked below. Unfortunately it isn’t dated so not sure how accurate it is.

I will say that it’s my recollection of the pricing was comparable or slightly cheaper than what I experienced on Celebrity.  I know that in 2018, the 20 minute foot and leg massage was under $40 as that was how much shipboard credit we had remaining and after the massage I had enough for a double amaretto! 😂

Here is the link:

https://welltravelled.com.au/cruise/viking-ocean-cruise-spa-review/

Great photos on that link. Thanks for posting it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:26 AM, scoopan said:

I have only had a massage and the cost was $159 for 50 minutes for either Swedish or Deep Tissue.  This was both 2020 pre pandemic and 2021.  I get a haircut before the cruise and self manicure with a nail clipper.  🙂

23 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 119/152 - Athens (Piraeus), Greece - My big fat Greek day!

Garry, What a wonderful day you and Arlona had. I personally, greatly appreciate when you give Viking credit for things they have done well and just as much appreciate knowing when Viking could be better. Keep on keeping on and enjoying your cruise.

• Like 2

I am so enjoying your posts , Gary and also the blog of Ted and Rose. Together you  give me such a  wonderful  ride along on your world cruise.

The day in Athens with the incredible lunch an folk  dancing made made my day. I love Greek food,  culture and loved Athens when I was there visiting all the same sites. The first time I saw the acropolis was heart stopping for me. I was a classics major in college. 

I wonder if the   other former  Viking world cruises had extensive special foods  on board  special and  unexpected special events.

It is indeed a trip of lifetime. I love your passion , humor, writing style and of course your great pictures.  

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 119/152 - Athens (Piraeus), Greece - My big fat Greek day!

Garry, such a fine travelogue!  We're reliving our Dec. 2021 Greek Odyssey Venus cruise.  V provided a truly authentic Greek cultural experience for you folks.  I'm so envious! Athens is a unique place, glad you got to see it.  The natl. Archeology museum is wonderful.  Hope you enjoy its treasures.     Καλό ταξίδι ! ( A good journey/trip). Perhaps V will provide a Greek buffet lunch, tomorrow, like we had just loved in Dec.  I know you're enjoying Greek cuisine!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 120/152 - Athens (Piraeus), Greece day 2 - Old stuff

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/04/world-cruise-day-120152-athens-piraeus.html

That John Cleese photo below the soldiers. I about died. 

Did your guide say anything about why those elite Greek soldiers wear the shoes with pom-poms and pouffy skirts with tights? This is not an outfit to strike fear into the heart of an enemy. I’ve always wondered what the history behind it was. 

You were in Greece on the most holy of days, Great or Good Friday.  You saw the  Επιτάφιος , ( tomb of Christ), decorated with flowers, a tradition followed in every Orthodox church in the world, on Great  Friday. Had you been there for the evening service, you would have witnessed its outdoor procession with clergy, choir and faithful. I just returned home from our church's Good Friday service.  1st normal one since 2019.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

That John Cleese photo below the soldiers. I about died. 

Did your guide say anything about why those elite Greek soldiers wear the shoes with pom-poms and pouffy skirts with tights? This is not an outfit to strike fear into the heart of an enemy. I’ve always wondered what the history behind it was. 

The skirt has 400 pleats to mark the 400 years of Ottoman occupation. They used to hide knives in the pom, making a kick especially deadly. No word on the tights.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

You were in Greece on the most holy of days, Great or Good Friday.  You saw the  Επιτάφιος , ( tomb of Christ), decorated with flowers, a tradition followed in every Orthodox church in the world, on Great  Friday. Had you been there for the evening service, you would have witnessed its outdoor procession with clergy, choir and faithful. I just returned home from our church's Good Friday service.  1st normal one since 2019.

Yes! We couldn’t process outside last night because of rain. But today is glorious, and we’ll be outside tonight, clanging the bells at 2 am and waking the neighbors, then feasting until we stagger home at 4 am. Happy Pascha!

• Like 1

Clay Clayton, Millybess, SDHusker, and TayanaLorna thank you so much for your helpful information. It will make creating a budget  much more realist with a starting point.  If I left anyone out, my apologies.    

• Like 4