Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

20 minutes ago, Hark33 said:

Happy to hear that Arlona has tested negative. Did the Viking Star medical staff treated her with antiviral medication (like Paxlovid) when she was in quarantine?

Viking only treated her with over the counter meds like Tylenol, cough drops, and cough syrup.

3 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Viking only treated her with over the counter meds like Tylenol, cough drops, and cough syrup.

Had a friend with Covid who asked for the anti viral from his doctor.  Was told he was not sick enough.

14 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Had a friend with Covid who asked for the anti viral from his doctor.  Was told he was not sick enough.

My understanding is that a monoclonal antibody can be given up to 7 days after symptoms begin. Needs to be confirmed with a positive PCR. 

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Same here. Though I didn’t really ask for it, just asked my doctor if he thought I needed it and he said no. I never progressed past cold symptoms, so he was right.

The only one of our Covid group of 30+ people who did get the antiviral was in her 80s and somewhat fragile health. She did fine.

Edited by Twitchly

So good to see BOTH OF YOU in these pictures!  I've enjoyed every minute of your blog, and hope you'll find time to continue telling us about your adventures for the next 11 days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 152/163 Viking Homelands - Stockholm, Sweden - Ding Dong, Quarantine's Gone!

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/05/world-cruise-day-152163-viking.html

It was great to see Katy (she was on the Jupiter with us in February!!)  Glad to see she has not shed her heels!  Also, Wendy, a great GM whom we enjoyed on the Orion when we did the Panama Canal at Thanksgiving!!  What an awesome cruise you have had!

• Like 1

Uplifting post!  So happy for you and Arlona and that you'll be enjoying another 11 days cruising together.  We've been to Stockholm several times.  Your photos brought back great memories of our visits there.  It's a beautiful city.  If you get a chance, take the metro a couple of times - some of their stations are amazingly decorated!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 153/163 Scenic Scandinavia - Stockholm, Sweden - Day #2 in Stockholm - and we're the last World Cruisers standing

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/05/world-cruise-day-153163-scenic.html

Today you mentioned that the Vasa is the World's only preserved warship.

HM Dockyard in Portsmouth has the HMS Mary Rose in a similar climate-controlled building. She was the pride of King Henry VIII, but sank in the Solent, after 30+ yrs of sterling service. After 400+ yrs, she was brought to the surface in the 1980's and housed in a special building constructed in one of the smaller graving docks.

She isn't 98% original, but she is also a restored warship, similar to Vasa. The HM Dockyard also has HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.

• Like 4

Wow, that seems like a lot of staff turnover in just a few months. Do you know whether most of them moved on to other Viking ships, or what?

The ice bar looks fun. Can’t imagine working there, though. Brrrrr!

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Wow, that seems like a lot of staff turnover in just a few months. Do you know whether most of them moved on to other Viking ships, or what?

The ice bar looks fun. Can’t imagine working there, though. Brrrrr!

Most contracts are 4-6 months according to the staff, and since they all don't start at the same time, that's pretty normal. There was tons of turnover all through the ship. Most take 1-3 months off and then start a new contract. All we spoke to were coming back to Viking.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Most contracts are 4-6 months according to the staff, and since they all don't start at the same time, that's pretty normal. There was tons of turnover all through the ship. Most take 1-3 months off and then start a new contract. All we spoke to were coming back to Viking.

But 4 Cruise Directors?  We've only done a sector of a World Cruise, but the CD was on for the whole trip, and I'd just presumed that would always be the case.  Like it was 'Their' World cruise.   Did it change the feel of what was happening, or would no-one really notice?

Loving your continued daily updates!

5 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

But 4 Cruise Directors?  We've only done a sector of a World Cruise, but the CD was on for the whole trip, and I'd just presumed that would always be the case.  Like it was 'Their' World cruise.   Did it change the feel of what was happening, or would no-one really notice?

Loving your continued daily updates!

For the actual worlf cruise, we had three and another starts today, but this is a different cruise. Aaron was supposed to do most of it and then Katy would finish it, but Aaron was pulled early to open another ship and one of his assistants, Damian, filled the roll for about six weeks until Katy could join.

And yes, the feel changed, but that wasn't a bad thing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 153/163 Scenic Scandinavia - Stockholm, Sweden - Day #2 in Stockholm - and we're the last World Cruisers standing

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/05/world-cruise-day-153163-scenic.html

Glad you enjoyed the ice bar.  We did this in Copenhagen and like you thought it was a little steep for two drinks but a great deal of fun.  My mother-in-law loved the experience but didn’t care for her drink. LOL. Maybe you can visit the one in Copenhagen too!

6F247EA5-DEBC-4308-B96F-433B3BD90638.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Today you mentioned that the Vasa is the World's only preserved warship.

HM Dockyard in Portsmouth has the HMS Mary Rose in a similar climate-controlled building. She was the pride of King Henry VIII, but sank in the Solent, after 30+ yrs of sterling service. After 400+ yrs, she was brought to the surface in the 1980's and housed in a special building constructed in one of the smaller graving docks.

She isn't 98% original, but she is also a restored warship, similar to Vasa. The HM Dockyard also has HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.

Some of the Viking (people not cruise line) ships in museums eg Oslo and Roskilde are preserved warships. 

In the US USS Constitution could be said to be preserved? 

Could go back to Neolithic hollowed out logs? 

Interesting topic, am likely to be spending some time on the Internet next time I'm somewhere with a decent connection. 

Very old joke, 'Are those warships?' 

'No, they've got their own' 

Maybe it is the only warship that sunk after going 1,300 meters. I can't imagine the feeling they must have had when it went down! Years and years of work and so much money. It looks amazing.

As a side note, my wife and I got Covid this past January and we are both dealing with long term symptoms. Just today she got hit with the feeling of being totally drained. They seem to last a couple weeks, then we are good for a couple of weeks, and then we get hit with something else.

Wishing you both only the best.

16 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Maybe it is the only warship that sunk after going 1,300 meters. I can't imagine the feeling they must have had when it went down! Years and years of work and so much money. It looks amazing.

As a side note, my wife and I got Covid this past January and we are both dealing with long term symptoms. Just today she got hit with the feeling of being totally drained. They seem to last a couple weeks, then we are good for a couple of weeks, and then we get hit with something else.

Wishing you both only the best.

I am so sorry to hear that.  Were you both vaccinated and with booster?