Testing - Now What?

teacherman

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

The free test will probably not qualify for those who need a test in order to cruise, because they won’t be the proctored kind

Yes I mentioned that in one of my previous posts.  But I think the at home free tests for the general public will take some of the appointment-pressure off some of the test centers that cruisers need to go to.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No politics here intended in my remarks.  But I should have said that the media and government reports indicate that we will start to see these free tests in January and at least hopefully we will see the website set up and activated for ordering them.  As this gets going no matter the timeframe, it should take some of the pressure off the local test centers where people can get their rapid tests for their cruises and travel.  OK so sometimes on rare occasion,  I am an optimist!  

You are exactly right, it will take some pressure off local centers. I’m just exasperated about the testing. There has been some investment into tests, but nothing like at the level as for vaccines - was that a correct decision, definitely, but it is disingenuous to be clamoring for testing now, when market forces have been allowed to govern the demand up until now.

The cynical part of me says that certain persons advising the 2 different administrations have held off really pushing the need for repeated testing until their favored (and owned/invested in/developed) test system is ready for FDA.  I know that’s only a small part of the issue, but I’m just too cynical after 2 years of this.

One round of free lateral flow tests is going to do very little. The person has to be symptomatic in a relatively narrow period of time, or the tests need to be done repeatedly on a regular schedule, as sports teams are doing. I’m going to be interested to see what exactly they tell people to do with the tests - take them immediately? Wait for symptoms? Pool tests at schools and day cares? Use them for personal travel or work?

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

You are exactly right, it will take some pressure off local centers. I’m just exasperated about the testing. There has been some investment into tests, but nothing like at the level as for vaccines - was that a correct decision, definitely, but it is disingenuous to be clamoring for testing now, when market forces have been allowed to govern the demand up until now.

The cynical part of me says that certain persons advising the 2 different administrations have held off really pushing the need for repeated testing until their favored (and owned/invested in/developed) test system is ready for FDA.  I know that’s only a small part of the issue, but I’m just too cynical after 2 years of this.

One round of free lateral flow tests is going to do very little. The person has to be symptomatic in a relatively narrow period of time, or the tests need to be done repeatedly on a regular schedule, as sports teams are doing. I’m going to be interested to see what exactly they tell people to do with the tests - take them immediately? Wait for symptoms? Pool tests at schools and day cares? Use them for personal travel or work?

As far as your cynicism.  The tests that the government seem to be buying seem to be some of those that have been around for most of the pandemic. Have not seen a new entry that is the focus of purchasing.

Basically you had one administration that had the view that the best way to cut down on the number of cases was to simply test less.

The second administration had the benefits of the vaccines and focused almost exclusively on the theme that vaccination could and would solve the problems if everyone would just get vaccinated.

Even though a survey of epidemiologists projected that the majority expected a largely vaccine  resistant strain by early 2022.  Little to no action was taken to prepare.