Does anyone here speak MSC?

Rhea98

Seriously, I am having a difficult time comprehending my Future Cruise Credit:

Please consider this email to be your 125% Future Cruise Credit voucher equal to the amount of  $ 4431.10  which  can be used on any open sailing booked by April 30, 2022. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied at the time of booking toward your stateroom as well as items such as specialty dining, beverage packages, Wi-Fi, spa treatments and more. (It excludes government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment). As an added level of comfort, if your Future Cruise Credit is unused by April 30, 2022, you will automatically receive a full refund equal to the original amount paid.

The $4431.10 is the total I'd paid to MSC [$384 prepaid gratuities+$426 insurance+$3621.10 cruise (fare $2981.10+taxes/fees $640)] The cruise fee plus gratuities was placed on credit card 1 on 7/13/21; the insurance money was put on credit card 2 on 9/29/21.

First question: 125% of what? On what part is the 125% based? 

Second question: What does this mean? 

On 10/6/21, our Seashore TA was cancelled. On 11/5/2021, we received the FCC "voucher" with the words I've copied above. On 11/10/21, I booked another cruise which came to a total (no extras paid at this time) of $3431.20. After the voucher was applied, the balance remaining was $999.90. 

Dec 13, 21, MSC refunded $801.90 to credit card 1. On Dec 13, 21, MSC refunded $198. to credit card 2. 

I assumed (yes, I know), that it was the "government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment" even though the numbers didn't add up. I figured some of the taxes & fees were not refunded to MSC so they, naturally, would not refund to us. 

Today I called to have the $999.90 applied to a cruise. I was told that it had been refunded: $801.90 to credit card 1 and $198 (of $426) to credit card 2. That did add up so that all the $$ I'd given to MSC had been applied to a new cruise with a refund of the excess. No mention of calculation of the 25% bonus. Melissa said that the extra 25% could be based on the cabin fares, but that didn't add up, either. 

Back to the original questions: 125% of what, and what constitutes the gov taxes & fees and prepaid items which have not been separately refunded to an original form of payment?

I was on the phone for nearly 2 hours trying to understand. Melissa was very patient and tried to explain as best she could without having privy to the MSC financial records. I can (and will if I can't comprehend what MSC is doing) cancel the up-coming cruises and just get the refunds. Before I give it up, I'm hoping someone can explain it to me. 

Any real help is appreciated.

I think the term "MSC Speak" might be appropriate.  And now you have one more reason why we book through an excellent discount cruise agency (who gives us extra OBC) and can sometimes understand "MSC Speak."  When it comes to MSC (only in the YC) we are never sure what to expect either pre-cruise or once aboard!  The line is always an adventure :).

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhea98 said:

Seriously, I am having a difficult time comprehending my Future Cruise Credit:

Please consider this email to be your 125% Future Cruise Credit voucher equal to the amount of  $ 4431.10  which  can be used on any open sailing booked by April 30, 2022. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied at the time of booking toward your stateroom as well as items such as specialty dining, beverage packages, Wi-Fi, spa treatments and more. (It excludes government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment). As an added level of comfort, if your Future Cruise Credit is unused by April 30, 2022, you will automatically receive a full refund equal to the original amount paid.

The $4431.10 is the total I'd paid to MSC [$384 prepaid gratuities+$426 insurance+$3621.10 cruise (fare $2981.10+taxes/fees $640)] The cruise fee plus gratuities was placed on credit card 1 on 7/13/21; the insurance money was put on credit card 2 on 9/29/21.

First question: 125% of what? On what part is the 125% based? 

Second question: What does this mean? 

On 10/6/21, our Seashore TA was cancelled. On 11/5/2021, we received the FCC "voucher" with the words I've copied above. On 11/10/21, I booked another cruise which came to a total (no extras paid at this time) of $3431.20. After the voucher was applied, the balance remaining was $999.90. 

Dec 13, 21, MSC refunded $801.90 to credit card 1. On Dec 13, 21, MSC refunded $198. to credit card 2. 

I assumed (yes, I know), that it was the "government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment" even though the numbers didn't add up. I figured some of the taxes & fees were not refunded to MSC so they, naturally, would not refund to us. 

Today I called to have the $999.90 applied to a cruise. I was told that it had been refunded: $801.90 to credit card 1 and $198 (of $426) to credit card 2. That did add up so that all the $$ I'd given to MSC had been applied to a new cruise with a refund of the excess. No mention of calculation of the 25% bonus. Melissa said that the extra 25% could be based on the cabin fares, but that didn't add up, either. 

Back to the original questions: 125% of what, and what constitutes the gov taxes & fees and prepaid items which have not been separately refunded to an original form of payment?

I was on the phone for nearly 2 hours trying to understand. Melissa was very patient and tried to explain as best she could without having privy to the MSC financial records. I can (and will if I can't comprehend what MSC is doing) cancel the up-coming cruises and just get the refunds. Before I give it up, I'm hoping someone can explain it to me. 

Any real help is appreciated.

What was the total price of your cruise fare with out port fees, insurance and pre-paid gratuties?

Did you put it on a Credit Card? If you did, dispute the charge with your Credit Card company. They should get a satisfactory response within 30 days. I have done this twice with MSC using my Citi CC and they suspended the charge while awaiting MSC response.

Stay Safe and Happy New Year!

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Any extra 25% would be based on the cruise fare paid only and not the added taxes and port fees.

Thanks. This is what I thought until I received the voucher email.  In the event this would be correct, what happens to port taxes and fees plus any other payments made such as gratuities and insurance? In my case, those charges totalled $1450--more than half (745.29) of which I have not received. 

1 minute ago, Rhea98 said:

Thanks. This is what I thought until I received the voucher email.  In the event this would be correct, what happens to port taxes and fees plus any other payments made such as gratuities and insurance? In my case, those charges totalled $1450--more than half (745.29) of which I have not received. 

They will refund them to original form of payment

4 hours ago, Oxo said:

Did you put it on a Credit Card? If you did, dispute the charge with your Credit Card company. They should get a satisfactory response within 30 days. I have done this twice with MSC using my Citi CC and they suspended the charge while awaiting MSC response.

Stay Safe and Happy New Year!

Yes. I placed the insurance on a separate card so I can easily request the full amount ($426) rather than the $198. be returned.  As for charges on the other card, it doesn't seem so simple unless I simply cancel the new cruise for a full refund. I used my Chase SR. 

11 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

From what I have read from others in your situation the taxes and fees were refunded in full, luckily in the UK we do not have this issue due to inclusive prices and the Full cost or Deposit is either a FCC or Refund.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had read from others that the fees, etc had been refunded.

I FINALLY figured out the deal with the Seashore TA MSC cancellation. The problem originated (no, not because it's MSC--well, maybe) because the info about compensation in the cancellation letter was different than the info in the FCC letter.

from Cancellation letter: (the BOLD is from MSC; highlights are mine)

GUEST COMPENSATION

If you booked through MSC Cruises USA and have already paid for your cruise in full, we will provide you a 100% Future Cruise Creditof the amount paid to MSC Cruises. 
In addition to the 100% Future Cruise Credit, you are eligible for additional perks when you redeem your cruise credit.
  • If your rebooked cruise is 6 nights or less, you will receive $100 onboard credit per stateroom to use on your next cruise. Those booked in a single occupancy stateroom will receive $50 onboard credit per stateroom. 
  • If your rebooked cruise is 7+ nights, you will receive $200 onboard credit per stateroom to use on your next cruise. Those booked in a single occupancy stateroom will receive $100 onboard credit per stateroom.

from FCC letter:

Please consider this email to be your 125% Future Cruise Credit voucher equal to the amount of  $ 4431.10  which  can be used on any open sailing booked by April 30, 2022. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied at the time of booking toward your stateroom as well as items such as specialty dining, beverage packages, Wi-Fi, spa treatments and more. (It excludes government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment).

So, it appears that no one cared to (or knew to) change the info in the FCC letter. 125% is a common offer in my limited experience with cruises canceled by the cruise lines. I guess MSC believed that was too much to offer under the current economic circumstances. IDK. I did book another cruise with about $1000 remaining FCC balance that was refunded to my credit cards. Between the new cruise and the refund, I got my money back. What I didn't get was any "in addition to..." Now I understand when the agent mentioned the $200 OBC during my last phone call---the $200 OBC which is still not showing. Hopefully, that will be a lot easier to correct than the mess I thought it was. 

I typically read everything and, generally, remember what I've read. I think it all went to hell @8:00AM on New Year's Eve when a couple of does decided to cross the country road while I was driving on it. Right after I swerved to miss the first one, the second one ran right into my door. We were not hurt. You think MSC is a mess? Try buying a new car during a pandemic: supply is low; prices are beyond scalping.  

I really appreciate all the help. Every response kept the synapses sparking (it just takes a bit longer these days 🥴 ).