Chasing Northern lIghts excursion questions

SoBaycruiser

We are booked on a 2022 Northern Lights cruise and the excursions were recently posted.  This is our first Viking cruise and to be honest I thought the information given for the chasing northern lights excursions was sorely lacking.  It mentions guides will study the forecast and go to various places in attempt to see the lights.   But no where does it mention whether there will be toilet facilities during the 3-4 hour excursions.  It mentions a snack but doesn’t mention if if will be something warm to eat or drink.  Lastly, most private tours all mention special warm clothing will be provided but I see nothing like that mentioned in this description.

Anyone been on a ship’s “chasing” northern lights excursion and know the answers?  

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Another question… If we book this excursion and decide to cancel either the trip or just this excursion, do we receive a credit or do we get a refund.

anyone?

Some folks suggest canceling any shorex first, waiting until the credit posts to your card, and then cancel the cruise.  Avoids any question of credit to credit card or voucher.  

• Like 1

We did the Northern Lights cruise in Feb 2019.  We love Viking but disembarked without seeing the lights.  We originally booked an excursion in Alta but it was cancelled.  We rescheduled one in Alta.  There were 5 busses and we drove an hour to get to the site.  There was a building with a restroom, cake, and coffee.  We walked around for 2 hours but didn’t see any lights.  It was cold outside but not unbearably so.  We wore our own appropriate clothing and it was fine.  An hour bus ride back to the ship.  

If we were to do it again, we’d arrange for a private shuttle bus tour.  You need to be able to visit multiple locations and to stay out for a longer period of time.  GLOD did the Viking excursion and also offers private tours.  

• Like 1

We did this in March '19 (the one that ran into the severe storm and so ended early). I, too, was concerned about the restroom situation for the evening excursion. Not a problem since the lodge had facilities. Biggest issue was taking off enough layers of clothes LOL  So I wouldn't be overly worried about it. I'm sure all of GLØD's locations offer similar facilities. 

• Like 1

I was on the same trip as OTJ.  There was no problem as far as facilities when on the excursions.  We did see the lights on one Viking sponsored excursion and it was beautiful.  With that said, there were more opportunities it seemed when we were on the ship.  It may have been due to clouds as we had quite a few nights when they were a factor.  As OTJ mentioned, you do need to dress in layers.  I did not have an issue with that because I wore one of my ski outfits.  The one thing to remember is you will need patience!  The lights may not be out for hours, and then appear suddenly for minutes or even hours.  Once you see the lights though you will know it was worth the wait and having to dress up in layers.    JohnEB

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

Once you see the lights though you will know it was worth the wait and having to dress up in layers.

AND be ready to heed the announcements from the ship if a sighting is located!  Funny watching everyone get up from dessert at dinner and make their way out on the decks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning to anyone currently on Venus …. How many PAX are there on board please and also are you really in Zeebrugge today, Thursday, and if so why. Is this a one off? We are doing same cruise on 5th February so have an interest. Have a great time Cheers

1 hour ago, portisheadblue said:

Good Morning to anyone currently on Venus …. How many PAX are there on board please and also are you really in Zeebrugge today, Thursday, and if so why. Is this a one off? We are doing same cruise on 5th February so have an interest. Have a great time Cheers

Oh dear …. Seems the tracking web sites think you are in Zeebrugge but the webcam looks like a very foggy North Sea - Enjoy !

6 hours ago, portisheadblue said:

Oh dear …. Seems the tracking web sites think you are in Zeebrugge but the webcam looks like a very foggy North Sea - Enjoy !

If it helps, MarineTraffic shows they departed Zeebrugge at 14:19 this afternoon. Now bound for Bodo, Norway with an ETA of 16th Jan at 13:30 (Z+1)

• Like 2

We are currently on the Viking Venus. Re the itinerary, our stop in Stavenger was canceled for unknown reasons and so we went to Belgium for the day. Yesterday, due to high winds, our stop in Bodo was canceled and we were to go to Lecknes in the Lofoten Islands instead. But now there are high winds there as well and so we are headed straight to Tromso arriving tonight. I’m guessing  we’ll have 2 overnights there and resume the original routing after that. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 1:15 AM, portisheadblue said:

You may want to check out the February 5 roll call as there is a good deal of information on it following the 1/12/22 sailing and pre planning information for 2/5/22.

• Like 2

If you do a search, (I am hoping it is still listed), you will find a very interesting thread from us who were on the Viking Sky during that famous incident.  I believe the thread name was called "In search of the northern lights", but I could be wrong.  If you find that thread you will see many pictures we took on the cruise of the lights, and other things, as well as some info from onboard seminars & personal experiences for photographing the lights.   If you can't find in, I am sure some of us who posted on that thread can provide more insight.  I did not want to automatically duplicate that info if it is still out there.  JohnEB