Mahjong question

bluesplayer

On the Koningsdam there were 2 sets on the ship, for our sailing we had 7- 10 people show up to play. Bring your NMJL card with you, most players had their cards and a few shared theirs.  The ship had a room set aside with the times listed in the “When & Where” on sea days. We had a great time playing. 

Yes! I teach and play Mahjongg and there are several sets on the  Rotterdam and we meet daily. There were 2 2021 cards in the box, although I brought mine "just in case". The people I have been playing with never heard of CC. So I can honestly say they are kind of thinking they know it all.. So without written rules, I can't tell them they have no idea what they are talking about. I keep my mouth shut and play along...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yes! I teach and play Mahjongg and there are several sets on the  Rotterdam and we meet daily. There were 2 2021 cards in the box, although I brought mine "just in case". The people I have been playing with never heard of CC. So I can honestly say they are kind of thinking they know it all.. So without written rules, I can't tell them they have no idea what they are talking about. I keep my mouth shut and play along...

I can imagine..  although I am a new player our instructor made sure we knew the professional rules.  She did explain people sometimes do not follow them.  I certainly will yet as a beginner may need a reminder.  Hoping not to be East!!   Easier to follow along..

• 1 year later...

Just off the Zuiderdam and they had a special area set up for Mahjongg.  It is where I have seen Art for purchase on past cruises.  Only saw players there once.  Most times it was empty.  

Edited by happercamper
trying to add picture not link to file

We were on the Noordam last fall on the San Diego/Sydney and circumnavigation of Australia cruise.  Mah jongg was scheduled every afternoon in the Half Moon roomon deck 3.  HAL provided four sets.  Passenger were playing American Mah jongg rules and brought their own 2022 cards.  In addition there were two more MJ sets in the game area of the Crows nest on deck 10.  In October, 2021 we were on the Rotterdam transatlantic.  HAL had four sets available and we played in the MDR on deck 3 next to the bridge players.  We will be on the Oosterdam this November.  I am fairly sure people will be playing MJ. 

8 hours ago, WisRiver said:

We were on the Noordam last fall on the San Diego/Sydney and circumnavigation of Australia cruise.  Mah jongg was scheduled every afternoon in the Half Moon roomon deck 3.  HAL provided four sets.  Passenger were playing American Mah jongg rules and brought their own 2022 cards.  In addition there were two more MJ sets in the game area of the Crows nest on deck 10.  In October, 2021 we were on the Rotterdam transatlantic.  HAL had four sets available and we played in the MDR on deck 3 next to the bridge players.  We will be on the Oosterdam this November.  I am fairly sure people will be playing MJ. 

For a non-American, could you please explain American Mah Jong? And what are these cards you refer. I play weekly in a Mah Jong club in New Zealand  but get the feeling that perhaps we play differently  to you. 

We used to play Mah Jong as a family growing up.  I am also interested to know the difference between the "American" and "Traditional" versions.  I'm pretty sure we played a traditional game but I learned the rules from my parents so who knows 🙂.  

From Wikipedia:

"American mahjong is a form of mahjong standardized by the National Mah Jongg League[12] and the American Mah-Jongg Association.[13] It uses joker tiles, the Charleston, plus melds of five or more tiles, treats bonus tiles as honors, and eschews the chow and the notion of a standard hand. Legal hands are changed annually. Purists claim that this makes American mahjong a separate game. In addition, the NMJL and AMJA variations, which have minor scoring differences, are commonly referred to as mahjongg or mah-jongg (with 2 Gs, often hyphenated)"

The easiest way to tell if you are playing American Mah Jong is the use of joker tiles and a card describing winning hands.  I have seen people on board playing traditional Mah Jong with their own sets.   

Thanks for the explanation and the link. I understand better now. I've played all my life. My father bought a traditional Mah Jong set in Hong Kong in the 1950s. Maybe there will be some other traditional game players on our two cruises next year. Looks like you could play the traditional game with the sets provided if you remove the Joker tiles. Here they're optional and we only use four of them. We call them Looseys.