The Cancel Or Cruise, No Judgement Zone, Thread.

Guindalf

On 1/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, Guindalf said:

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity. This is intended as a no judgement zone, so keep your opinions to yourself.

All I'd like to know is whether you have decided to cancel or keep your booking and cruise. So if you've made that decision, please go ahead and tell us...

Date of sailing:

Cancel or Cruise:

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:

I would ask you to respect each other. neither choice is right or wrong, just personal.

Date of Sailing:  January 15, 2022

Cancel or Cruise: Cancelled

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans: We have 4 other cruises still coming up in 2022

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice: Just decided even though vaxxed and boosted it wasn't worth the risk being 72 and 64  years young. Next cruise is 4/3/22 and we will be monitoring the situation.

• Thanks 1

4/8 TransAtlantic on the Silhouette.

F/Payment is the 8th of Jan.

Most likely will cancel unless they change the final payment date. Too many unknowns. 

No idea what to do about rebooking- we will get a FCC for our deposit which has to be applied by end of May, with a sailing for Dec. 31,2022 (I think those are the exact dates). 

We are/were connecting with a river cruise on another line and no idea what they are going to do. 

Never have I tried to travel with so many lose ends and unknowns. I really don't know what to do- and there is a lot of planning to do if we are going. First time booked on Celebrity so don't even know what to expect but 14 days is a long time if CoVid is still a significant issue. 

I am soooo tired of all of this. But sadly, CoVid doesn't seem to be all that tired of us. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, Fouremco said:

There seems to be some debate as to whether or not FCC's can be applied to Beyond sailings. You might want to pursue this with Celebrity.

last month I transferred a Reflection B2b to a Beyond B2b--The people at Celebrity, first one called, said no way on the FCC transfer and also that persons supervisior.

I went ahead and booked the 2023 cruises, on hold,  and the next AM I called my TA who straightened it out inside 30 minutes.

I was less concerned with the direct covid issues and more concerned about an 11 hour flight home from Rome wearing a mask, and wondering what ports would be open and the quality of the cruise from an enjoyment perspective. Not to mention my post cruise stay in Italy where I had no idea whats happening to due to political (mandates and how society will function) and economic (eg, insufficient energy just to keep warm this winter and the  overall effects for spring trips) situations there.

If we still have problems in 2023, we will have bigger problems

There is a lot of confusion at Celebrity and I bet all over the place, however, in the end without too much effort, Celebrity was very accomodating.

Edited by HMR74
  • Thanks 1

1/21 9-Day ABCs on the Equinox

Final payment already past.

We have decided to stick with it for right now. Our two primary concerns are port closures and flight cancelations. We booked this cruise specifically to visit the ABCs, which we have not been to before. We were originally booked to visit them on a sailing LAST January. Because this is a 9-day and goes to the ABCs, it was significantly more expensive than a normal 7-day Caribbean sailing. I will be very disappointed if we end up just stopping in Nassau for the hundredth time, having paid a premium to visit the ABCs. The flight cancelations have me worried as well. We are, luckily, flying in the night before and we are booked through Flights by Celebrity, so hopefully they will get us there. But I have heard tales of canceled flights where people haven't been able to get to their destinations for 3-4 days right now. So, even flying in the night before won't save us.

We canceled out 1/24 Constellation cruise and rebooked the same cruise for 12/12. Reasons: too much Covid, 70+ with medical conditions, ports ???, trying to get tested when test kits are in short supply, masks.

We will be sailing in Aqua class. Now, if I can only get Celebrity to first trying to charge me with gratuities...got that done. Now, they trying to charge me with an 'unknown surcharge' for $330. That one, Celebrity stated it was a computer error....waiting that one to get fixed. It may take a week.d

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

1/21 9-Day ABCs on the Equinox

Final payment already past.

We have decided to stick with it for right now. Our two primary concerns are port closures and flight cancelations. We booked this cruise specifically to visit the ABCs, which we have not been to before. We were originally booked to visit them on a sailing LAST January. Because this is a 9-day and goes to the ABCs, it was significantly more expensive than a normal 7-day Caribbean sailing. I will be very disappointed if we end up just stopping in Nassau for the hundredth time, having paid a premium to visit the ABCs. The flight cancelations have me worried as well. We are, luckily, flying in the night before and we are booked through Flights by Celebrity, so hopefully they will get us there. But I have heard tales of canceled flights where people haven't been able to get to their destinations for 3-4 days right now. So, even flying in the night before won't save us.

I suspect that while there will still be flight cancellations, the 3-4 days that was experienced was directly related to holiday travel, which will not be an issue then.  Not saying you won't be cancelled, but I doubt it would be that long to find another flight.  At least I hope so - I'm flying down this Friday!  (although we are going in 6 days ahead so I'm sure I'll get there)

We were confident enough to make a brand new booking (yesterday) for Alaska May 15 on Eclipse out of Vancouver. 

We've already had a moderate case of COVID - Vaccinated - Plan to boost.   It's a risk we are willing to take.   Even with Omicron - Most of the people in the "Free State of Florida" are just living our lives.

We did pay for Refundable Deposit however.   🙂 

Date of sailing: 3/4/21 Equinox 

Cancel or Cruise: At this point cruising

Thoughts: Omicron is supposed to burn out quickly and bring herd immunity, but only time will tell. 

We did just cancel  1/19 cruise with Princess. Not only risk of Covid, but flights are a mess, ports are closing and services are needing to be cut due to crew exposure. We had a great ride on the Summit this summer and fall.  Not willing to chance it right now. 

Date of Sailing:  01/08/2022 

Cancel or Cruise:  Cruising

I do not agree with the mask wearing (my opinion based on working in tourism and seeing hundreds of people with masks and how much they touch them, and how many I have to pick up - just doesn't seem sanitary).  However, we will abide by the rules and still go.  I would have liked a vacation with no mask, but we know ahead of time and are prepared.  As far as quarantine, as long as they prorate the cruise fare, I'm good with it.  We are driving to the port so no flying involved or we may have reconsidered.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, Guindalf said:

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity. This is intended as a no judgement zone, so keep your opinions to yourself.

All I'd like to know is whether you have decided to cancel or keep your booking and cruise. So if you've made that decision, please go ahead and tell us...

Date of sailing:

Cancel or Cruise:

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:

I would ask you to respect each other. neither choice is right or wrong, just personal.

Feb 14,2022 from Tampa. Thinking of canceling but the options from Celebrity isn't good. There should be a 100% refund back on your CC. A FCC doesn't work and if you do not rebook X keeps all the money. Doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, Fouremco said:

There seems to be some debate as to whether or not FCC's can be applied to Beyond sailings. You might want to pursue this with Celebrity.

We have applied fcc’s to our October sailings on the beyond.  

• Like 1

Just now, duke052 said:

Ties up a 5K for what up to 12 months

You should see what I've had tied up with the airlines for almost 2 years now.  I'm fine with the cruise because I know I'll use it, the airlines - shoot, I've had 4 flights cancelled so far that I've tried to use some of the ETC on and they still won't refund...just gets put into a new ETC.

9 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

You should see what I've had tied up with the airlines for almost 2 years now.  I'm fine with the cruise because I know I'll use it, the airlines - shoot, I've had 4 flights cancelled so far that I've tried to use some of the ETC on and they still won't refund...just gets put into a new ETC.

I just booked refundable air tickets for a Thanksgiving 2022 family cruise.  I had been using miles which are rebookable, however, the mileage required for Thanksgiving peak season were out of this world, and The RCL fliights  are no payment up front and no fee only till final payment date, after which  there is a charge/fee of, I think,  of 225 per ticket.

Separately, our adult  kids would  go ballistic if we told them we are going on a b2b cruise from April into May 2022, and another reason to transfer to the 2023 cruise. They doubt we will go on the Nov 2022 family cruise.

And part of the reason to delay is there appears to be no rhyme or reason for anything that is happening. It's like playing whack-a-mole.