Bow cabin for full Canal crossing?

TrinaLC

Is it worth paying up a bit for a bow cabin with large balcony (easily 180 degree views)? ,(jewel 9th floor center bow). 

Or will we end up leaving the cabin anyway for better experience on upper open decks?

TIA!

• Like 1

You would want to be moving around the ship. Many things to see from different angles. Such a cabin would be interesting as you approach the first locks, and for one or two locks, but not for the entire transit. You would want to also be on the Promenade deck for lifting or dropping in at least one lock, to see just how tight it is, for example.

• Like 1

Overall I would think you would have one of the better spots to view the transit without having to contend with the more crowed areas.  Ordinarily I recommend against homesteading the balcony during the transit since you only see one side of the total picture.  However from what you are describing I think you would have the best of everything.  You would see both sides of the operation as well as being able to see oncoming ship traffic as you are crossing Gatun Lake.  I would recommend during your passage through one of the locks to go down to a lower deck to take in the close proximity of the ship to the walls of the lock.

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

Is it worth paying up a bit for a bow cabin with large balcony (easily 180 degree views)? ,(jewel 9th floor center bow). 

Or will we end up leaving the cabin anyway for better experience on upper open decks?

TIA!

Having done exactly that on the NCL Jewel for our first full transit of the Canal (on Deck 10), I can say from personal experience that it was a fabulous way to experience the Canal for the first time.  I've posted a photo from the Gatun locks (we entered the Canal from the Atlantic, so this was our first set of locks).  As you can see, a zillion people had filled the bow since dawn, waiting (in the heat and humidity) for the transit to begin.  You won't have to do that.  Later in the day, the bow will get less crowded, and that will be a good time to do down there.

As others have said, and as your question recognizes, you won't want to remain on your own balcony for the entire transit (see, e.g., photo below from the Promenade Deck), but it's a great place to be for a lot of it, especially crossing Gatun Lake.

The only suggestion I would make, assuming availability, is to consider booking one of the two center cabins (penthouse suites) on Deck 10, directly under the bridge.  The balcony is a bit smaller than those on Deck 9 but still quite large, and the interior is larger than the interiors of the Deck 9 suites (and the others on Deck 10) because it's under the bump-out of the bridge.   So there's a bay window and really nice sitting area that's not in the other Deck 9 and 10 forward-facing suites.    Don't forget, the Canal is only one day.  You still have the rest of the cruise to enjoy the forward-facing views!

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbxHnrt15Fegzb-3MslkJj9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1528942665

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQY0BfqMsm3-U2NQEbXuFAS3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1571703717

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYI9bgMSU0InRZgK5_655qG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538506655

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 1

Turtles06 I found your fabulously long review and great pics after I posted this. We ordered the McCullough book based on your recommendation!  Unfortunately the 10th floor bow balcony is now in a different price category and significantly more expensive.  We have stayed in one of those on the Dawn and I agree it is superior due to size plus overhang on the balcony (shade, privacy) … 

Thanks all for the responses!  We will make sure to move about some but very excited for the bow cabin!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

WOW this is so exciting.  Just booked RCCL Enchantment- Ft Lauderdale>Panama Canal>LA.  Booked Deck 7 balcony but was told I would want to be up on top decks for most of the canal Day.

April 2023-  have a year to anticipate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djay said:

WOW this is so exciting.  Just booked RCCL Enchantment- Ft Lauderdale>Panama Canal>LA.  Booked Deck 7 balcony but was told I would want to be up on top decks for most of the canal Day.

April 2023-  have a year to anticipate.

Not just up high. All over. Bow for a lock or two. Promenade Deck for a lock or two. Up high is fine, but there is so much more. 

I second Bruce's suggestions, a good deck to view the locks up close on the Enchantment would be Deck 5.  That is the outside "promenade" deck under the lifeboats.  While I don't recommend homesteading on your balcony for the majority of the transit, in the direction you are traveling I would prefer a port side cabin balcony.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillB48 said:

While I don't recommend homesteading on your balcony for the majority of the transit, in the direction you are traveling I would prefer a port side cabin balcony.

I agree.  Just to elaborate on a few reasons why (and again with everyone's caveat that you not remain on your balcony the whole time) -- in the morning, when you go through the Gatun Locks, you may see traffic going through the locks in the opposite direction. Also, during the long crossing of Gatun Lake, it's probably a good time to take a break for lunch.  Ships traveling across the Lake from the Pacific to the Atlantic will be passing your ship on the port side, giving you a chance to see any manner of huge container ships, LNG carriers, etc. 

And there are some interesting things near or on the shore on the port side as you make your way southbound through the Canal, including the Titan, one of the world's tallest floating cranes, and El Renancer, the prison where Manuel Noriega was incarcerated.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree.  Just to elaborate on a few reasons why (and again with everyone's caveat that you not remain on your balcony the whole time) -- in the morning, when you go through the Gatun Locks, you may see traffic going through the locks in the opposite direction. Also, during the long crossing of Gatun Lake, it's probably a good time to take a break for lunch.  Ships traveling across the Lake from the Pacific to the Atlantic will be passing your ship on the port side, giving you a chance to see any manner of huge container ships, LNG carriers, etc. 

And there are some interesting things near or on the shore on the port side as you make your way southbound through the Canal, including the Titan, one of the world's tallest floating cranes, and El Renancer, the prison where Manuel Noriega was incarcerated.

A little correction here.  Enchantment will not use the old locks, so no Gatun Locks.  I will suggest that after you pass under the Centennial Bridge, move up high and port side.  From there you might be able to see ships in the Pedro Miguel locks.  EM

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I certainly hope the Titan won't be departing Canal waters anytime soon, but her future at the Canal has not been announced.  Just yesterday the Canal's newest heavy lift crane arrived just arrived in the Pacific anchorage on the heavy load vessel MV Yacht Servant.  The Yacht Servant was submerged and the new heavy lift crane Panquiaco off loaded and towed to her new home in Gamboa.

The crane boat Titan has certainly had a unique history.  She was completed in Germany in 1941 as the Schwimmkran No. 1 and saw service with the Kriegsmarine during WW2.  In 1946 she was taken to the Long Beach Naval Shipyard and officially was named YD 171, however she was probably better known as Herman the German.  In 1996 the Panama Canal Commission acquired "Herman" where she was renamed Titan.

The arrival of the Panquiaco represents a change in the naming convention of naming heavy lift vessels after mythological figures and in one instance a Biblical figure.  Some of the names, Hercules, Ajax (also built in Germany in 1914), Atlas, Goliath and Oceanus.  The Hercules was in Canal service from 1914 to 1996 when it was replaced by the Titan.

The second picture is the new crane Panquiaco before it was floated off the Yacht Servant.

image.thumb.png.bf56153aed23a60a6d79b3126d874e65.png

May be an image of outdoors

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

A little correction here.  Enchantment will not use the old locks, so no Gatun Locks.  I will suggest that after you pass under the Centennial Bridge, move up high and port side.  From there you might be able to see ships in the Pedro Miguel locks.  EM

Thanks EM for that correction.  I'm not familiar with Enchantment. 

26 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

I certainly hope the Titan won't be departing Canal waters anytime soon, but her future at the Canal has not been announced.  Just yesterday the Canal's newest heavy lift crane arrived just arrived in the Pacific anchorage on the heavy load vessel MV Yacht Servant.  The Yacht Servant was submerged and the new heavy lift crane Panquiaco off loaded and towed to her new home in Gamboa.

Bill, thanks so much for the update on the cranes!  I look forward to seeing Panquiaco in January!