Getaway cancelled 1/5 sailing

There was a time when taking a cruise meant 100% ESCAPE from life's invasive concerns, the dramatic headlines, the political influences, the anger, the fear.  Wi-fi has destroyed that serenity.  As I desperately search for how to upgrade my wi-fi on my cruise next week, it occurs to me how toxic it is to maintain contact with the gossipy, corrupt, manipulated, hateful world.

Sometimes, sailing on the ocean can be peaceful.  The wi-fi I'm addicted to will block that peacefulness.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Av8torcrj said:

How bout once the worldwide pandemic has at least subsided

I hear you, but it HAS subsided before, only to get worse again. I was on the Gem in October with no masks, and it looked like things were getting better...then they went kablooey again!

42 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The CDC doesn't need to do anything, actually.  The cruise lines are handling it.

Getaway sailing 1/5: Cancelled

Pearl:  Turned around and headed back to FL

Star: Sailing away from SA rather than toward it.

QMII:  Cancelled return to NYC, heading to Southampton

More coming soon.

Someone elsewhere was postulating that this is possibly due to crew requirements, like needing to have a certain number of deck officers to safely operate. QM2 did hang out outside of port for a few days to take on more crew.

59 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

NCL have said they’re not dropping fares into the old super cheap range they did in the past to fill the ships. 

Yet that's exactly what they have been doing. The last minute specials on NCL have been the best I have seen in over a decade. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psac said:

Obviously this wasn’t the post, but you had said the 100% refund and 100% FCC was too much. Normally I would think you might be right, but don’t forget the Pearl was on a Panama Canal cruise that already left, and was going back to the staring point. That was also not the scheduled ending point. So there will likely be travel costs involved for a lot of passengers. The extra FCC May offset some of that. And hopefully the passengers have good insurance. 

I wonder if NCL will help passengers with flights out (if needed).  Seems like cruiselines have alot on their plates right now.

We were supposed to be on the Escape right now, 12 day b2b, canceled Friday (as soon as the POM policy was reinstated)...I'm thinking we made the right decision....(for us)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I hear you, but it HAS subsided before, only to get worse again. I was on the Gem in October with no masks, and it looked like things were getting better...then they went kablooey again!

That’s why I have been in 3 cruises in October and November, one being the Gem and it was a delight. Aft facing penthouse and an incredible crew. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, styxfire said:

There was a time when taking a cruise meant 100% ESCAPE from life's invasive concerns, the dramatic headlines, the political influences, the anger, the fear.  Wi-fi has destroyed that serenity.  As I desperately search for how to upgrade my wi-fi on my cruise next week, it occurs to me how toxic it is to maintain contact with the gossipy, corrupt, manipulated, hateful world.

Sometimes, sailing on the ocean can be peaceful.  The wi-fi I'm addicted to will block that peacefulness.

Nobody even looks at each other any more. We were on a flight to Mia and the couple in front of us stared at their iPads the entire trip. Ultimately we see them again on the ship. Every meal, staring at their phones as if sailing completely alone. Waking the promenade, staring at their phones.  I wondered if when one of of them walked out of the shower and saw the other they jumped and asked “ who the hell are you and why are you in my stateroom?” It IS toxic and your other observations are spot on....as evidenced by those just waiting to pounce in snark. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

I wonder if NCL will help passengers with flights out (if needed). 

They are. We flew to Miami yesterday and was set to get on the Getaway tomorrow. We got our info for the flight home an hour or so ago.

ETA: We booked using their air.

Edited by vacationut
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chuckhendo2 said:

Thanks! We are doing relatively well, she's already feeling better than she did a few days ago. I've developed a small cough so I probably have it as well now. They gave us the option to isolate separately (i.e. I could have stayed in our original room as long as I was testing negative), but that would have been boring as hell so I decided to go with her. Happy they moved us to an aft balcony rather than the interior I was afraid of

You are a good husband.  I think my husband would do the same.

A good number (if not most or all) of the crew just took a swab test on Sunday morning.  I wonder if those results may have determined if a key segment of the crew are over minimal requirements, just as you posted.

1 hour ago, rabidstoat said:

Someone elsewhere was postulating that this is possibly due to crew requirements, like needing to have a certain number of deck officers to safely operate. QM2 did hang out outside of port for a few days to take on more crew.

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is terrible!! There is a youtube of a guy on RCL who was moved to quarantine. They had a 6 pack of water waiting as standard procedure and have brought him poweraid for electrolytes. He can order off the main menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner also. Maybe show NCL that video in your case. 

RCL handling of Covid passengers got terrible with the recent surge.  There are lots of posts about it.  Totally unorganized and not following through with the protocols Royal has documented.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Having disembarked MSC Seashore on the 30th, and tested positive Sunday (DW and I), I believe as lousy as it is to have a voyage cancelled on you (and within a day), this is the right decision.  While on MSC (very shady) they tried to downplay the spread that was going on.  I have it from a crew member whom we['ve known since 2019 that there were hundreds of crew that were sick, positive, or with people that were positive downstairs.  They were disappearing by there dozens.  Shows were suspended, Private Island was missed due to the cases on board, Spa appointments cancelled...but the only word from the Bridge, was all is well and the band kept playing on the deck of the Titanic as if all was well.  

So, as I've said you can always cruise later.  I'm in quarantine at home and experiencing luckily mild cold symptoms.  I can't go to work, etc.

This was most likely my swan song with MSC (maybe one last 4 night to burn off the last of the FCC).  NCL does a much better job guys with Health and Safety, they really do,  and I'll be returning to the brand in 2022, after a two year break for other brands.  

All my best to those impacted.  Here's to this getting behind us in 2022.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, D4 said:

RCL handling of Covid passengers got terrible with the recent surge.  There are lots of posts about it.  Totally unorganized and not following through with the protocols Royal has documented.

Stick to spreading your garbage on RC threads...we've all either heard it there, haven't heard it there due to lack on interest, or can choose to go there if interested.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, susit3 said:

I am currently on the getaway. It’s rather obvious COVID is sparking out of control. 

I am also on the Getaway and I don’t understand this comment.  Nothing has been obvious. 

We saw a bunch of rooms on deck 5 with a red square by the door.  Saw another last night on deck 11.  A few of those rooms had hazmat bag/items wedged into the door handle. Also- we saw people with full PPE pushing carts of food to those rooms.  

To the poster here who is quarantined - chuck?- not sure of the name-   I am so sorry this happened !!!  We observed them delivering food and it makes sense it’s arriving cold. I’m so sorry.  May I ask what floor you ended up on? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, styxfire said:

Best decision I made was to not upgrade my WIFI and just ride with the 250 minutes.

It made me have restraint the whole week knowing I needed to save them for New Years Eve when we needed to video chat with family.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, kdawg954 said:

Best decision I made was to not upgrade my WIFI and just ride with the 250 minutes.

It made me have restraint the whole week knowing I needed to save them for New Years Eve when we needed to video chat with family.

While I agree with most of this, I think it is MOST PRUDENT to be buying unlimited wifi in todays world. I probably won't ever sail without it. In the case of an emergency, it is most useful and imagine being in isolation with no wifi! 

15 hours ago, styxfire said:

Sometimes you receive what you give.

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

While I agree with most of this, I think it is MOST PRUDENT to be buying unlimited wifi in todays world. I probably won't ever sail without it. In the case of an emergency, it is most useful and imagine being in isolation with no wifi! 

Except remember the posts way back in March of 2020 where the cruise lines turned off the wifi signal so people could no longer report live? 

• Like 1

if youre already at/near port maybe look and another cruise is leaving this weekend 🙂  probably would be great pricing and decent selection of cabins. since you are already off for the 1st cruise hopefully could find another pretty quickly

20 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We are in Miami and got in early  this morning.  We just got the email and are trying  to decide  what to do.

Ditto…we decide to hang at south beach couple days then fly back home to chilly Indy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Ok, calm down, let’s all calm down. @aubreyc1988 I don’t think anyone here would be against cruising right now… the problem is all the complications around it… I personally don’t mind taking the risk… problem is, not everyone has that luxury. There are probably lots of staff and services on the ships unavailable because people still get sick from this…enough that you’re still in bed for a couple days even if you’re healthy… I was on the excape a couple years ago and I am pretty sure I had the flu or a bad cold…I partied on anyway…because I was able to swallow loads on pills and feel better…I also didn’t have to worry about flight bans due to illness and being quarantined. That is what is different this time…

once the hysteria over quarantines and mandating people and staff stay in their rooms when sick ends, and flights are open to boarding with no testing and health screening nonsense then I think it will be back to normal. I don’t think it’s the actual COVID that’s hurting things right now, I think it’s all the rules and regulations that come with it 

YES!! Rules and regs being forced on cruise industry is so unfair. Domestic flights don’t have this scrutiny. Fly from LA to NY in an aluminum can seated next to non vaxed for 5 hours. US govt really hammering foreign flagged cruise ships. 

• Like 2

We are locked in our room , zero care. My spouse has covid and I'm - 've waiting all day to get off of the tin can so I at least can catch a flight ? Spouse has insurance and will work from NCL's slum dog hotel . "Way to go NCL!"