Seadream II Bahamas Jan 16 and General Neutral "C" Discussion...

loving life

A lot has happened over the last couple weeks with the new variant.  My husband gave me C for Xmas and we have recovered.  We are both double vaxxed as per Seadream requirements and for ourselves, that didn't do much to prevent it, we recovered easily.  Obstacle #1 is getting a negative PCR test within 24 hours of flying from Canada to the US.  Once recovered there is an extremely high likelihood of testing positive, with this type of test, for months, which we are prepared for, so with the proper documentation - i.e. a Dr's note explaining previous positive illness date and recovery - we should be good to fly.  This remains to be seen...  Obstacle #2 is if we make it to Florida, the following day we will be at the Pier with luggage hoping that we test negative with the Rapid Test (again, hope is all we have), I'd love to be able to try one now, but there is not a Rapid Test left in Canada...  After some comments made on Seadream's Instagram yesterday that SDI had positive cases on board last week, including both passengers and staff, I am left to wonder if and how SDII will be able to continue for the next 10+ days unscathed.  With this incredibly high rate of spread it seems impossible.  Surely they need to have a certain number of staff to operate the ship from both a hospitality and safety perspective.  What number of ill staff tips the ability for us to go?  Will they cancel and postpone our trip or allow us to board and treat us as if we are staying in WPB for 2 weeks?  There are so many unknowns and zero information from SD.  My husband and I are game for any adventure, and we can appreciate the challenges they are dealing with, but the whole thing seems a bit surreal.  How are the rest of you handling it?  Any good recommendations for a place to stay for 2 weeks in Florida?  I have a feeling we will all be standing there wondering what's next.  I wish us all the best and hope it works out, fingers crossed.

Hi LL.  We are much like y'all.  We had/cancelled three voyages in the last year due to the crap shoot you describe so well.  I know the cruise lines had lots of folks spending "funny money" vouchers who were willing to put up with all sorts of restrictions to just go but the system is currently stacked against the cruise industry.  Hotels, airlines, resorts, are no "safer" than cruise ships, probably less so but cruise ships have the only reporting requirements and are the only ones to suffer the punishment of the "guidelines".  I understand SD is better than most once onboard with less restrictive onboard policies and love the overall SD experience but until people stop acting so scared (and by people I mean those in charge) and get on with life.  Covid will be there.  The already minuscule death threat is reduced to near zero if fully vaxxed and in reasonable health.  We will cruise again when the useless testing (only tells how you were at some time in the past) and masking stops.  Onboard treat anyone sick and isolate as necessary.  Medevac serious cases (of all types)  as has always been the plan for all illness/injury situations and the rest get on with life.  How many more years are we willing to sacrifice at the gods of politics?  We recently completed a cross country road trip.  5,000 miles or so.  Dozens of gas stations, bars, restaurants, hotels and visits with friends in Florida and family in Alabama.  Not a mask anywhere nor requried to mask up.  It was great.  And lo and behold we are still here.  It is everyones personal choice how to spend their time/money but I wonder how much longer people will spend thousands to take the risks you discuss.  And those risks seem to be stacked against the cruisers.  

All the best wishes for 2022.

We are in a similar quandary.  We are booked on a Jan 30 out of Palm Springs to San Juan and have until Jab 18 to cancel and receive a credit for a future cruise (we booked it while they had the credit program in place).  We have also each recovered from Covid, and neither one of us had serious or long lasting effects -- thanks to two vaccines and boosters.  

I wasn't aware of the positive cases on SD1, but I am not surprised.  It would probably be easy to pick up the virus on any of the stops that the ship makes.  The Omicron variant seems much more contagious and doesn't seem to care if you are vaccinated or not, before infecting  you -- although being vaccinated improves the outcome significantly.   

The testing concerns that you have are real, and we share them.  I am reading that you can show positive on a test for months after an infection.  We might be able to get a doctor's note, but neither one of us saw a doctor, so I presume that he would need a negative test to write such a note. 

And when I checked a few weeks ago, the Bahamas also had a testing requirement, that we can probably accomplish prior to leaving the US.  But I am concerned about us showing a positive test just before leaving for the trip, or at dockside before boarding, forcing us to cancel the trip at the last minute, after we have passed the credit date.  And with beach stops daily, potentially more guests are exposed at every stop.  Another, perhaps worse, concern is being quarantined on the ship because of an outbreak.  It is not the SD experience that we are paying many thousands of dollars for. 

We have a hard decision to make within the next week or so.

I am imploring current (or recent) SD cruisers to post some updates for all of us worrying about upcoming cruises. How did it go/is going?  Outbreaks of Covid?  How were they handled?  Quarantined? Could others get off the boat? Excursions?  I'm not afraid of Covid, but I am afraid of missing out on that good ole' SD experience that we've all come to expect and love. 

• Like 3

Just saw this on the SeaDream website regarding Covid testing:

Effective January 7, 2022, all SeaDream guests will be required to provide a negative Rapid COVID-19 PCR result from a test taken within 1 day of embarkation OR a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 result from a test taken within 3 days of embarkation.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:48 PM, COCOYOTE said:

Just saw this on the SeaDream website regarding Covid testing:

Effective January 7, 2022, all SeaDream guests will be required to provide a negative Rapid COVID-19 PCR result from a test taken within 1 day of embarkation OR a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 result from a test taken within 3 days of embarkation.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a Rapid Covid PCR test, how is different than a RT-PCR test, and why would SeaDream want a Rapid PCR test taken from the day before they give you another Covid test?

We are planning on getting to St Martin a few days before we board, and this might get a bit troublesome.

Edited by DRWhit

We are wondering the same thing as DRWhit. 

We were so happy when we learned that St. Martin was not requiring ANY testing to enter the country, (if vaxxed and boosted.)  Now, SD is requiring it? Even though testing you again before boarding? Having been to SXM in June (when testing to enter was required) we know it can be quite a hassle, what with getting proper test and timely results and submitting them and the EHAS form and awaiting the ok from SXM, etc. Quite stressful. We were all set for a smooth SD sailing this time, but now....   

I think we are going to get a test done Saturday (01/22), in St. Martin, at the hotel, and hope to board on Sunday. Easey peasy just became a boondoggle.  Not exactly unanticipated but I expected better from SD.

Oh, and our itinerary seems to have changed to boot! (TOY bar, here we come!!).  

• Like 1

Looks like Covid is heating up on SDI per FB .  10 positives remaining onbord in BGI?  Barbados not letting them off. Those passengers scheduled to embark today (Sunday) being told to "deal with it"?  Yikes!  Any current info would be appreciated.     

• Like 1

I am following the same FB Seadream 1 thread today. Very concerning for the passengers and I am staring to get really uneasy about my SD 2 cruise next week. Most cruise lines are at least letting customers transfer to a future booking especially considering the current environment. 

Just got off SDII yesterday in Palm Beach after a B2B that started in St. Thomas and then had change-over in San Juan.  Had to enter a negative test within 5 days of arrival at St. Thomas on their portal to get on the plane, and then show our QC code on arrival at the airport.  Two days later we were on the pier getting tested by the ship's doctor.  One couple tested positive and were denied boarding.  We were all tested mid-cruise and I believe there was one positive who was quarantined for the rest of the cruise.  Spouse was tested regularly and she ultimately tested positive, as well.  They were also supposed to do the B2B, but had to get off in San Juan and quarantine there for a few days.

There were a few crew members who had tested positive before we got on, likely from a charter that preceded our sailing.  Spa was closed the entire first sailing, and for a couple of days into the second sailing due to staffing.  It was also evident that there were fewer guys in the dining areas, but that did not diminish the level of service that SeaDream is known for.  Of course, we had only 78 passengers the first week, and 86 the second.  Crew members were masked all the time, and it was requested that passengers either use plastic gloves when using the buffet, or have a crew member serve them.

As for the ports, there were a lot of changes on the fly.  Rules kept changing regarding whether a port would accept us.  Some were closed altogether, and I understand from Cruise Critic that other ports were refusing any ship that had a Covid case on board.

All in all, we had some anxiety that we could test positive at any time, and we are grateful we didn't.  The crew, in my opinion, did a marvelous job.  The success really depends upon the passengers.  If you are going, please please please obey the ship's protocols regarding masking and handling food.  Be safe before you sail; don't party with strangers the night before.  That is what killed the SD season last winter when Covid struck the very first sailing out of Barbados after the crossing.  All it takes is one inconsiderate person to ruin the cruise for everybody.

We are glad we went on the trip and had a wonderful time.  Was it like every other cruise we've had?  Of course not.  But if you are going to do it, you have to have realistic expectations.  There is a lot that is out of the company's control and you have to enjoy what you have.  We had two great Splashes.  We missed Saba, but that gave us an extra day in St. Barts.  A fair trade.  An extra sea day here and there, but we enjoyed the new loungers on SDII, as well as the jacuzzi in the Crow's Nest.

I won't tell you to cancel or stay the course.  Everyone has his own comfort level and you have to make that decision for yourself.  I hope I have provided some current information that will help you do that.

• Like 3

ThanksTrapperZimmy! Very helpful! It is my understanding that there were a few people that tested positive on the last leg of your trip. Were they able to stay on the ship and quarantine vs. being quarantined in the Bahamas. Seems like quarantining on the ship is a much better option for those who test positive. 

I am aware that there were a couple of positive tests on the second leg, as well.  It is my understanding that they quarantined, just as the couple on the first leg did.  I have no basis for thinking they were put off the ship before Palm Beach, where everyone disembarked because the yacht is now on a charter.  I only hope this week's charter doesn't ruin it for next week's cruise.

1 hour ago, TrapperZimmy said:

I am aware that there were a couple of positive tests on the second leg, as well.  It is my understanding that they quarantined, just as the couple on the first leg did.  I have no basis for thinking they were put off the ship before Palm Beach, where everyone disembarked because the yacht is now on a charter.  I only hope this week's charter doesn't ruin it for next week's cruise.

Trapper, why do you think the charter could ruin next weeks cruise?  I ask because I am on it.   Wouldn't they disembark in WPB regardless of their Covid Status, and have to quarantine on land instead?  Omicron is a total crap shoot, and if you haven't had it yet, you technically can have no idea if and when you're going to get it.  I think we would have cancelled had we not got it 3 weeks ago... Now we have awesome antibodies, so we can't get it and won't spread it!  Best case scenario for us and our fellow passengers.   

Edited by loving life

Loving Life, I am on the next cruise too and was wondering the same thing about how the charter could ruin our cruise.

Trapper Zimmy, any further insights and any idea how many people were going to be on the charter and where they were going?

9 hours ago, loving life said:

Trapper, why do you think the charter could ruin next weeks cruise?  I ask because I am on it.   Wouldn't they disembark in WPB regardless of their Covid Status, and have to quarantine on land instead?  Omicron is a total crap shoot, and if you haven't had it yet, you technically can have no idea if and when you're going to get it.  I think we would have cancelled had we not got it 3 weeks ago... Now we have awesome antibodies, so we can't get it and won't spread it!  Best case scenario for us and our fellow passengers.   

We think that because the charter just prior to our cruise infected a lot of people. I heard that there were about 16 who tested positive during the cruise, and they infected a lot of the staff. That is why the spa was closed - the spa ladies had covid. 

While we were in St. Thomas prior to the cruise Trapper checked to see where the ship was, and discovered that it had already returned to St Thomas on Thursday or Friday when it was not supposed to return there until Sunday or Monday. That is when we began to suspect trouble. The cruise returned to St Thomas early, I assume because of the Covid situation.

TrapperZimmy/Zimmy, I wonder if you could answer a follow up question about what happens when someone tests positive while on board.  Do all guests need to isolate at that point pending additional testing or does only the person that tested positive need to isolate?  I saw something in a FB group that suggested the former.  Thanks for sharing your experience with this group.

On the two segments we were on, there were positive tests mid-cruise on each.  We didn't know anyone who tested positive on the second, but we did on the first.  Once he had a positive test, he was sent to a vacant stateroom while his wife was quarantined in their original room.  After she tested positive, too, he was able to join her.  I suspect the second segment had the same practice.  There were a few empty rooms on each since the passenger counts were 78 and 86, respectively.  Nobody else was quarantined on either segment.  On the other hand, there were ports that were bypassed, and I truthfully cannot tell you whether that was because we couldn't satisfy the port's testing requirements in sufficient time, or because there were cases on board.  We missed Saba on the first segment, and Turks and Caicos and a final stop in the Bahamas on the second.

From what I understand, the crew was very attentive to the quarantined passengers and I believe they ordered meals from the daily menu, rather than just the room service menu.  The doctor checked on them regularly.  I also think they were allowed on deck briefly in a special area to get aired out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrapperZimmy said:

On the other hand, there were ports that were bypassed, and I truthfully cannot tell you whether that was because we couldn't satisfy the port's testing requirements in sufficient time, or because there were cases on board.  We missed Saba on the first segment, and Turks and Caicos and a final stop in the Bahamas on the second.

From what I understand, the crew was very attentive to the quarantined passengers and I believe they ordered meals from the daily menu, rather than just the room service menu.  The doctor checked on them regularly.  I also think they were allowed on deck briefly in a special area to get aired out.

Hi, TrapperZimmy.  We were on the first voyage as well and very much enjoyed meeting and sailing with you both!  My recollection is that the Saba stop was scheduled and cancelled prior to the passenger testing positive on the first segment.  So, not related.  Also, I learned that the Turks & Caicos stops were to be cancelled before passengers boarded for the second segment so again I don't believe there was a connection between those port cancellations and subsequently positive testing passengers.

From what I understand you are correct as to the treatment accorded the isolated passengers except that they were not allowed on deck until the first segment had ended and all disembarking passengers had left the ship.

Edited by ctbjr1309
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Zimmy said:

We think that because the charter just prior to our cruise infected a lot of people. I heard that there were about 16 who tested positive during the cruise, and they infected a lot of the staff. That is why the spa was closed - the spa ladies had covid. 

While we were in St. Thomas prior to the cruise Trapper checked to see where the ship was, and discovered that it had already returned to St Thomas on Thursday or Friday when it was not supposed to return there until Sunday or Monday. That is when we began to suspect trouble. The cruise returned to St Thomas early, I assume because of the Covid situation.

Ah, yikes, makes sense!  The sooner it goes through the team the better, not that getting covid is good, but the omicron strain is clearly as highly transmissible as any cold virus, and nowhere near as virulent.  I feel it would be too great a risk to travel without having had it yet as it's a 50/50 chance in my mind.  Now, having had it 3 weeks ago it will be almost impossible to get it again next week and we aren't contagious, so it's the best case scenario for us and the boat... for now.  We are totally ready to go with the flow and know that extreme flexibility is the best approach.  Bahamas is way more appealing than Toronto in January, so bring it on!!  We booked this one 2 years ago and had to cancel our first Med, and last January so it felt simply too tragic to cancel #3.   

• Like 2

I think you have the right attitude, Loving Life.  Substitute Chicago (-2F) for Toronto and that is pretty much how we were thinking.  You likely have nothing to worry about as far as being sick is concerned, but there is still the anxiety until you are told you are negative, but the results come back within 15 minutes.  We still got some nice beaches, and the Splash was as good as any we've experienced.  On the first segment the surf was too rough to serve caviar in the water, but on the second segment we had to get our feet wet to enjoy it.  And we did.  And as I have said, a beach is a beach, but having a sea day can be pretty nice, too.

Unfortunately, we decided to cancel our cruise from WPB to San Juan that was to leave on January 30.  It was a hard decision, but we were able to do so and receive a future cruise credit if we made a decision prior to 1/14 because we booked this under SeaDream's "Cruise with Confidence" program.

Although we were looking forward to this cruise, our comfort level in proceeding with it wasn't high, so we took what was the best option for us.

Yes, it is a hard decision, but you have to go with what makes you comfortable.  You should have no regrets.  SeaDream will continue to be there, and there will be another cruise.  On the bright side, at least you don't have to deal with February in Chicago (or Toronto) as the result of your decision.