Cook Islands or Tuamotus

Syracusefan44

My wife and I are planning on taking a Paul Gauguin cruise for our 30th anniversary in July 2023.

We have never been to French Polynesia and are trying to decide between then 11 day Cook Islands & Society Islands cruise or the 10 day Tuamotus & Society Island cruise.  We love snorkeling/hiking and would greatly appreciate any information as to the differences between the Cook Island and Tuamotus.

In addition we have cruised exclusively with Princess Cruises over the past 15 years so this will be our cruise on Paul Gauguin. I no longer wear a suit & tie on Princess and was wondering if I would be okay wearing a Hawaiian shirts on a daily basis for dinner/evening activities onboard the ship.

Thank you.

A Hawaiian or tropical shirt is perfect for dinner.  most will be wearing that. Jackets and ties are rarely seen, even for the brief meet and greet with the captain.

We have done both of your potential trips several times.  The Cook Islands has 2 sea days vs 1 for the Tuamotu trip.  The lagoon in Aitutaki is spectacular but the ship can’t enter the lagoon and you tender in.  Occasionally the weather does not allow for tender operations so you miss this stop but that is very rare.   I don’t love Rarotonga and would be happy to give it a miss.  The two stops in the Tuamotus are great.  Both have great snorkeling and world class diving.

You really can’t go wrong with either trip.  I would choose the one that has the dates that work best for you.  If both dates work I would lean 60/40 towards the Tuamotu trip. 

There's a risk that you won't be able to get into Aitutaki--that's common, it happened to us.  We liked Rarotonga quite a lot, had fun.  But for snorkelers, I would say Tuamotus--hiking not so much, it's quite muggy usually. There is some hiking on Moorea that you could do, from the Belvedere down through the woods, I believe there's an excursion for that.

I've taken both itineraries several times  ... both are fantastic. If your thinking July I would lean towards the Tuamotus as July is the winter for both but the Cook's are further south thus a bit colder  ... you would want to bring a light jacket for the evenings if your out side. The water temp will be a bit cooler in the Cook's as well. 

We've been to Aitutaki 6 times and only once did the weather make it impossible to visit though it does happen occasionally. In the Tuamotus the ship is inside the lagoon so so issues for visiting. 

FlightMedic snorkeling in Aitutaki

5.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna