mini-live from the Grand Princess: first Hawaiian sailing post covid--Jan 4-19, 2022

travelin.sisters

4 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Honolulu is required as the first port of call to complete all health documentation.    How long it will take to clear the ship is anyones guess.

We are from San Diego and have the weather rather cool.  Definitely needed a sweater or long sleeves.    It has been very windy with access to outside decks closed off periodically.   Today the sun is out and the outside temperature is warmer, still wjndy.   We have done this trip many times and this is the coolest and roughest we have had.   Usually 2 days out of the islands the weather warms up and the seas flatten out.  Just a little late this time.

thank you so much for sharing your perspective as well...I feel like people can make a better decision of what is right for themselves if they hear from more than one person...last time we went to Hawai'i it was roughest the last two days before the islands  as there was a storm tracking us & I think they even had to drain the pool...hope you are having a good trip despite the cold, wind & rough seas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JIMBO1950 said:

Going on the Grand Jan 19.  Curious if the Wake show is still on.  And do they do "shout out" and jokes submitted by passengers?

yes to the wake show, no to shout outs, jokes, or contests...it is rather disappointing (I know Steve the CD is new to the Grand or newly back to the Grand but he isn't very dynamic on the show)...there is a lot of pre-taped content (Medallion, spa, wrinkle treatment, etc.) & not much except kind of reading the list of activities for the day...hopefully he hits his stride & improves for you

• Like 1

more food photos...the food is not bad but maybe less variety (unless like my BIL you love fish & seafood) the rolls as always are wonderful & unlike our last cruise they don't seem to be rationing butter at dinner...my sister (who dreams about the fettuccini alfredo) said it was as good as ever & the fruench onion soup was so good I ordered it again the next night...oh the green creme brulee (they have one everynight) is pistachio not mold

2022-01-05 09.35.55.jpg

2022-01-05 09.36.25.jpg

2022-01-05 19.05.41.jpg

2022-01-05 19.05.48.jpg

2022-01-05 19.05.52.jpg

2022-01-05 19.50.58.jpg

2022-01-05 19.51.01.jpg

2022-01-05 19.51.06.jpg

2022-01-06 12.08.50.jpg

2022-01-06 18.59.03.jpg

2022-01-06 18.59.06.jpg

2022-01-06 18.59.18.jpg

2022-01-06 19.21.19.jpg

2022-01-06 19.42.46.jpg

2022-01-06 19.42.50.jpg

2022-01-06 19.42.55.jpg

2022-01-07 19.14.28.jpg

2022-01-07 19.14.32.jpg

2022-01-07 19.31.31.jpg

2022-01-07 19.31.35.jpg

2022-01-07 19.31.37.jpg

Edited by travelin.sisters
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

I have only heard of one person (on social media...no ship's announcement about test results or such) who tested positive, he is in isolation with his wife who decided to isolate with him even though she was negative...they were moved to the quarrantine section on the Aloha deck...he said they can get what they want through room service & the app...he thinks they will retest in 2 days but will not be able to get off in Honolulu even if they are negative then 

Thanks for answering.   I guess I would do the same thing.  That is what my husband is worried about the most, I  think. 

• Like 2

Hey @travelin.sisters, I appreciate every little bit of information you've been providing, it's been so helpful! I was just wondering if they have opened back up the laundromats, I know they closed them for a bit but I think I read somewhere they're open again. If you get a chance or even walk by one, can you check? Thanks again for taking time out of your cruise to update us! ☺️

• Like 2

All laundromats are open on the Grand and are complimentary.   There is a bowl of tokens for use in the wall mounted detergent, fabric softener machines.  Washers and dryers do

not require a token, just slide the token holder in and you’re underway.   
The Grand is far from being completely medallion.    We have sailed in the Ruby and the Majestic in the last couple of months with the Majestic being 100% medallion ready from what we experienced.  Ruby is a little further along than the Grand.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

yes to the wake show, no to shout outs, jokes, or contests...it is rather disappointing (I know Steve the CD is new to the Grand or newly back to the Grand but he isn't very dynamic on the show)...there is a lot of pre-taped content (Medallion, spa, wrinkle treatment, etc.) & not much except kind of reading the list of activities for the day...hopefully he hits his stride & improves for you

I’ve been on 2 cruises on the Ruby & the same thing about the Wake Show. Perhaps a good question for the CD. Perhaps a decision by Princess. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kiwimum said:

All laundromats are open on the Grand and are complimentary.   There is a bowl of tokens for use in the wall mounted detergent, fabric softener machines.  Washers and dryers do

not require a token, just slide the token holder in and you’re underway.   
The Grand is far from being completely medallion.    We have sailed in the Ruby and the Majestic in the last couple of months with the Majestic being 100% medallion ready from what we experienced.  Ruby is a little further along than the Grand.

What features of medallion are not functional on Grand?  

Can you do food and drink orders?  How about locating other members of your travel party?

• Like 1

Big day tomorrow.   Coastguard, CDC and others inspecting.   Honolulu is looking forward to the first cruise ship in 22 months.   Lots of cleaning going on in preparation.  Bad is the crew is not allowed off the ship in the islands this cruise.   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nocl said:

What features of medallion are not functional on Grand?  

Can you do food and drink orders?  How about locating other members of your travel party?

Yes they are working.  No digital access to photos, laundry facilities, menus and a few others.  Syncing of accounts takes days if you change cabins.   The positive side is the internet is more responsive than on the Majestic.  

• Like 1

Just now, kiwimum said:

Yes they are working.  No digital access to photos, laundry facilities, menus and a few others.  Syncing of accounts takes days if you change cabins.   The positive side is the internet is more responsive than on the Majestic.  

Thank you, it sounds like everything I need is working.

• Like 1

I've been having trouble replying with my iPad/iPhone.  Looking forward to your arrival.  Please enjoy your day...then report back how bad/good getting off the ship was in Honolulu.

Attended a soccer game for my grandson today.  HOT!  Unusual for January.  83 degrees with humidity the 40% where I was.  Hotter than California.  Sunday should be a high of 79 and sunny.  

• Like 3

Are you guys arriving today in Honolulu or tomorrow? I’m watching the Port of Honolulu And you guys are still a bit out there. I rest of us are nervously watching the process is for you guys to actually get on the island.

Also I’ve been looking at the same itinerary in March in case our HI cruise fall through since it’s leaving from Canada. Can someone answer me if the pools on board have any type of easy entry to the deep end. My mom can’t use ladders. I know many cruise ship pools will have steps to get to the first level but to actually get into the deep part of the real pool you have to still use a ladder. Thanks

1 hour ago, mousefan73 said:

Are you guys arriving today in Honolulu or tomorrow? I’m watching the Port of Honolulu And you guys are still a bit out there. I rest of us are nervously watching the process is for you guys to actually get on the island.

Also I’ve been looking at the same itinerary in March in case our HI cruise fall through since it’s leaving from Canada. Can someone answer me if the pools on board have any type of easy entry to the deep end. My mom can’t use ladders. I know many cruise ship pools will have steps to get to the first level but to actually get into the deep part of the real pool you have to still use a ladder. Thanks

Edited by Lido deck main
not working

2 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Can someone answer me if the pools on board have any type of easy entry to the deep end. My mom can’t use ladders. I know many cruise ship pools will have steps to get to the first level but to actually get into the deep part of the real pool you have to still use a ladder. Thanks

Most of the ships I've been on have a "sling" that can be used to enter the mid-ship pool. Never seen it used, but assume that a deck hand handles the sling.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

17 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

He has a different personality.  Gary, who just left, was the I've had 10 cups of coffee. Let's get this party started!  And we've been on 4 cruises since the restart - all wake shows are now abbreviated.  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kiwimum said:

You can view menus for the day on the app.  

• Like 2

We are on the 1/19 cruise. If you make dinner reservations on the app prior to sailing are you given any kind of confirmation of the reservation when you board? Should you go to the dining room when you board to confirm?

Has anyone asked the ship (I know the ship won't answer but maybe someone would) why they are not making announcements about Covid infections - whether there are none or some?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

We are scheduled to arrive around 11:00am.  Currently I can see small islands out our door.  As of last night we were good to go ashore.  Unfortunately crew cannot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

What kind of pie is this? Someone posted on a thread that they miss the Curtis Stone (gone for good) Chicken w/Leek pot pie. Maybe, this is a Princess substitute?

cajun seafood...my BIL said it was good but definitely not chicken & leek

• Thanks 1