Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

14 hours ago, kml246 said:

We've been on seven cruises (four sailings) leaving from the US since return to sailing. The last one was this month on Emerald Princess. We were not boosted for the first two sailings but did get our first booster in December. On all of the embarkations, they checked that we were fully vaccinated but did not check for a booster. Current Princess protocols for sailings from the US is that a booster is recommended but not required. From the UK and EU, they are requiring a booster if the last vaccination dose is more than nine months prior to sailing. This, from what I understand, is because of EU regulations. We're sailing from Southampton UK in July and looks like our booster in December will be sufficient. What is a PITA is the requirement to test ONE day before sailing. 

Kevin 

Thanks Kevin for sharing your experience. We are more at ease now. Really appreciate this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

I hope that will not be the case. I have allergies which cause coughing and sneezing fits. Some idiot Nurse Practitioner would not even touch me and wanted me to go to the ER. LOL! I was able to get in to see an associate of my regular doctor and she easily diagnosed allergies and told me what to do. It has really helped.

Right! I have bad allergies as well

18 hours ago, nini said:

What do you mean by testing one day before sailing? We sail from Southampton on May 9th and since we were "forced" to get a booster, we can test 3 days before boarding. This is from the Princess website for Southampton departures.

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

We recommend all guests take their viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. For U.K.-based guests, Princess recommends an option for an FDA-authorized, medically supervised at-home antigen test kit through our testing partner Prenetics™ (£30). Order your Lateral Flow Antigen test kit online^.

For fully vaccinated guests, we will offer antigen testing at the terminal that meets our requirements. For those that wish to take advantage of this convenience, a fee of $60 USD per person will apply as a stateroom folio charge to cover our costs.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to the pre-cruise PCR test noted in the chart above. Charges may apply.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel PCR COVID-19 testing to enter a country. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources.

It's the EU that's requiring the one-day before test. If you are sailing from UK without any stops in an EU port, perhaps they won't require the one-day test. Here's the excerpt from the EU Princess page:

image.thumb.png.7ed7b1667665702bcc4545807297fd79.png

We are sailing on Enchanted Princess out of Southampton on July 22, 2022 to Norway and Iceland. Even though the UK sailing page shows what you posted, if I go to the Cruise Personalizer, this is what it says at the bottom of the Travel Summary (I added the highlighting):

image.thumb.png.19bd6aad08ebc3f1fc56d4a1b4b410f9.png

You may want to check your Travel Summary and see what it says. Since this is going to potentially cause problems, I'm confident Princess will have testing available at the port. 

Good luck,

Kevin

Hi everyone. I am an American staying in London for 4 days before my cruise on the Emerald Princess, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to get a Covid test before boarding. There are 11 of us, which makes things a little more complicated. We’re all up to date with our shots. I saw the link Princess provided for getting the Antigen test kit with telehealth video consultation, but I’m concerned that the test won’t make it to our hotel, or that we won’t be able to schedule a telehealth consultation in time (for 11 people). Has anyone done this before? Or has anyone used the Covid testing provided by Princess at the terminal, and if so, was there a really long line? Was it a complete hassle?

Any help would be much appreciated!

4 hours ago, MelodytheBellady said:

Hi everyone. I am an American staying in London for 4 days before my cruise on the Emerald Princess, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to get a Covid test before boarding. There are 11 of us, which makes things a little more complicated. We’re all up to date with our shots. I saw the link Princess provided for getting the Antigen test kit with telehealth video consultation, but I’m concerned that the test won’t make it to our hotel, or that we won’t be able to schedule a telehealth consultation in time (for 11 people). Has anyone done this before? Or has anyone used the Covid testing provided by Princess at the terminal, and if so, was there a really long line? Was it a complete hassle?

While doing a google maps search I was looking at 8 buckingham palace road, and on the street view I saw this - a "fit to fly walk in PCR test" !  https://www.google.com/maps/place/8+Buckingham+Palace+Rd,+London+SW1W+0QP,+UK/@51.4979486,-0.1439707,3a,37.5y,279.38h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxJSxq66Dy2yU5DDqKjHatA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DxJSxq66Dy2yU5DDqKjHatA%26cb_client%3Dsearch.gws-prod.gps%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D279.37558%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!4m22!1m16!4m15!1m6!1m2!1s0x48760521aaebdc4d:0x5d364f36086cfd15!2sVictoria+Station,+Victoria+St,+London+SW1E+5ND,+United+Kingdom!2m2!1d-0.1438979!2d51.4952103!1m6!1m2!1s0x487605212189b9c3:0x5a46f3cd699ac4d5!2s8+Buckingham+Palace+Road,+London,+UK!2m2!1d-0.1441761!2d51.497951!3e2!3m4!1s0x487605212189b9c3:0x5a46f3cd699ac4d5!8m2!3d51.497951!4d-0.1441761

I used the port testing at Southampton and it was very easy and efficient. You have to wait an extra 20mins to get the result but it wasn’t that much of an issue for us.

We had taken a lateral flow test at home before setting off so were as sure as we could be that we would be negative at port.

It was also $25 rather than $60 as advertised, so that felt like a nice bonus! Not sure if that was a one off thing or is the new price going forward.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MelodytheBellady said:

Be careful, if one of you tests positive at the port you might all be denied boarding because you are traveling as a group. Plus all forced to quarantine at a hotel. This happened to a group of 11 traveling from FL to CA to get on a Princess cruise to Hawaii, Jan 2022.  One person was positive, all had to quarantine for five days. Then they were flown home.  

On 4/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, kml246 said:

It's the EU that's requiring the one-day before test. If you are sailing from UK without any stops in an EU port, perhaps they won't require the one-day test. Here's the excerpt from the EU Princess page:

image.thumb.png.7ed7b1667665702bcc4545807297fd79.png

We are sailing on Enchanted Princess out of Southampton on July 22, 2022 to Norway and Iceland. Even though the UK sailing page shows what you posted, if I go to the Cruise Personalizer, this is what it says at the bottom of the Travel Summary (I added the highlighting):

image.thumb.png.19bd6aad08ebc3f1fc56d4a1b4b410f9.png

You may want to check your Travel Summary and see what it says. Since this is going to potentially cause problems, I'm confident Princess will have testing available at the port. 

Good luck,

Kevin

What I posted IS directly from Princess, for sailing from the UK, not EU.

Edited by nini

On 4/29/2022 at 8:59 AM, MelodytheBellady said:

There are pharmacy chains in London that do testing. Consider asking your hotel. I think one of them is called "Boots".

3 hours ago, TVlife said:

Be careful, if one of you tests positive at the port you might all be denied boarding because you are traveling as a group. Plus all forced to quarantine at a hotel. This happened to a group of 11 traveling from FL to CA to get on a Princess cruise to Hawaii, Jan 2022.  One person was positive, all had to quarantine for five days. Then they were flown home.  

Thanks, that’s a definite concern. We plan on taking every precaution.

6 hours ago, Knixuk said:

I used the port testing at Southampton and it was very easy and efficient. You have to wait an extra 20mins to get the result but it wasn’t that much of an issue for us.

We had taken a lateral flow test at home before setting off so were as sure as we could be that we would be negative at port.

It was also $25 rather than $60 as advertised, so that felt like a nice bonus! Not sure if that was a one off thing or is the new price going forward.

Thank you so much. That makes me feel better. And taking a rapid test before then will help ease our anxiety. 

Just now, MelodytheBellady said:

Was the port testing via Princess, or was it for all the cruise lines?

8 hours ago, nini said:

What I posted IS directly from Princess, for sailing from the UK, not EU.

I understand, Nini, I'm just trying to be helpful and pass along information. Princess is famous for posting conflicting information. We're sailing from the UK (Southampton, too) and our Travel Summary says we must get tested within one day. I don't know what cruise you're going on, so you may not be visiting any ports in the EU, so the current EU requirement may not apply. Our cruise is going to Norway and Iceland, so we're visiting the EU, thus the requirement in our Travel Summary. You may want to check the bottom of your Travel Summary to see what it says there. It's a PDF online in the Cruise Personalizer on the princess.com. It's worth checking, because that's what will apply to you, regardless of what it says on the Health Protocols page. Hopefully, you won't need to follow the more restrictive requirement. Worst that can happen is you will need to test at the port.

Kevin

On 4/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, Buckeye10640 said:

Mike you seem to be the expert with all things Canada. I am vaccinated and boosted.  Princess states 2 testing paths, one for embarking in the US (3 days PCR or Antigen) and one for embarking in Canada (72 hours PCR and 2 days antigen). If I am embarking in the US and disembarking in Canada/Vancouver do I need to follow the 2 day antigen test rule or can it be 3 days?  The distinction is important for  us because its a difference between testing at home versus after we fly to Anchorage. Even my PVP says its unclear and she is checking with her management.  Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply.  You follow the rule of the country you embark, in this case the USA.

The key issue to remember is that if you are fully vaccinated, there is NO pre-entry testing to enter Canada as of 1 April 2022 for entry by air, land(rail), or water (marine).  However, if you enter by air or land, there is still a chance you might get selected for random Covid 19 testing.  And there are other reasons you have to test, such as unvaccinated, etc.

Now, if you are flying home the day you disembark in Vancouver, the USA requires you to have an antigen/PCR test within one day of arrival.  However, if you cross into the USA by land, there is no testing required by the USA.

6 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

Sorry for the late reply.  You follow the rule of the country you embark, in this case the USA.

The key issue to remember is that if you are fully vaccinated, there is NO pre-entry testing to enter Canada as of 1 April 2022 for entry by air, land(rail), or water (marine).  However, if you enter by air or land, there is still a chance you might get selected for random Covid 19 testing.  And there are other reasons you have to test, such as unvaccinated, etc.

Now, if you are flying home the day you disembark in Vancouver, the USA requires you to have an antigen/PCR test within one day of arrival.  However, if you cross into the USA by land, there is no testing required by the USA.

But if you are starting your cruise in Canada, for example Vancouver, then you follow Transport & Health Canada rules as stated in the Princess FAQs for pre-embarkation testing, that came into effect, 1 April 2022, which is within 2 days for an antigen and 72 hours for a PCR negative Covid test, but you are not;  you are starting your cruise in the USA.  See the Princess FAQs as they finally got it right and up to date approx 11 April.

Transport Canada Ship Safety Bulletin (modified 26 Apr 2022): 

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-26-2022 

Hope that helps. 

16 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

But if you are starting your cruise in Canada, for example Vancouver, then you follow Transport & Health Canada rules as stated in the Princess FAQs for pre-embarkation testing, that came into effect, 1 April 2022, which is within 2 days for an antigen and 72 hours for a PCR negative Covid test, but you are not;  you are starting your cruise in the USA.  See the Princess FAQs as they finally got it right and up to date approx 11 April.

Transport Canada Ship Safety Bulletin (modified 26 Apr 2022): 

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-26-2022 

Hope that helps. 

And to make it near complete, I forgot to mention that a cruise line may have pre-embarkation testing the day of boarding or after sailing or prior to a port entry..... "out of an abundance of caution...."

• Like 1

The updated Canada transport rules have eliminated the language about Canada's more restrictive testing requirements applying to all cruises that dock at any point in the cruise in Canada. Since this language has now been eliminated it seems much clearer that if the cruise STARTS in the U.S. and ENDS in Vancouver, Canada's more restrictive timing of taking PCR and antigen tests DO NOT apply. This is critical for me because we are from Florida and now it looks like we can get the PCR test anytime on Sunday for a cruise that leaves from Anchorage on Wednesday. Otherwise we were going to have to take the test based on the 72 hour rule for PCR and that would be difficult for us given the 4 hour time change also needing to be figured in to the calculation ( we are unsure if we can get a test at Walgreens or CVS on Memorial Day, that Monday before our trip and we leave early Tuesday to fly to Anchorage so we need to test on Sunday).

Now we only have to worry about securing tests for our return back to the U.S. since we are flying back.. We are hoping we can get the tests to return the the U.S. at the port in Vancouver before we head to the airport, and pray we are negative...Some have posted on Facebook that Princess provided tests on the ship last week that ended in Vancouver the day before disembarkation. Fingers crossed that will be possible. That would be even better !

On 4/25/2022 at 2:45 AM, BadgerBill57 said:

Are cruise guests flying into Italy from the US and embarking in Civitavecchia required to fill out the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) before arriving in Italy?

The requirements changed on the 1st of May. Below is what is on the UK Government website. I'm pretty sure it will apply to US citizens but please double check.                                                                                   

From 1 May travellers will no longer be required to complete a passenger locator form (EU PLF) to enter or travel through Italy as a visitor.

Until 30 May, all travellers, aged 6 and over, must show one of the following:

• proof of vaccination OR
  • evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before entering Italy or a negative rapid lateral flow test taken within the 48 hours before entering Italy OR
  • a COVID-19 recovery certificate, certifying that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, erber said:

The updated Canada transport rules have eliminated the language about Canada's more restrictive testing requirements applying to all cruises that dock at any point in the cruise in Canada. Since this language has now been eliminated it seems much clearer that if the cruise STARTS in the U.S. and ENDS in Vancouver, Canada's more restrictive timing of taking PCR and antigen tests DO NOT apply. This is critical for me because we are from Florida and now it looks like we can get the PCR test anytime on Sunday for a cruise that leaves from Anchorage on Wednesday. Otherwise we were going to have to take the test based on the 72 hour rule for PCR and that would be difficult for us given the 4 hour time change also needing to be figured in to the calculation ( we are unsure if we can get a test at Walgreens or CVS on Memorial Day, that Monday before our trip and we leave early Tuesday to fly to Anchorage so we need to test on Sunday).

Now we only have to worry about securing tests for our return back to the U.S. since we are flying back.. We are hoping we can get the tests to return the the U.S. at the port in Vancouver before we head to the airport, and pray we are negative...Some have posted on Facebook that Princess provided tests on the ship last week that ended in Vancouver the day before disembarkation. Fingers crossed that will be possible. That would be even better !

Erber could you point me to where you found this online? I have checked the Canadian sites I am aware of including those Mike and others so kindly posted.  But I have yet to find this wording to suggest the 72 hour rule applies only to embarkations out of Vancouver.  Maybe I have read so much I am overlooking it! There are 4 of us and I really want to able to use our pre-flight tests and my timelines are similar to yours. We cannot test within 72 hrs pre-embarkation from home.   Thanks!

"The updated Canada transport rules have eliminated the language about Canada's more restrictive testing requirements applying to all cruises that dock at any point in the cruise in Canada"

Edited by Buckeye10640

47 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Erber could you point me to where you found this online? I have checked the Canadian sites I am aware of including those Mike and others so kindly posted.  But I have yet to find this wording to suggest the 72 hour rule applies only to embarkations out of Vancouver.  Maybe I have read so much I am overlooking it! There are 4 of us and I really want to able to use our pre-flight tests and my timelines are similar to yours. We cannot test within 72 hrs pre-embarkation from home.   Thanks!

"The updated Canada transport rules have eliminated the language about Canada's more restrictive testing requirements applying to all cruises that dock at any point in the cruise in Canada"

Buckeye,

I looked at the link provided by Mike and Zen and it doesn't have the language  that states testing applies to cruises that dock at any point in Canada. So I am assuming (maybe that is a mistake on my part?) that only cruises embarking in Canada have the 72 hour rule and cruises embarking in U.S. follow the U.S. rule. Is there still some Canada regulation stating the testing rules apply to cruises that dock at any point in Canada? If that is the case, then I am wrong and the 72 hour rule is back in play. That would be a problem for us. Now I am back to thinking we need to order the Emed tests....This is so ridiculous that the rules are not clear.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, erber said:

Buckeye,

I looked at the link provided by Mike and Zen and it doesn't have the language  that states testing applies to cruises that dock at any point in Canada. So I am assuming (maybe that is a mistake on my part?) that only cruises embarking in Canada have the 72 hour rule and cruises embarking in U.S. follow the U.S. rule. Is there still some Canada regulation stating the testing rules apply to cruises that dock at any point in Canada? If that is the case, then I am wrong and the 72 hour rule is back in play. That would be a problem for us. Now I am back to thinking we need to order the Emed tests....This is so ridiculous that the rules are not clear.

Yes so frustrating. Below wording is what I focused on at that link. Am I thinking too hard? Maybe we dont fall into their category of  'passengers requiring a pre-embarkation' test.....

Under TESTING FRAMEWORK

"Passengers onboard all cruise ships, including small cruise ships operating exclusively between Canadian ports, may be subject to additional testing requirements as well as isolation and quarantine requirements, as outlined below.

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruishie ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship."
Edited by Buckeye10640

Buckeye,

I think we aren't embarking in Canada. Heck. I don't know. I think I am going with "I can get a test anytime on Sunday..." If I am wrong, then I guess we will have to pay at the port for another test? I don't trust calling Princess either. When are you cruising? We "embark" on June 1 from Anchorage..

But then there is this:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This has the language applicable to ships docking in Canada... It was updated April 22. So, now I am concerned again the 72 hour rule is applicable. 

Edited by erber

4 hours ago, erber said:

Buckeye,

I think we aren't embarking in Canada. Heck. I don't know. I think I am going with "I can get a test anytime on Sunday..." If I am wrong, then I guess we will have to pay at the port for another test? I don't trust calling Princess either. When are you cruising? We "embark" on June 1 from Anchorage..

But then there is this:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This has the language applicable to ships docking in Canada... It was updated April 22. So, now I am concerned again the 72 hour rule is applicable. 

I will report back to you, we sail on 5/14! And Princess told me 3 days. But I am finding many think 3 days=72 hours and they use it interchangeably.  Its NOT the same in this situation.  On Majestic currently sailing LA to YVR it seems they have done retesting for free at the port, as reported by some current passengers.