Question on quarantine on the ship

weluvtravel

Hi, we are booked in a balcony cabin on the Panorama for the end of February.  We all have the vaccine and the booster as well.  My daughter is HIGHLY claustrophobic.  She can't even go camping in a tent due to the claustrophobia.  I have read that if you get sick onboard with Covid that they move you to a cabin in a "quarantine area".  She would be ok with a window or a balcony but not an inside cabin.  She would have panic attacks and it would not be good.  Does anyone know what kind of a cabin you get in the quarantine area?  Am considering canceling or moving the trip because she is very worried about it.  Thank you.

• Like 2

I have read they are inside cabins on one deck, has she been treated by a doctor for this issue? If so, then perhaps carry a doctors note stating the issue just in case?  Not sure it would work (you may not have a choice) but worth it if it did the job and could make your daughter more comfortable if needed.  Good luck with that!  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

I hate to say but if you have any special requests like oceanview or balcony quarruntine cabin due to being clasttophobic in closed spaces perhaps the Special Needs Department can guide you or consider postponing your cruise.

• Like 2

I think you need to ask those that have sailed on whatever cruise ship you're going on what decks and rooms are used as the quarantine rooms.

For example on the Mardi Gras it was Deck 4 aft, that has both ocean view and inside rooms.

• Like 1

I understand your conundrum OP. This concearns me as well and is deal breaker. It would be nice if there was some clarification by the lines about this. I would rather be put off the ship than be stuck for days on end in a windowless room that is smaller than my master bathroom. I'm definitly sticking with my 4 day now and not going for a 7 until all this mess is settled. Ugghh, it's all just so frustrating.   

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, carribbound said:

I am curious, are people willingly going to the medical center sick? Or are the carnival staff noticing you have a symptom and making you test??

I'll bet people now won't go to medical unless they feel they are in serious distress if they know their cruise will be over and they will be stuck in a inside cabin (imagine testing positive on day one and being stuck for 6 days..yikes!). I predict the "self-reporting" plummeting to near zero on upcoming cruises. Just a hunch...lol. 

• Like 3

On another note if the OP's daughter needed to quarribtine at home or in a small dorm room vs on a cruise which is better?

I would take Room Service and Movies any day. Also I would want WIFI so I would take the money I did not spend on shore excursions for that. Now I do not want to get sick onboard.

Question would alcohol be allowed to be purchased and consumed in the quarrintine room? That may seal the deal😁 I should be allowed Cheers in my room. Also how about Ice Cream Sundaes , Cappuchinos, Steaks . I get better by eating good food. 

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, weluvtravel said:

Hi, we are booked in a balcony cabin on the Panorama for the end of February.  We all have the vaccine and the booster as well.  My daughter is HIGHLY claustrophobic.  She can't even go camping in a tent due to the claustrophobia.  I have read that if you get sick onboard with Covid that they move you to a cabin in a "quarantine area".  She would be ok with a window or a balcony but not an inside cabin.  She would have panic attacks and it would not be good.  Does anyone know what kind of a cabin you get in the quarantine area?  Am considering canceling or moving the trip because she is very worried about it.  Thank you.

On our boat they left the sick people in what I assume was their original room, right next to all the non sick passengers.. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

On our boat they left the sick people in what I assume was their original room, right next to all the non sick passengers.. 

Folks just be prepared to catch COVID. If its too high of a risk please consult with your Doctor and go from there.

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor
12 hours ago, carribbound said:

I am curious, are people willingly going to the medical center sick? Or are the carnival staff noticing you have a symptom and making you test??

I think their feeling bad enough to be concerned. Some people just care about health and their fellow passengers and want to do the right thing about spreading tis virus.

Edited by BasicSailor

if the symptoms are as mild as most report including my family, I would have to be dying before I would report my self. I can quarantine myself in my cabin, and at least have that. I imagine the true numbers of people positive on each ship are way higher than reported. Not a good scene.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ddled said:

if the symptoms are as mild as most report including my family, I would have to be dying before I would report my self. I can quarantine myself in my cabin, and at least have that. I imagine the true numbers of people positive on each ship are way higher than reported. Not a good scene.

There are always people who won't say a thing so as to not ruin their vacation.

But remember that Covid has been dealt with very differently depending on where you are from, and when you bring people from around U.S., Canada, and even Europe together you are going to have different responses.

On my NYE cruise roll call, after we got home, some people tested because they had symptoms and found out they had Covid, some tested and came back negative (I was one of them). Some had symptoms but did not test because as they said "it was cruise crud". Some people got mad and angry that we were even talking about Covid after the cruise and told us "to stop living in fear."

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 5:21 PM, weluvtravel said:

From reading recent threads … it seems to be dependent on the ship and possibly the number of cases.  On the Equinox…  there was a whole section on deck 6 for quarantined passengers … all with balconies.   But they also had Deck 2 & 3 … which is inside & ocean view.  I believe the Constellation also had the combination of all 3, balcony, inside & ocean view.   
Perhaps you can ask your TA if she could find out what decks and cabins your ship has set aside for quarantining.  Or if you booked directly with the cruise line, call them.  Explain your concern.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, ddled said:

The difference is the air system has been changed in the quarantine area, the staff is protected, people in your cabin are not continuously exposed, and they can monitor your health in case you are one of the few that gets very sick. In other words, it's not about your experience, it's about other people.  However, sadly, I think you are correct.  Probably the #1 reason we can't get this under control.

• Like 2

We are sailing on the Sunshine on Jan 31. We had booked 2 cabins on deck 1 (like to be lower due to seasickness). We got an email a couple of weeks ago stating that we had been "upgraded" for free to a higher deck because the cabins we had originally booked would be "unavailable" at the time of our sailing. We have been speculating that this may be so they can set aside those cabins for a quarantine area that is on a lower deck to limit exposure. But that is just speculation. 

To the OP: speaking as someone who deals with debilitating panic attacks, if you know that this will pose a major potential problem then IMHO, you should cancel and rebook for a later date after all of this is better under control. As others have suggested, give guest services a call and see what they say. Only you and your family can make the decision about what is best for you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ddled said:

People still have attitudes like this and we wonder why COVID continues to spread...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Appears standard now that no one in being quarantined in a balcony cabin except in cases in which they ran out of quarantine rooms and in those cases you are not allowed to open your balcony doors. 

I think it was either breeze or vista they used deck 2 and also those cove balconies. ..cruise I was on. Coves are all low decks so might only be on ships that have them.

• Like 1

The quarantine cabins are in a specific area and they can really be any type of cabin. I don't have personal experience but I've seen YouTube videos where people were quarantined and some were moved to balcony cabins. I'd guess it's luck of the draw.

2 hours ago, cmichael1221 said:

People still have attitudes like this and we wonder why COVID continues to spread...

I had to bite my tongue and not get into an argument with someone on the Book of Faces who said "if I test positive I better be able to stay in my balcony room" and then after I indicated how I didn't want them next to me said "well you better not go out on your balcony."

O.k rant over. People are selfish. I get that. I guess since cruising is so expensive you're going to bring out the bratty entitled rich people. 😞