Has the Feb 5th Nieuw Amsterdam sailing been cancelled?

cruisin'mama

I went onto the HAL website and our Feb 5th  NA sailing is no longer showing. I also checked other websites but couldn’t find it on any of them either. We haven’t been notified that it has been cancelled so I’m not sure what to think. Has anyone heard anything about that sailing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

I went onto the HAL website and our Feb 5th  NA sailing is no longer showing. I also checked other websites but couldn’t find it on any of them either. We haven’t been notified that it has been cancelled so I’m not sure what to think. Has anyone heard anything about that sailing?

Also on 5 FEB 2022 on NA.

I am seeing the same, and now the Rotterdam 5 Feb sailing suddenly has no suites, and no verandah's available except a guarantee.  

Appears they are cancelling more than 3 cruises on NA.  The alternate trip in Rotterdam is 8 days and not as nice IMHO.  But in times of COVID, I recognize that HAL is doing what they must.  Perhaps the NA crew can help them deal with positives on teh other ships.

I’m hoping that people from cancelled cruises have moved to this sailing and they are now at capacity ( for how full they want the ship to be)    and aren’t opening it to any more new bookings.  I know….probably just wishful thinking, but I really hope it doesn’t get cancelled!

• Like 1

I just received this reply to the email that I sent to my TA....

Thank you for your email.   Hope this find you and your family safe and well.    I spoke with Holland, and they do not have a cancellation at this time.  Was advised the ship may have reached the capacity at which it is sailing.   Currently the ship is sailing as normal.   If anything changes you will be notified.    Let me know if you have any further concerns.

I just disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam yesterday 1/8, We were told onboard by crew, staff and other passengers (nothing official from HAL), that after our sailing they were going to use the NA as a support ship and transfer positive crew to it for quarantine. Guest that was scheduled to continue on the 1/8 sailing had the option of transferring to the Rotterdam for the 1/9 sailing. If you accepted HAL put you in a hotel in FLL overnight. The crew had the option of staying onboard or going home for 3 weeks at their own expense. Most of the crew I spoke to were staying on. Some of the staff were being transferred to the Rotterdam and were advised it would be for 3-4 weeks (Tomas the Entertainment Director was going to the Rotterdam and he is wonderful!). The reason the NA was chosen was because the 1/8 sailing only had 300-400 people booked on it. They did not inform us of how many positive cases they had onboard, but we were able to disembark at all ports on our 9-day cruise. Once again, there was nothing officially from HAL just the information that came from others onboard. I hope this helps. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, charterchick said:

I just disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam yesterday 1/8, We were told onboard by crew, staff and other passengers (nothing official from HAL), that after our sailing they were going to use the NA as a support ship and transfer positive crew to it for quarantine. Guest that was scheduled to continue on the 1/8 sailing had the option of transferring to the Rotterdam for the 1/9 sailing. If you accepted HAL put you in a hotel in FLL overnight. The crew had the option of staying onboard or going home for 3 weeks at their own expense. Most of the crew I spoke to were staying on. Some of the staff were being transferred to the Rotterdam and were advised it would be for 3-4 weeks (Tomas the Entertainment Director was going to the Rotterdam and he is wonderful!). The reason the NA was chosen was because the 1/8 sailing only had 300-400 people booked on it. They did not inform us of how many positive cases they had onboard, but we were able to disembark at all ports on our 9-day cruise. Once again, there was nothing officially from HAL just the information that came from others onboard. I hope this helps. 

This is exactly what I wondered about and posted up thread. This makes a ton of sense.  Thank you.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

My previous post should have said the NA was going to be used to quarantine crew, not positive crew. I was told by crew members that they have to quarantine if they become sick, even if it is not Covid. My favorite bar server said he felt ill, so they quarantined him for 10 days even though he had 3 negative Covid tests. There were entertainers on board last week that went to quarantine even though they had not tested positive. I felt like they were doing everything they could to keep passengers and crew safe. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, charterchick said:

My previous post should have said the NA was going to be used to quarantine crew, not positive crew. I was told by crew members that they have to quarantine if they become sick, even if it is not Covid. My favorite bar server said he felt ill, so they quarantined him for 10 days even though he had 3 negative Covid tests. There were entertainers on board last week that went to quarantine even though they had not tested positive. I felt like they were doing everything they could to keep passengers and crew safe. 

That’s good to hear that are being so careful.

We are sailing on Celebrity Apex on Jan 22, and Sky Princess on Jan 22, then getting on Nieuw Amsterdam on Feb 5.

I just saw that my Feb 5 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise has been cancelled and that they moved my reservation to the Rotterdam. We are traveling with another couple and they have been moved also. 

Not sure if we will accept the move. The Rotterdam is an 8 day so we will need to change our return flight from Saturday to Sunday. We are on Southwest so it’s no big problem other than costing about $150 more for both of us. Waiting to see if Holland America will pay for the difference. 

So far they have not offered any additional perks (guess they will say we are now getting an extra day).

Our big concern is that with moving people from Nieuw Amsterdam to Rotterdam, will

Rotterdam now be sailing full? Hopefully our TA can get some info..

1 hour ago, cruisin'mama said:

My TA JUST called HAL and they moved us to the Rotterdam cruise without me wanting to go on that cruise. And he said  they didn’t even put us in another suite. I reminded him that I just wanted a refund! Pretty disappointed’

I hope you can get it cancelled. That's the reason I don't use a TA. I like to be able to control my bookings.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Charlie1422 said:

I hope you can get it cancelled. That's the reason I don't use a TA. I like to be able to control my bookings.

Holland America just moved people from one cruise to another. I have never had a problem with my TA canceling a cruise. 

• Like 2

We were given the choice of moving the cruise to Rotterdam or cancelling for refund. We chose refund. After numerous cancellations ( through no fault of HAL), we aren't going to book again until this is over, if that ever occurs. I'm not anti TA, just like to make my own decisions.

• Like 1

HAL never notified me or my TA that the cruise had been cancelled and that we were put on an alternate cruise. They said they sent me the email, but I’ve been very aware that it might be coming and was looking for it!  We are now trying to get a refund but I’m pretty disappointed because we had a really sweet Suite deal, all the HIA including Crew incentives, a very large amount of OBC, awesome independent private excursions etc.

I will probably wait a while before trying to book another similar cruise until things get back closer to normal. I’m glad at least we had a pleasant cruise last month on Koningsdam.

• Like 1