Does Celebrity give needed covid tests on last day ?

Virginia100

6 hours ago, DC1andDC2 said:

You know, we have also been very disappointed with how Celebrity (and other lines) have been playing the bait and switch game with regards to their "travel with Confidence" policies in the last few months.  We booked based on promises which obviously they had no intention of keeping.  We are very upset with the testing now being performed at the pier on day of disembarkation because we have flights booked for 11:45 AM........but we thought we were OK with at least having the costs of the tests covered because we had booked for our Feb 12, Apex cruise last March.  We totally missed the "paid in full" change to the Nov 16th date and like you, it seems we now no longer qualify because we chose to take advantage of their change from 90 days to 60 days for final payment (which was supposedly to ease our minds during increasing Covid numbers worldwide) and we made final payment on Dec 4.

It is so disappointing to see these policies changed just like that with no consideration given to the guests who thought they were booking with safety nets in place which were promised by the lines.  We have been on the fence but this is the last straw and we will likely cancel now.

I spoke to my CVP about this yesterday and he has contacted the resolution department. When  I explained it to him I could tell he wasn't happy with how it was handled. In my case I booked October 29th then sailed on the Silhouette November 12th to 22nd it was actually on the cruise that I found out about the changes but knew I was ok because of booking time frame now they have added the words paid in full. This is very recent and I have major issue with how Celebrity treats their guests once they have you cornered. I really do feel like canceling but then still have to use FCC and cancel West Jet flights. My sister will just put up with it.   PCR tests start at $99 but then by the time it hits my credit card much more. By the way the cost for those test is around $7 each. Yes well aware its all about business.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, Fouremco said:

Your reading comprehension is letting you down.

I have NO comprehension problems at all actually.     Did you actually verify it with Celebrity?  Or are you simply whining about an "unimaginable" situation with no verification.  Whatever dude,  If $99 is your "line in the sand," well.... I guess we all have our breaking point.  Personally, I simply want the cruise lines to survive and if that means I foot the bill for a Covid test to help keep them stay in business, I can do that.  If it's too much for you I suggest you simply stay home and save your money,. 

Edited by papaflamingo

On 1/8/2022 at 8:28 PM, drakes2 said:

'Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee'

The above was taken from Celebritys website under Healthy at Sea;   testing and screening section. The way I read it is that your booking has to be paid in full prior to November 16 2021.  This is the new update. 

I ask again... did you verify this with Celebrity?  Sounds like you didn't.  You might want to call them and see if you are grandfathered in before jumping to any conclusions.  Especially if this is a "deal breaker" for you.  

Edited by papaflamingo

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I ask again... did you verify this with Celebrity?  Sounds like you didn't.

The verification is on Celebritys website, however, I spoke to my CVP who in turn has sent an email to the appropriate department who is closed on the weekend; should know by tomorrow.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

The verification is on Celebritys website, however, I spoke to my CVP who in turn has sent an email to the appropriate department who is closed on the weekend; should know by tomorrow.

Good luck.  I hope you get resolution to this issue.  You should not have to pay the testing costs as you were contracted based on their terms and conditions(which I understand they can change, without notice).

For those that do not think this is a big issue and that you should suck it up, maybe they should call Celebrity and tell them they are concerned about the cruiseline's future and offer to pay them more than they originally agreed for their cruise.   I am sure that will happen... 🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Good luck.  I hope you get resolution to this issue.  You should not have to pay the testing costs as you were contracted based on their terms and conditions(which I understand they can change, without notice).

For those that do not think this is a big issue and that you should suck it up, maybe they should call Celebrity and tell them they are concerned about the cruiseline's future and offer to pay them more than they originally agreed for their cruise.   I am sure that will happen... 🙂

@tert333 I was not aware they could change the terms without notice. I made final payment for my January 30th cruise on November 28th a few days before due date. I could easily have paid the balance on November 15th had I known that I was going to be charged a testing fee. The issue is not the additional charge its more about not informing their guests in advance. 

• Like 3

On 1/8/2022 at 11:21 AM, RealBatman said:

The tests are now done at the pier, AFTER disembarkation, at your expense ($99US per test for PCR testing).

The policy has changed multiple times. Originally, bookings prior to Nov 16th were complimentary and done onboard. Then they moved to the pier. Now they are no longer complimentary unless you paid the cruise fare in full prior to November 16th, 2021. 

It's effectively added $250 CDN on to our cruise fare that we originally booked more than a year prior to sailing - not to mention the stress of getting it done before our flight departure a few hours later! 

"Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021."  https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

We cruised in December, and I had received written confirmation that Celebrity would provide the testing at no charge while on board, in order for us to return to Canada (flying on disembarkation day). The new policy is exceptionally problematic for those who don't stay longer in the U.S. prior to returning to Canada, as the timing is likely to be unworkable in terms of getting results in time. Not to mention that my final payment day for a February cruise would have been before November 16th, 2021; I did not ask for this and would have refused the option of a later payment date had I known about this change.I believe this policy is very poorly thought out; the intent is clearly to allow X to avoid living up to their Cruise with Confidence policy. 

7 minutes ago, Cruising from Mississauga said:

I believe this policy is very poorly thought out; the intent is clearly to allow X to avoid living up to their Cruise with Confidence policy. 

The policy is extremely poorly thought out and Celebrity can get away with it.  Be prepared for more changes and not in our favour.  

9 hours ago, drakes2 said:

@tert333 I was not aware they could change the terms without notice. I made final payment for my January 30th cruise on November 28th a few days before due date. I could easily have paid the balance on November 15th had I known that I was going to be charged a testing fee. The issue is not the additional charge its more about not informing their guests in advance. 

8 minutes ago, Cruising from Mississauga said:

We cruised in December, and I had received written confirmation that Celebrity would provide the testing at no charge while on board, in order for us to return to Canada (flying on disembarkation day). The new policy is exceptionally problematic for those who don't stay longer in the U.S. prior to returning to Canada, as the timing is likely to be unworkable in terms of getting results in time. Not to mention that my final payment day for a February cruise would have been before November 16th, 2021; I did not ask for this and would have refused the option of a later payment date had I known about this change.I believe this policy is very poorly thought out; the intent is clearly to allow X to avoid living up to their Cruise with Confidence policy. 

You and others will be happy to know that Celebrity has done another about face and dropped the "paid by November 16" requirement. It's back to bookings made by that date.

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You and others will be happy to know that Celebrity has done another about face and dropped the "paid by November 16" requirement. It's back to bookings made by that date.

Probably had a lot of complaints and very unhappy guests myself included.  I will let my CVP know and save him a call to Celebrity. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, papaflamingo said:

Have you verified that they won't cover the cost?

@papaflamingoCelebrity has today dropped the $99 USD charge for the PCR testing for those who booked cruises prior to November 16, 2021.  I guess they got a lot of flack from guests, myself included. Well, it seems the squeaky wheel gets oiled first. 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peery5 said:

We are on Silhouette now and will move to Apex on the 15th.  Scheduled our Covid test thru celebrity to be done as we disembark.  Nothing said about a charge.

Apparently it was a typo or so they say. As long as you booked prior to November 16 2021 there is no charge. 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, drakes2 said:

'Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee'

The above was taken from Celebritys website under Healthy at Sea;   testing and screening section. The way I read it is that your booking has to be paid in full prior to November 16 2021.  This is the new update. 

I just pulled this from the website and there is no reference to booking prior to November 16 “be paid in full”. See below:

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type. 

18 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

I just pulled this from the website and there is no reference to booking prior to November 16 “be paid in full”. See below:

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type. 

@360GuyThat's because it was corrected on the weekend. I received confirmation of the change this morning. 

17 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@360GuyThat's because it was corrected on the weekend. I received confirmation of the change this morning. 

Thank you for this information.  I noted that this was from their webpage dated January 6.  So it appears they haven’t updated their webpage as of yet.   Expecting I will be complaining to Celebrity.  We have to be tested when we got off the ship in Southampton in order to return to the US.  Guess I will be packing extra Abbott Binax tests via eMed!

1 hour ago, 360Guy said:

Thank you for this information.  I noted that this was from their webpage dated January 6.  So it appears they haven’t updated their webpage as of yet.   Expecting I will be complaining to Celebrity.  We have to be tested when we got off the ship in Southampton in order to return to the US.  Guess I will be packing extra Abbott Binax tests via eMed!

Re read drakes2!  Looks like I misunderstood and they will be covering for booked before November16.  Sorry for my confusion!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 5:27 PM, Fouremco said:

Celebrity has dropped the Booked and paid for in full by November 16 2021 to be eligible for the covid test to be covered however, there is a time frame attached. According to a supervisor at Celebrity it only applies to sailings up to January 31, 2022, so even if you booked prior to this date and cruise from February onwards you are on the hook for the PCR test. Another mess created by Celebrity. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Celebrity has dropped the Booked and paid for in full by November 16 2021 to be eligible for the covid test to be covered however, there is a time frame attached. According to a supervisor at Celebrity it only applies to sailings up to January 31, 2022, so even if you booked prior to this date and cruise from February onwards you are on the hook for the PCR test. Another mess created by Celebrity. 

Definitely a mess with constant changes and a lack of clarity.