Does Celebrity give needed covid tests on last day ?

Virginia100

This is on the Celebrity website.  

"All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disemberkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

We were emailed the link to a questionnaire a few days before boarding that asked about testing requirements for our travels post-cruise. So at the moment the answer is yes, Celebrity will provide the necessary tests. 

However, things like that can change on a moment’s notice. 

1 hour ago, Quarantined said:

We were emailed the link to a questionnaire a few days before boarding that asked about testing requirements for our travels post-cruise. So at the moment the answer is yes, Celebrity will provide the necessary tests. 

However, things like that can change on a moment’s notice. 

We have an 11;55 flight back to Canada the day of debarkation

The air line moved back the flight time so a bit nervous I won't get results in time.  

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

This is on the Celebrity website.  

"All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disemberkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

The Beyond will be cruising in Europe in August, so the US travel requirements don't apply. Last year, the rules for US cruises and those for European cruises were quite different. The European rules for 2022 have not been published as yet, and when they are, there is a very good chance that they will change several times over before the OP's cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

The air line moved back the flight time so a bit nervous I won't get results in time.  

Now that Celebrity is doing the testing post disembarkation that’s cutting it close. I felt better when they upheld their original policy of doing the testing the last full day of the cruise. Extra stress now on departure day! Fingers crossed that you test negative!

For our cruise on Equinox ending January 2 2022, testing was preformed as complimentary on board at one specific time only, night before debarkation at 5-6 pm for guests remaining on board for another cruise or for those 'jumping' to another Celebrity ship (eg. Apex).  Woman complaining at guest relations desk about the time was inconvenient for her. Purser recommended she get off and pay for it out of her own pocket. Met many passengers in terminal that had flights. Those with carry on luggage zipped through customs and lined up outside terminal for testing. Those, like us, with several suitcases had to wait on side lines until instructed to collect (portered) our bags then zip through customs (there were at least 3 maybe 4 agents on duty this time). The others got in line for their testing for their flights home just outside terminal ( I do not think it was complimentary ? like it was for those remaining on board or traveling again with Celebrity). At Terminal 29 one had to walk 50-100 feet to the left to get a cab. 2 lines of cabs waiting. a third lane for us retrieving our cars was open and formed another lane closer to the curb. A 4th group of Black Suv's  allowed to park in front of terminal for covid positives.

The tests are now done at the pier, AFTER disembarkation, at your expense ($99US per test for PCR testing).

The policy has changed multiple times. Originally, bookings prior to Nov 16th were complimentary and done onboard. Then they moved to the pier. Now they are no longer complimentary unless you paid the cruise fare in full prior to November 16th, 2021. 

It's effectively added $250 CDN on to our cruise fare that we originally booked more than a year prior to sailing - not to mention the stress of getting it done before our flight departure a few hours later! 

"Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021."  https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

If the airline changed your departure time you may be eligible to change your flight at no cost.

2 minutes ago, Antropos said:

If the airline changed your departure time you may be eligible to change your flight at no cost.

We booked through Celebrity (Flights by Celebrity) and the same thing happened to us with the airline changing the flight and providing a very small window for a connection. We requested different flights and the airline refused to change the flights without a hefty price increase. Flights by Celebrity did NOT help so now we are faced with not meeting our connection flight in YYZ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The Beyond will be cruising in Europe in August, so the US travel requirements don't apply. Last year, the rules for US cruises and those for European cruises were quite different. The European rules for 2022 have not been published as yet, and when they are, there is a very good chance that they will change several times over before the OP's cruise.

I suspect that Celebrity's policy is the same no matter what country you are sailing from regarding testing prior to international flights.  Celebrity debarking 1000 passengers needing a covid test without providing one on board or at the pier is unimaginable, 

Edited by papaflamingo

13 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I suspect that Celebrity's policy is the same no matter what country you are sailing from regarding testing prior to international flights.  Celebrity debarking 1000 passengers needing a covid test without providing one on board or at the pier is unimaginable, 

Celebrity's change in policy this week so that passengers who had booked their cruises by November 16 would no longer be entitled to free testing unless they had also paid for those bookings in full by that date was also unimaginable.  Restricting a TA last year to American passengers was unimaginable. Quite frankly, there's a lot of unimaginable decisions being made these days, so I'd wait and see what Celebrity decides for August. And as the rules for US cruises are changing weekly, I wouldn't rely on them as an indication of what will be in place 8 months from now in Europe.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Celebrity's change in policy this week so that passengers who had booked their cruises by November 16 would no longer be entitled to free testing unless they had also paid for those bookings in full by that date was also unimaginable.  Restricting a TA last year to American passengers was unimaginable. Quite frankly, there's a lot of unimaginable decisions being made these days, so I'd wait and see what Celebrity decides for August. And as the rules for US cruises are changing weekly, I wouldn't rely on them as an indication of what will be in place 8 months from now in Europe.

So I guess you won't be cruising much.  For me, a $99 test isn't all that unimaginable for a chance to go on  a wonderful cruise.  Well...to each his own as they say,. 

Edited by papaflamingo

28 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

So I guess you won't be cruising much.  For me, a $99 test isn't all that unimaginable for a chance to go on  a wonderful cruise.  Well...to each his own as they say,. 

I agree but my issue is the timing of these tests (24 hours now) is very difficult. Thankfully, if these tests for international covid tests persist into the summer,  Rome where I’m headed has a 25 Euro antigen tests available in the airport. You just need to show your vaccination card snd departing ticket. Reason I’m staying one day longer overnite at the airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

It's not the cost its the principle that I have an issue with. I booked my cruise late October then November policy was changed to bookings made after November 16th were subject to charge for PCR testing. Now Celebrity have included the wording booked and PAID IN FULL.  I made final payment November 29th I could easily have made payment prior to the 16th.  There will be more changes to come and not for the better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

We have a Alaska cruise for this June, Seward to Vancouver. 4 people, 2 US and 2 British. As thing stand now Brits will have to do a antigen test May 30 to get in the US. Then another antigen test before boarding cruise ship June 3. Dock in Vancouver June 10 for a PCR test and quarantine until testing negative. Then off to Victoria, antigen test June 14 to take the Victoria Clipper to Seattle. PCR test June 15 to get back in England. Canada plans on deciding how cruising/docking in Canada by the end of February. Friends say they need to make final payment in Feb. Not sure why, might be insurance and or TA. We will video chat the end of this month and decide to cancel or rebook for 2023 or take our chances. We were to do this cruise last year.

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If that's your only take away, which isn't even close to what I said, you might want to go back and reread my posts. It's all about the constant change and not being able to predict what will happen in Europe many months down the road based on what is happening in the US today. 🙄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

It's not the cost its the principle that I have an issue with. I booked my cruise late October then November policy was changed to bookings made after November 16th were subject to charge for PCR testing. Now Celebrity have included the wording booked and PAID IN FULL.  I made final payment November 29th I could easily have made payment prior to the 16th.  There will be more changes to come and not for the better.

Have you verified that they won't cover the cost?  

2 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

We have a Alaska cruise for this June, Seward to Vancouver. 4 people, 2 US and 2 British. As thing stand now Brits will have to do a antigen test May 30 to get in the US. Then another antigen test before boarding cruise ship June 3. Dock in Vancouver June 10 for a PCR test and quarantine until testing negative. Then off to Victoria, antigen test June 14 to take the Victoria Clipper to Seattle. PCR test June 15 to get back in England. Canada plans on deciding how cruising/docking in Canada by the end of February. Friends say they need to make final payment in Feb. Not sure why, might be insurance and or TA. We will video chat the end of this month and decide to cancel or rebook for 2023 or take our chances. We were to do this cruise last year.

Cruise line rules I suppose.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If that's your only take away, which isn't even close to what I said, you might want to go back and reread my posts. It's all about the constant change and not being able to predict what will happen in Europe many months down the road based on what is happening in the US today. 🙄

Ok.... I reread your comment. Yeah... that's still my takeaway. You used the term "unimaginable" 3 times, all in reference to Celebrity's policies. So exactly WHERE were you talking about "what will happen in Europe many months down the road based on what is happening in the US today?"

12 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Have you verified that they won't cover the cost?  

'Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee'

The above was taken from Celebritys website under Healthy at Sea;   testing and screening section. The way I read it is that your booking has to be paid in full prior to November 16 2021.  This is the new update. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Ok.... I reread your comment. Yeah... that's still my takeaway. You used the term "unimaginable" 3 times, all in reference to Celebrity's policies. So exactly WHERE were you talking about "what will happen in Europe many months down the road based on what is happening in the US today?"

Your reading comprehension is letting you down. Try  "And as the rules for US cruises are changing weekly, I wouldn't rely on them as an indication of what will be in place 8 months from now in Europe." (Post #13)

Anyway, feel free to continue misinterpreting and challenging posts as that seems to make you happy, but I won't be spending any more time responding. Cheers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Your reading comprehension is letting you down. Try  "And as the rules for US cruises are changing weekly, I wouldn't rely on them as an indication of what will be in place 8 months from now in Europe." (Post #13)

Anyway, feel free to continue misinterpreting and challenging posts as that seems to make you happy, but I won't be spending any more time responding. Cheers.

Today is certainly a time of many changes.   At home the University of Arizona announced hours before a basketball game that N95 or similar masks would be required.  Cause a big controversy until the University agreed to provide.

Rules for cruising and travel of all types will certainly change often. Hoping to spend May near Victoria.   Today cannot even count on that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

'Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee'

The above was taken from Celebritys website under Healthy at Sea;   testing and screening section. The way I read it is that your booking has to be paid in full prior to November 16 2021.  This is the new update. 

You know, we have also been very disappointed with how Celebrity (and other lines) have been playing the bait and switch game with regards to their "travel with Confidence" policies in the last few months.  We booked based on promises which obviously they had no intention of keeping.  We are very upset with the testing now being performed at the pier on day of disembarkation because we have flights booked for 11:45 AM........but we thought we were OK with at least having the costs of the tests covered because we had booked for our Feb 12, Apex cruise last March.  We totally missed the "paid in full" change to the Nov 16th date and like you, it seems we now no longer qualify because we chose to take advantage of their change from 90 days to 60 days for final payment (which was supposedly to ease our minds during increasing Covid numbers worldwide) and we made final payment on Dec 4.

It is so disappointing to see these policies changed just like that with no consideration given to the guests who thought they were booking with safety nets in place which were promised by the lines.  We have been on the fence but this is the last straw and we will likely cancel now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1