Depression Has Set In

Loracpin2

7 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I should not be typing this. I should be in seat 11D on a United flight heading to Fort Lauderdale excited to board the Equinox tomorrow after cancelling 3 previous cruises. Instead, I'm at home sitting in front of my PC. I know the decision to cancel was completely ours.....but it is still very depressing!!!!!  

I can relate. We were scheduled to depart tonight on a 14 day cruise out of Miami ( not a Celebrity cruise) I actually watched the ship sailaway on the Miami Port camera. I'm sad but realize it's just not the right time for us to sail right now. I'm immune compromised and don't know how sick I could get if I contracted Covid. We have a Celebrity cruise scheduled to depart 2/19 on the Equinox. Hoping it's safer to sail then. You made the right decision, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

I can relate. We were scheduled to depart tonight on a 14 day cruise out of Miami ( not a Celebrity cruise) I actually watched the ship sailaway on the Miami Port camera. I'm sad but realize it's just not the right time for us to sail right now. I'm immune compromised and don't know how sick I could get if I contracted Covid. We have a Celebrity cruise scheduled to depart 2/19 on the Equinox. Hoping it's safer to sail then. You made the right decision, too.

Thank you. You also also made the right decision canceling. Hope all goes well for your February sailing.  There has got to be a "go" light at the end of this almost 2 year long tunnel!!

• Like 1

We where on the fence and now on the other side. We've decided to move on and forfeit the deposit (2020 cruise) that was converted to FCC. To many issues with flights, hotels, etc.  In the end the FCC was less that the extra cost of the trip during covid. Happy sailing everyone - we'll see you again sometime :-)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I should not be typing this. I should be in seat 11D on a United flight heading to Fort Lauderdale excited to board the Equinox tomorrow after cancelling 3 previous cruises. Instead, I'm at home sitting in front of my PC. I know the decision to cancel was completely ours.....but it is still very depressing!!!!!  

I think i have gone through various stages of depression the last 2 years.  Ive cancelled or rebooked a dozen cruises.  Things always work out.  You will be cruising again soon.  Several years ago (a liittle more than a several), we had a flight cancelled to Malaga Spain.  We decided to spend a day wearing beachwear and drink umbrella drinks.  Was very theraputic.  Keep up the vibes.  

• Like 2

@Loracpin2 I share your thought and sometime depression and thanks for posting.  We have also cancelled several cruises since the pandemic started.  We were in a positive mood mid 2021 when vaccines were working and we seemed over the hump.  Then Delta.  Followed by Omicron.  So we have multiple tunnels and light in between them.  Waiting to emerge in the full light.  But IMO we should be optimistic that the Omicron surge might actually be a silver lining to the pandemic's demise and should be over by spring.  So positive thoughts!  Cruising will be much better this summer.  We are going in August and plan to be there!  We have decided to avoid cruising now and in the future in the known peak COVID periods (Dec-Mar) as a go-forward strategy.  Try to cheer up - we will all get through this.😀

• Like 2

We’re feeling disappointed and frustrated by the situation. I’m holding off on canceling  February 11 Equinox and switching to March 28. 
Hoping the situation will be better by then. 
We just returned from Anthem and my son developed Covid 2 days later. 
Thankfully he’s fine now.  
Tough decisions!

Edited by kptbylorraine

I guess experience is my teacher.  Have cruised 3X since the start up in July.  No issues on any of them.  That said, they were also “full vaccinated” cruises.  I will not sail on any “vaccination optional” cruise.

I feel more comfortable now, knowing what to expect, than I did at the start up.

Best to all, whatever their decision.

Since April 2020 we have either had a total of seven cruises canceled or we canceled due to safety concerns. Six were canceled by the cruise lines due to the pandemic. It’s sad but staying safe and healthy was more important.

Our next cruise is scheduled for May on the Edge. We’re hoping that it’s a go but will deal with it if not. Everyone has to make a decision on how comfortable they feel traveling/cruising right now. At this time it just doesn’t feel safe for us. That helps in dealing with the disappointment. 

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I guess experience is my teacher.  Have cruised 3X since the start up in July.  No issues on any of them.  That said, they were also “full vaccinated” cruises.  I will not sail on any “vaccination optional” cruise.

I feel more comfortable now, knowing what to expect, than I did at the start up.

Best to all, whatever their decision.

@graphicguy  the situation has changed significantly even for fully vaccinated and boosted.  The investment world states "recent past performance is not indicative of upcoming future results".  A good thing to think about right now for cruising versus the start-up period in July through mid-December.   The risk of an upcoming cruise being disrupted by isolation and quarantine is much higher as of the past two weeks than when you took your 3 cruises- unless you just stepped off a ship.  The risk of getting serious COVID as a vaccinated passenger is the same (very low) so that is positive- perhaps even lower with Delta being replaced by the milder Omicron.  However, the "disruption to vacation" risk will be higher for the cruising folk right now for maybe at least another month forward. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I will not sail on any “vaccination optional” cruise.

Particularly since Omicron, I'm not any safer in a room full of vaccinated (and boosted) individuals than I would be in a room filled with unvaccinated individuals.

The only reason I wouldn't have sailed with unvaxxed was because of the increased protocols and mask wearing. And here we are anyway, so I wouldn't sail at all right now.

To OP, this shall pass. You made the right decision for yourself. 

• Like 1

@TeeRick...appreciate what you're saying.  "recent past performance is not indicative of upcoming future results".  Every company I've ever known makes that same statement, regardless of their industry.  It's a CYA statement.

I do believe the processes and protocols are better since they've had time to be put into real world practice.  It was still a little "we're in uncharted territory" cruises when I sailed this past summer.  I think they've had time to understand, be proactive and reactive today than 6 months ago.

It seem for Celebrity, they're still limiting capacity on their ships.  That's probably a good thing.  

Just read a blurb about NCL and RCCL this a.m. about some pretty disturbing ways they treated COVID passengers.  Maybe my perception, but having sailed both NCL and Celebrity over the past 6 mos, I believe Celebrity was much more in tune with the safety and treatment of their guests.

• Thanks 1