Travel time from port of Seattle to airport

Karter

We are booked on the Ovation of the Seas in July and trying to decide if an 11:30 flight is too early. If it is too early our other options are red eye or stay another day. Does anybody have experience with the port of Seattle and travel times or better options?

Thanks in advance

There are a lot of "what if's" here. It depends what time the ship docks, and if it gets cleared on time. Assuming it does, you might make that flight OK. Again, depending on the airline you are flying with, and where to. RCL does luggage valet for a few airlines, which means they take it straight to the airport and no need to check in at airline desk. You already get your boarding passes on the sip. We flew a little while back from SEA to MCO and it was very easy. Mind you, we had a 1530 flight time which was great. If you get off the ship and get the first port transfer, you could be at the airport by 0930 or so. 

I would say book something later as traffic to airport if during a weekend day could add an hour.

And if ship is late, or if issues with baggage.

They say to really never book flights much before 1pm if you can help it.  On the other hand, stay in the city overnight and take a cab to airport for a morning flight.

Flights from Seattle to east coast tend to be mornings and evenings.

I would feel comfortable with that flight time, especially if you have TSA pre-check, though even without lines usually aren't too bad there. You can also help yourself by leaving the ship self-carry, or by checking through your bags directly to the airport which is a service Royal offers in Seattle for most major airlines. 

edited to add: We were sitting at our gate at 0930 and we weren't even close to first off the ship. Of course, traffic can happen, but we had over 3 hours to kill.

Edited by Jasukkie
additional thought

It took me about 45 minutes from point a-b.   With minimal traffic after an alaska cruise.   
So as long as you get off ship right away.  And can catch an Uber right away and the moons align you should be ok.   But 1 wrench in the system. Your gonna miss your flight.   

Edited by Ptroxx

The two times I flew out of SeaTac the security lines were crazy. And even the pre-check isn't always the greatest - only one checkpoint has precheck. It took a lot of time to walk from where I checked my bag (though hopefully your cruise would have it so you can check your bags through) to the precheck area and then back to the terminal my flight was at . Took a good 30+ minutes just to get from checking my bag to my gate. 

Also - what day is the Ovation sailings? Last year they were on Fridays. You have to go through downtown Seattle to get to the airport so on Friday you'd be dealing with rush hour traffic. When I sailed on a Sunday (NCL) I got off the ship to find out a ton of downtown was blocked for a foot race. Definitely took longer that I expected that day and NCL's port is prob 20 minutes closer to the airport by car. 

You probably will be okay with a 11:30 flight.  There will be two ships at Pier 91 on Fridays, the Ovation which carries about 5K passengers, and the smaller Celebrity Solstice.  When both ships were last in Seattle (2019), the Ovation was allowed to begin disembarking between 6:45 and 7 AM.  They contracted with CBP, Longshore, and shoreside staff to make sure personnel were in place for the earlier debark.  Typically for the Solstice, debark will start after 7 AM, and could be as last as 7:30 if something isn't going to plan.

Strongly recommend that you sign up for the 'self assist' option by carrying your own luggage off the ship.  In this way you will have first access to ground transportation to SeaTac.

The taxi line is directly outside the terminal, and the pick-up for Uber is a shuttle ride, or a 10 minute walk away.  Cruise line bus transfers are also just outside the terminal building.

SeaTac also has an App that you should be able to use to "hold your space" in a timed entry TSA security screening line.  You should download it before your cruise.