Off Ship Tours!

beachtrl

We are currently schedule to cruise on the Star Legend in June, 2022 (Baltic Delights). Still not sure whether to go or not but have some time to decide. Anyway was wondering if anyone might know what the status is on booking your own off ship tours, whether it is allowed or are you locked into using Windstar's only. Typically we always arrange our own tours and only on a rare occasion use Windstar's. Thanks!  

3 minutes ago, beachtrl said:

We are currently schedule to cruise on the Star Legend in June, 2022 (Baltic Delights). Still not sure whether to go or not but have some time to decide. Anyway was wondering if anyone might know what the status is on booking your own off ship tours, whether it is allowed or are you locked into using Windstar's only. Typically we always arrange our own tours and only on a rare occasion use Windstar's. Thanks!  

Keep checking the Windstar website (https://www.windstarcruises.com/health-safety/overview/) - click on the specific link for shore excursions.

Note: Local authorities have been known to change the rules on the fly.  They can say "Ok for independent exploration unless there's Covid on board." They can add last minute testing requirements that make it impossible to comply.

Things will likely change many times between now and June.

image.png.f8ea90cc76f42d1ee0d1f38e4b41fd0d.png

18 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If you need a covid test onboard to enter a country, Windstar will do them onboard and charge you $69. For a port intensive cruise this could get very expensive.

They do cap it at a maximum of $250 per cruise ($199 on star collector voyages) regardless of how many tests are required for the itinerary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If you need a covid test onboard to enter a country, Windstar will do them onboard and charge you $69. For a port intensive cruise this could get very expensive.

They are capping the charge at $249 pp ($199 per segment for Cruise Collectors and b2b sailings) so not that expensive. 

9 hours ago, Barrycat said:

Susisan

Same demographic maybe, same preference not really ? When did Oceania add sailboats?

I know that many Windstar regulars also sail on Oceania ships, as I do. I wish O would add sailing ships.

Itinerary, price and COVID comfort level.

If I can get those pieces right, even if it were $2k for COVID testing, I'd still choose the $2k COVID testing. And take the cruise. And make plans for the initial Long Island ice tea.

• Like 2

There won’t be any more sailing ships built, at least from what I’ve been told. They are just too expensive. We have been and will be on Windstar, especially the Windsurf, as much as we can be. We have no interest in Oceania.

I agree, our favorite ship is the Surf, love the Star and  Spirit well. We have been once on a motor yacht, The Breeze, but seriously our hearts are in the sails. I wish WS had bought that new clipper ship Golden Horizon. We feel grateful that we have had such enjoyment on our 26 WS cruises, mostly on the Surf. Happy Sailing