New Beef with NCL and my canceled cruise

dad son team

I was due to sail on the Pearl 1/14 and that was one of the sailing that was one of the sailings that they canceled.  I received an email stating that everything would be refunded, plus we would get a 10% off coupon to use for another cruise.   

When I booked this cruise, I used a combination of FCC, Cruise Next, and credit card.  I gave it a few days, and received another email confirming that my reservation was cancelled and that my CN cert was reissued, and my credit card was refunded (haven't seen the money but I expect that will take a few weeks) but nothing about my FCC.  I checked my account online and see the CN there and the 10% off coupon.  I never saw the FCC since it was issued so didn't think much about it, but thought I would call to confirm that it was in fact on the account.  The agent didn't see it at first in my recently cancelled reservation, but looked into the history and saw that a 'coupon" was used for $424.50, which was the amount of the FCC.  She said it wasn't available because it expired 12/31/2021.  I told her that was unacceptable since I used it in accordance with the rules and since I didn't cancel my reservation I should be given another chance to use it.  She referred my to a link on the website to file a more formal complaint in writing which I just did.

Anyone have any other suggestions should they come back and deny it?

I understand that it was due to expire, but I did in fact use it and I just don't think that it's fair.  At least give me another 6 months or something

Thanks for letting me gripe about this

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

The Norwegian sychophants on this forum may tell you otherwise.

Probably true, but then the Norwegian fault-finders here will certainly take a stand against NCL without question, so it all evens out in the end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am scheduled to go on Jan. 29. I would consider canceling but I would loose the 25% and 10% discount coupons from two earlier cancelled cruises since the dates to use those have expired. If I was really concerned about omigron it wouldn't matter what I lose, I would cancel, but I'm triple vaxed and at this point am planning to go. Trying to book what I currently have without those discounts would be no where near what I originally paid way back when.

It was my understanding that the FCCs with expired dates would be returned with new dates to be used and sailed by the the end of the year.

Extension of Previously Issued Future Cruise Credits

To further support our guests, we have extended the "book by" date for previously issued FCCs. Any current and active Future Cruise Credits, CruiseNext certificates and CruiseFirst certificates originally set to expire in 2021 have been extended. The "book by" date for these credits and certificates is now December 31, 2022. Note all certificates will retain their Sail By dates, which is for sailings departing on or before December 31, 2022.

For example: FCCs issued in July 2020 had a book by date of July 2021. The new "book by" date is December 31, 2022.

Active coupon classes that have been extended include:

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • Suspension Payment FCCs
  • Discount FCCs from previous suspensions
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • All FCCs created as a result of ship incidents and goodwill gestures
  • Displacements
Edited by n4w
  • Like 2

i've been both a sycophant and a fault finder at times. (also, a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king, but that's another story.) i call 'em as i see 'em. NCL screws up, they deserve to be called out. NCL excels, give them a cookie.

NCL made a mistake here in the midst of chaos.

i'm not kreskin, but this will likely end with the certificates being properly reissued with new expiry dates.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 4

I had a 10% coupon on my cancelled cruise and it expires before I can use it for the replacement cruise, same time next year.  Plus it's unlikely I'll get another one (2 cruises cancelled this round).  So replacement cruise will end up costing me nearly 20% more.  And this cruise was a replacement for the 2021 cruise, also at a 20% increase.

21 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Hey...look what I found in the pudding. 🙄

Yes. Someone who went through it with NCL. It is awesome how flip you can be without any understanding of the circumstances. NCL has held OUR money for two years. Did I mention it was OUR money. Then set a deadline by which we have to spend OUR money. And regardless of the circumstances of the cruise they are offering are offering no recompense.

That is not being a fault finder. Those are indisputable facts. And are aside from any fine print argument hardly disputable.

• Like 2

You'll find that I can be as flip as you are...considering you know nothing of my circumstances, right?

Did NCL hold your money, or did you choose to allow that to happen in return for FCC? You can sit there and have a public tantrum, but if you want to talk facts, talk about the decision that YOU made, and accept responsibility for that decision. You decided to take a risk and now you want to put that blame anywhere you can because it didn't work out in the way most favorable to you.

Besides, there is no disute, I said up front that the fault finders will blame NCL without any consideration for the facts...facts like this thread isn't about YOU and YOUR decision, it is about the OP's question. But you be you. Thanks again for confirming my initial observation and adding it to the list of facts.

• Like 1

We did not make a choice to take it as an FCC. That was not what we chose to do. That is what happened. 

I suggest you reread what happened with the OP. Or perhaps listen to what happened to us. We NEVER opted to take an FCC it was what was done. Without our approval.

• Like 1

As someone who was on one of those spring 2020 cancelled cruises and got a refund, I can tell you that NCL did not make it easy. They made FCC the default option, they buried the refund request form and made it hard to find. They did not send any confirmation of receipt of the refund request form, They were not able to provide any status update on the refund for 3 months. The PCC called several times, assumptively asking about using our FCC to book another cruise, not at all acknowledging the fact that we had requested a refund. 

Anyone blaming people for taking FCC should understand that NCL did everything possible, even some sneaky things,  to try to get people to take the FCC. I didn’t fall for it, but I can see why some people did, especially with the 125% FCC. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Did NCL hold your money, or did you choose to allow that to happen in return for FCC? You can sit there and have a public tantrum, but if you want to talk facts, talk about the decision that YOU made, and accept responsibility for that decision. You decided to take a risk and now you want to put that blame anywhere you can because it didn't work out in the way most favorable to you.

This is gonna hurt....  I AGREE with @SeaShark  Will I hate myself in the morning?

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Or did they get FCC because they cancelled their cruise. I believe NCL opted to offer FCC to those who cancelled instead of applying the 100% penalty that was in effect at the time.  Now there are claims that NCL owes them a refund on the FCC they got in lieu of nothing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vswan said:

I am scheduled to go on Jan. 29. I would consider canceling but I would loose the 25% and 10% discount coupons from two earlier cancelled cruises since the dates to use those have expired. If I was really concerned about omigron it wouldn't matter what I lose, I would cancel, but I'm triple vaxed and at this point am planning to go. Trying to book what I currently have without those discounts would be no where near what I originally paid way back when.

I don't think the FCC is either loose or tight.

7 hours ago, dad son team said:

I was due to sail on the Pearl 1/14 and that was one of the sailing that was one of the sailings that they canceled.  I received an email stating that everything would be refunded, plus we would get a 10% off coupon to use for another cruise.   

When I booked this cruise, I used a combination of FCC, Cruise Next, and credit card.  I gave it a few days, and received another email confirming that my reservation was cancelled and that my CN cert was reissued, and my credit card was refunded (haven't seen the money but I expect that will take a few weeks) but nothing about my FCC.  I checked my account online and see the CN there and the 10% off coupon.  I never saw the FCC since it was issued so didn't think much about it, but thought I would call to confirm that it was in fact on the account.  The agent didn't see it at first in my recently cancelled reservation, but looked into the history and saw that a 'coupon" was used for $424.50, which was the amount of the FCC.  She said it wasn't available because it expired 12/31/2021.  I told her that was unacceptable since I used it in accordance with the rules and since I didn't cancel my reservation I should be given another chance to use it.  She referred my to a link on the website to file a more formal complaint in writing which I just did.

Anyone have any other suggestions should they come back and deny it?

I understand that it was due to expire, but I did in fact use it and I just don't think that it's fair.  At least give me another 6 months or something

Thanks for letting me gripe about this

"For affected reservations paid via a previously issued Future Cruise Credit (FCC), the full value of the FCC used will be re-applied to the guest's Latitudes account within 7 days of the suspension. This is done automatically, and no further action is required on the guest's or travel advisor's part. The FCC will be given a new expiration and applicability date. The FCCs will now be valid from 1/7/2022 and will expire on 1/7/2023. The FCC can be used to book available sailings through 5/31/2023"

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

i've been both a sycophant and a fault finder at times. (also, a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king, but that's another story.) i call 'em as i see 'em. NCL screws up, they deserve to be called out. NCL excels, give them a cookie.

NCL made a mistake here in the midst of chaos.

i'm not kreskin, but this will likely end with the certificates being properly reissued with new expiry dates.

More like the OP did not read the NCL page where this is all resolved...

https://www.ncl.com/travel-advisory -> Guest Compensation for suspended Voyages.  Another example of someone going off without doing even the slightest amount of research.

2 hours ago, raschueller said:

We did not make a choice to take it as an FCC. That was not what we chose to do. That is what happened. 

I suggest you reread what happened with the OP. Or perhaps listen to what happened to us. We NEVER opted to take an FCC it was what was done. Without our approval.

Actually you did opt for it by not complying with the requirements for getting a  cash refund.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, thepla said:

They played games with me. I sent notice to them I am filling in small claims court.   They do not follow their own printed rules ....

It's been a really long time since I read the terms, and I may not have read Norwegian's all that closely, but don't they have an arbitration provision in their terms?

5 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

As someone who was on one of those spring 2020 cancelled cruises and got a refund, I can tell you that NCL did not make it easy. They made FCC the default option, they buried the refund request form and made it hard to find. They did not send any confirmation of receipt of the refund request form, They were not able to provide any status update on the refund for 3 months. The PCC called several times, assumptively asking about using our FCC to book another cruise, not at all acknowledging the fact that we had requested a refund. 

Anyone blaming people for taking FCC should understand that NCL did everything possible, even some sneaky things,  to try to get people to take the FCC. I didn’t fall for it, but I can see why some people did, especially with the 125% FCC. 

We had our March 2020 sailing cancelled a few days before we were due to sail. It took over 5 months of fighting to get our £5K back as cash. I didn't want FCC as we had other cruises with another cruise line scheduled. 

NCL certainly didn't make it easy!