Cruising in the Time of Covid:  Explorer January 19 – February 4, 2022, San Diego to Miami

forgap

Phase one:  flight fo m ATL to SD  

Phase two:  visit with family and PCR Covid test at CVS  

Phase three:  rental car return and Check into San Diego hotel

We had a lovely three days in Encinitas.  Today we drove up the coast to San Clemente to meet up with more family then a fast and furious drive back down to San Diego.  Our driving was not fast and furious but, Lordy, Sunday must be the designated day to get out the shiny race car with an enhanced muffler and drag race on Interstate 5.  Nerves jangled, we got to San Diego in one piece, gratefully returned the rental car, and got to the  Residence Inn which is directly across the street from the cruise terminal.  

FBB71486-3868-4CBF-A8BD-0C819BF85571.thumb.jpeg.a9574ce3214c04bcc17433ec166291bc.jpeg

A Holland American ship is presently docked and we have a decent view from our hotel window.  This hotel is modern and clean - not posh- but very pleasant and they have a lovely open air lounge outside at about mid level.  This fronts the harbor and it is a perfect spot for a sunset glass of wine. the pic is upside down on CC only.   Have no idea why!   We are now are two days before embarkation!

CAC04B32-5CE0-4B80-94CA-97A99D640B93.thumb.jpeg.218c71335d78be4caa3449b9f59ca93e.jpeg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, forgap said:

Phase one:  flight fo m ATL to SD  

Phase two:  visit with family and PCR Covid test at CVS  

Phase three:  rental car return and Check into San Diego hotel

We had a lovely three days in Encinitas.  Today we drove up the coast to San Clemente to meet up with more family then a fast and furious drive back down to San Diego.  Our driving was not fast and furious but, Lordy, Sunday must be the designated day to get out the shiny race car with an enhanced muffler and drag race on Interstate 5.  Nerves jangled, we got to San Diego in one piece, gratefully returned the rental car, and got to the  Residence Inn which is directly across the street from the cruise terminal.  

FBB71486-3868-4CBF-A8BD-0C819BF85571.thumb.jpeg.a9574ce3214c04bcc17433ec166291bc.jpeg

A Holland American ship is presently docked and we have a decent view from our hotel window.  This hotel is modern and clean - not posh- but very pleasant and they have a lovely open air lounge outside at about mid level.  This fronts the harbor and it is a perfect spot for a sunset glass of wine. the pic is upside down on CC only.   Have no idea why!   We are now are two days before embarkation!

CAC04B32-5CE0-4B80-94CA-97A99D640B93.thumb.jpeg.218c71335d78be4caa3449b9f59ca93e.jpeg

Have a fun, safe and healthy cruise. We will be following  your posts carefully since we are booked for the cruise starting right after yours ends on February 4.

We are one day away from boarding the Explorer and our excitement is palpable!  

We toured the Midway today which was more interesting than I expected it to be.  I was a Navy brat and lived in Japan for four years in the sixties and the Midway was a frequent visitor.  
D47F45F4-7C0C-44FD-9ED1-131FFCC2C596.thumb.jpeg.5b65d4226276e81d830bee1eb8e48856.jpeg

Touring the Midway was like visiting the iconography of my youth.  Even the smells were familiar!  The docents throughout the ship make the self guided tour even more special.   
I also got to pretend to be a fighter pilot!  (The little kids were mean mugging me to hurry through my turn!)

D6F1762B-B19E-46A8-976B-26149EAA2905.thumb.jpeg.925af75c5f8a6df550f9762462829979.jpeg

Lunch was at The Fish Market nearby and dinner was a short walk from the hotel, the Brigantine.  I had sand dabs which I haven’t had in years.  Most restaurants have open air seating with effective heaters so we aren’t fearful of breathing in rogue Covid germs.  

This was our view.

CC70C94C-FAF6-423B-AC59-E126EE79FCEE.thumb.jpeg.d19a75e1e171606aae56b022bac72a99.jpeg

Our hotel (The Residence Inn) is across the street from the cruise terminal so we plan to walk over tomorrow.  Excited!  

• Like 8

In less than 24 hours we will be on board, sipping champagne, and mesmerized by the extravagance of the Explorer.  We both received the results of our PCR test that we took last Sunday - NEGATIVE!   I have to admit I was nervous. I can't imagine that we would test positive on the pier side antigen test, but, at least I have backup paperwork now.  

We spent a very relaxing day today at Balboa Park.  What a beautiful site in the center of the city!  

IMG_3749.thumb.jpeg.47dda50f8dc4b14f9d68adda77d674dd.jpeg

There is vast green space, museums, an artist village, and various formal gardens.  We spent most of our time in the Japanese Garden which was serene and lovely.

IMG_3748.thumb.jpeg.a5ceb008af7e3c2a6565f811235c41ef.jpegIMG_3723.thumb.jpeg.41228fb7109fe8246a5848832a17233c.jpegIMG_3752.thumb.jpeg.c9d0e257f0ac4cea8774db085e9fa8d3.jpeg

Lunch was at the Prado restaurant, on the patio, overlooking a courtyard and the vista beyond.   

Tonight we pack up and try to contain our excitement to finally travel after more than two years of being homebodies.  See you tomorrow on the Explorer!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, forgap said:

We both received the results of our PCR test that we took last Sunday - NEGATIVE!   I have to admit I was nervous. I can't imagine that we would test positive on the pier side antigen test, but, at least I have backup paperwork now. 

I was under the impression that, for the unlikely event where a refund is required, Regent "requires" the paperwork to be within 48-hours...am I mistaken? Would a test from Sunday suffice?

13 minutes ago, rloke said:

I was under the impression that, for the unlikely event where a refund is required, Regent "requires" the paperwork to be within 48-hours...am I mistaken? Would a test from Sunday suffice?

It got very confusing.  The guidance for those originating travel in the US was all over the place.  I read 48 hours and 72 hours and it was entirely voluntary.   We had to test on the Sunday as that was when we had the rental cars and the only testing sites I found were drive thru's.   Also, Monday was a national holiday (MLK day) and I didn't want to take the chance of no results by boarding.  As it was, the results arrive yesterday afternoon, more than 48 hours after the test.  

Just now, forgap said:

It got very confusing.  The guidance for those originating travel in the US was all over the place.  I read 48 hours and 72 hours and it was entirely voluntary.   We had to test on the Sunday as that was when we had the rental cars and the only testing sites I found were drive thru's.   Also, Monday was a national holiday (MLK day) and I didn't want to take the chance of no results by boarding.  As it was, the results arrive yesterday afternoon, more than 48 hours after the test.  

So looks like the latest blurb in the SailSafe page is quite vague now...

"Regent strongly encourages all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test at home, 3 to 4 days prior to traveling to the ship, as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 Antigen test at home, prior to travel"

3-4 days would definitely cover your case...have fun on your cruise!

16 minutes ago, rloke said:

So looks like the latest blurb in the SailSafe page is quite vague now...

"Regent strongly encourages all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test at home, 3 to 4 days prior to traveling to the ship, as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 Antigen test at home, prior to travel"

3-4 days would definitely cover your case...have fun on your cruise!

The devil is in the details. While pre cruise testing for US travelers is "voluntary", should you test positive at the pier and not have proof of a negative test within the previous 72 hours (for US travelers), none of your expenses nor cruise cancellation will be covered by Regent. 

Can't wait for the next few hours to go by so we can test negative at the pier and board!!  I hate I am so nervous about it and since we have been hermits except for getting here, with two negative tests in the past 6 days, it seems very unlikely to be positive. But until we get that last go ahead....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoNavyFamily said:

The devil is in the details. While pre cruise testing for US travelers is "voluntary", should you test positive at the pier and not have proof of a negative test within the previous 72 hours (for US travelers), none of your expenses nor cruise cancellation will be covered by Regent. 

Can't wait for the next few hours to go by so we can test negative at the pier and board!!  I hate I am so nervous about it and since we have been hermits except for getting here, with two negative tests in the past 6 days, it seems very unlikely to be positive. But until we get that last go ahead....

Fingers and toes crossed. Happy cruising!

Hope you all have a great cruise!  I was suppose to be on this cruise but was afraid of testing positive for Covid.  I just couldn't imagine having to quarantine all by myself for a week or more.  Not my idea of fun.  I'll be following you all, though, so post early and often.🙂     Marcia

An account of what happens when you get to the terminal...

We arrived earlier than our assigned time, dropped off our bags, and stood inside in the pre-test line where there were were 9 couples ahead of us. We had preregistered with Eurofin per the email received a few days ago. It took only 10 minutes for our turn where we were given a card for our COVID test. We were then directed to the area to be tested which took only a few minutes. Then we went to the area to wait for our results, which has ample seating. A projection on the wall shows the last four numbers on the testing card they gave you when your results are ready, and they also text you. My husband got his results very promptly but mine took several minutes more...I was SO nervous!!  But then I got the text, YAY!!!  Also met my co-blogger on this thread, who was sitting right behind us.  I'm afraid I wasn't my normal self because I was so nervous that I had not yet received my results. Jennifer, we will talk more on board! Next step was answering a few questions and we were then directed to a short line for the final pre cruise requirement, where we received a red paper bracelet indicating we are covid negative. 

We are currently waiting in the ship check in area and were given a card with our boarding group number and we can get in line to check in when that number is called. We are group #7 and they are on #3 now. So I assume we will be sitting here a bit but I DON'T CARE!!  We passed out tests and will soon be onboard!

I'll post more later on my first impressions of Regent. Let the vacation begin!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We are aboard! The ship check in was slower than expected and took about an hour. Once aboard, we first went to the dinner reservation desk and added a few more specialty restaurant reservations  then a quick check in at our muster station and straight to our cabin to drop off carry on bag. We are enjoying a light lunch at the pool grill as we have dinner reservations at Prime 7 in just under 5 hours.

PXL_20220119_215258242.jpg

• Like 12

Fran described our boarding very well so I won't repeat.  I think all together it took about  two hours from drop off to lunch in La Veranda.   My father would have described it as the stations of the cross as you went from one venue to the next...gold sticker here, red wrist band there.  The longest process was the actual Regent check in as you had to hand over our documents for Columbia and write down our vaccination details.  (yes, it appears as if we are doing more than a technical stop there)

The ship itself is very elegant.  We are in a concierge suite.  The difference that I can discern from the other Regent ships is that the rooms are wider but shorter so, for me, they seem a bit smaller even though I know they are not in terms of square footage.  The deck is huge, though.   

We are going to Pacific Rim tonight.  It was very easy to get an extra reservation as the ship does not seem full at all.  

Such a relief to be on board!

• Like 9