Medically-Supervised COVID Test

jlnprt

Dh and I just did our at-home, medically-supervised covid test. I can't believe how easy it was! We signed up for separate appointments but were able to have our  appointments at the same time (same computer, same zoom session). I had only ordered two tests, so I was a little concerned that we would mess something up and be "up a creek" but the test is pretty much idiot-proof. Oh, and the best part? We're both negative and ready for travel!!! Woo hoo!!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, jlnprt said:

Dh and I just did our at-home, medically-supervised covid test. I can't believe how easy it was! We signed up for separate appointments but were able to have our  appointments at the same time (same computer, same zoom session). I had only ordered two tests, so I was a little concerned that we would mess something up and be "up a creek" but the test is pretty much idiot-proof. Oh, and the best part? We're both negative and ready for travel!!! Woo hoo!!

Good for you. Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Congratulations on your negative test!  Where did you order the test?  What company did you use to medically supervise your test?

We ordered from Inspired Diagnostics following a link on the HAL website. They sent an e-mail confirmation with instructions on how to sign up for an appointment. Then they sent a link to a zoom session. Our "proctor" gave great instructions and stayed in the zoom room until he confirmed that we had received our test results e-mail. Could not have gone more smoothly! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jlnprt said:

Was this through emed.com?   I thought you had to log into your account then you would go into a queue to have a person proctor your test so that would require each of you to log into your account.

We made separate appointments because we figured they would have to do one test at a time. When I logged on, the proctor asked if there were any other family members who were testing today. I told him that my dh had an appointment in 20 minutes. He pulled up dh's information and said we could take the tests at the same time if we wanted. Dh just pulled up a chair and joined the zoom meeting on my computer. 

We have used the Abbott Binax now home test from eMed twice and will be using them at the end of the month.  I ordered more Jan. 3 and they were delivered the morning of Jan. 5.  Getting easier each time we use the tests!

32 minutes ago, jlnprt said:

We made separate appointments because we figured they would have to do one test at a time. When I logged on, the proctor asked if there were any other family members who were testing today. I told him that my dh had an appointment in 20 minutes. He pulled up dh's information and said we could take the tests at the same time if we wanted. Dh just pulled up a chair and joined the zoom meeting on my computer. 

How did you make an appointment?   I don't see that capability on emed.com site.  It just asks if I want to order or start testing. TIA

Probably the dumbest question of the year but do I have to have Zoom installed on my laptop?  I've got 2 of Abbott BinaxNOW tests from Optum and will need to take one in March for my 3/16 cruise.  Although I've go a camera on my PC I've never used it or Zoom.  Somebody please make me just a tad bit smarter!  thanks 

1 hour ago, regnig said:

Probably the dumbest question of the year but do I have to have Zoom installed on my laptop?  I've got 2 of Abbott BinaxNOW tests from Optum and will need to take one in March for my 3/16 cruise.  Although I've go a camera on my PC I've never used it or Zoom.  Somebody please make me just a tad bit smarter!  thanks 

You can sign up for a free zoom account.  When we made our appointment, they sent a link to a "zoom room." Not sure if you even need to have an account, but if you do, it's a simple sign up process.

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

How did you make an appointment?   I don't see that capability on emed.com site.  It just asks if I want to order or start testing. TIA

We got an e-mail confirming our tests were being mailed. In that e-mail was a link to set up an account and then an appointment. 

1 minute ago, jlnprt said:

We got an e-mail confirming our tests were being mailed. In that e-mail was a link to set up an account and then an appointment. 

Did you order yours through emed or Optum?  Sorry for all the questions.

2 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Did you order yours through emed or Optum?  Sorry for all the questions.

Optum. I can't remember how long it took the tests to be delivered, but it was before the estimated date they gave us. 

1 hour ago, regnig said:

No, all you need to use the Abbott BinaxNow test is a camera and sound.  You don't need Zoom.  You need the Navica app before you take the test.  When you click on "I have a test " you are connected and they tell you where you are in line..I have gotten a proctor almost immediately.  After I finished my husband logged in and did his test. There are you tube videos on line, and I think Abbott has one at their web site.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Loreto said:

We have used the Abbott Binax now home test from eMed twice and will be using them at the end of the month.  I ordered more Jan. 3 and they were delivered the morning of Jan. 5.  Getting easier each time we use the tests!

Can anyone tell me what the expiration date is on the tests that are shipping now? We are scheduled for Rotterdam on April 3. I want to order the tests in advance but want to make sure they won't expire before we need them.

2 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Can anyone tell me what the expiration date is on the tests that are shipping now? We are scheduled for Rotterdam on April 3. I want to order the tests in advance but want to make sure they won't expire before we need them.

We ordered ours on Dec 22, 2021 and they expire Nov 2022 so should be good for your trip

• Thanks 1

Has anyone done there proctored test late at night or very early in the morning? Wondering how many test proctors are available in the wee EST hours?    We would like to do our test at 12:01am EST on a Monday before our 10am flight so that the test results will be OK for our Wednesday cruise.  Since it is 2 days and not 24 hours this will work if we can get the proctored test in the very early morning.

For the emed.com Abbott tests they can be done 24/7.  We've done 3 tests, and I would guess the proctors are in India. We have always done them between 8-9:30am PST.  For our 12/31/21 test there was a 45 minute wait.  The others were very short waits.

I ordered 6 more tests in December, and they all expire in November, 2022.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Has anyone done there proctored test late at night or very early in the morning? Wondering how many test proctors are available in the wee EST hours?    We would like to do our test at 12:01am EST on a Monday before our 10am flight so that the test results will be OK for our Wednesday cruise.  Since it is 2 days and not 24 hours this will work if we can get the proctored test in the very early morning.

We took ours this morning around 2am, didn’t have to wait longer than a minute.

Edited by what-a-life

I tested at 5:30 AM and got a proctor almost immediately.  I prefer the male proctors, easier to understand.  They are probably from India.  The box of 6 I ordered last week had a Nov, 21, 2022 expiration date.  If there is still a 3 month extension, they would be good until Feb 21, 2023.  I would have to ask eMed about that.

I printed out the eMed receipt and sent it to my HMO Kaiser, filling out their reimbursement form and received a check from them for the full amount, even shipping.

• Thanks 2