Cunard QM2 14th Jan to 11th Feb 2022

Matelot70

5 hours ago, sogne said:

DP I suspect  depths in Brigetown probably accurate.  In my 25 years SAR came across several GPS mishaps usually not updated or wrong scale 

I can remember teaching yachting students about not doing simple checks of electronics navigation by using traditional techniques. Memory fails me but I am sure there was a case of a small cruise liner on a heading that equipment showed to be the course they wanted but in fact the course was increasingly incorrect. After something like 20/30 hours they hit something . The USCG did a very scathing report about not cross checking for that length of time. Perhaps you may recall it.

Edited by Matelot70

6 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

I can remember teaching yachting students about not doing simple checks of electronics navigation by using traditional techniques. Memory fails me but I am sure there was a case of a small cruise liner on a heading that equipment showed to be the course they wanted but in fact the course was increasingly incorrect. After something like 20/30 hours they hit something . The USCG did a very scathing report about not cross checking for that length of time. Perhaps you may recall it.

I believe you are referring to the grounding of the 568 foot Royal Majesty off of Nantucket Island, USA. This happened in 1995. The ship had an autopilot that used GPS data for course. The problem occurred when the GPS antenna cable came loose... The GPS receiver switched to dead reckoning mode. The problem was the autopilot programmers *assumed* that if the GPS had bad data it would send null values... So the autopilot followed the DR heading almost all the way from Bermuda... The watch standers never noticed the discrepancy between the GPS position, and the LORAN-C system (an older land base radio nav. system. To confound things, when they got close to land they misidentified the buoys they were passing. Then ended up 15 miles off course when they grounded.

Aloha,

John

I’ve just read the fascinating article/book excerpt that comes up when you Google ‘Royal Majesty Grounding’ - thank you for identifying it. A compounded sequence of smaller errors and unchecked  assumptions. Terrifying, and enlightening.

A fascinating subject for an Insights lecture, I feel, although perhaps not an appropriate topic for the location. Passengers might start peering out of windows suspiciously…

I see QM2 departed Road Town, Tortola about 1.5 hours ago. She's now on her way to Tenerife, scheduled to arrive on February 7th after six full sea days. That's the same as a typical crossing between New York and Southampton.

Not sure if Cunard sees it the same way, but as we've discussed elsewhere, this counts as the start of an eastbound crossing for QM2 in my book. We may find out shortly since by my count, QM2's next crossing departing Southampton on February 15th will be here 350th crossing. I'll be interested to see if any mention is made of that milestone during that next crossing.

• Like 1

So after 7 days and a bit at sea the chance to have 7 days ashore. Common to all ports is the requirement to carry proof of vaccination ashore. In a couple of ports proof of photo ID was also required. Now some notes that I hope will give an idea of the constraints around shore visits at the present time. We chose tours before we departed with a view to making things easier.

Because of early starts we had breakfast on the balcony each day at 0630 or 0700 which with the tropical warmth was actually a real treat-. Barbados required PCR to be allowed to go independently. Otherwise it was ships tours or the unknown quantity of some officially recognised tours available at the port gates. For the first day we chose a tour to the centre of the island finished by a spell on the beach. We had a refreshment stop at spot with tropical gardens with humming birds flying around. Unfortunately we could not walk around the gardens because of local Covid protocols. Coincidentally the beach was by Champers restaurant where we had lunch 2 years ago on another cruise just before life stopped being normal. Very pleasant day although some liquid sunshine tried to spoil it. Managed to get the last 12 cans of tonic water in the terminal shops on the way back. Marvelled at the organised chaos alongside the ship as lorries, fork lift trucks, shuttle buses and peoplwere e fighting for space. The replenishment went on until well into the evening. A notable feature of the day was that virtually everyone ashore were wearing masks and that we could hardly walk 200 yards, enter a shop or bus, pass a barrier witho our hands being sprayed with what was said to be alcohol. People with spray bottles and used them profusely and were quicker on the draw with them than Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti western days. It was common to all ports and I must have been sprayed with more alcohol this week than years ago at student parties. One taxi driver also told us they had Covid tests before ships arrived so they seemed to be taking serious precautions. All buses and shops enforced mask wearing. These practices were a common thread on all the islands visited.

The second day consisted of a catamaran trip to snorkel with the turtles and tropical fish over a wrec, ray skimmed the bottom seemingly following us around. Then northwards up the coast while we had lunch and another swimming stop. We could see clusters of showers over the sea but managed to dodge most of them. As we returned we could see the shower cloud over the ships which was probably the one referred to earlier in the thread that interrupted the cricket. Here is a clearer view from our catamaran of the 2 Cunard ships in Barbados harbour.

Next day was the alternative port or Grenada. Similar restrictions to Barbados applied and we were told by the tour office they had not been allowed to organise tours to Hotel resorts or beaches. So we chose a tour of the island with a creole lunch at the Belmont Estate and a visit to some waterfalls. As it was a very wet day it was a good choice although probably not one we would normally make. A number of visits to chocolate plantations were not possible because of Covid restrictions. Quite a long exhausting full day

Next day was Dominica and a beach break. It was dark volcanic sand beach but there was some good snorkelling off the beach but the weather was threatening. We returned to the ship at lunchtime and after a swim in the Deck12 pool while the rain lashed down we had room service on the balcony with the weather clearing. Then a rest before dinner. Dominica had the tightest security arrangements. Only official tours were allowed and the port was guarded by port police.

Port stop number 4 was St Kitts and the first that allowed independent travel but with the same protocols about masks and hand spraying. It was also the first day that was the beautiful tropical weather for which we had hoped. We still opted for the Cunard St Kitts Railway which proved to be highly entertaining. It consisted of a catamaran trip up the west coast with the usual refreshments to a spot where we transferred to the St Kitts Tourist Railway. For those who don’t know it is and old sugar cain narrow gauge line that covers 18 miles back to near the harbour. The narrow gauge is very narrow and they have had built 5 double decker coaches with a lower deck air conditioned cabin and an upper deck covered open air area. They are pulled at 10mph and their height coupled with the narrow gauge led to a rock and roll swaying and motion along the whole route that defied gravity. The girls serving refreshments performed miracles of balance but the scenery through the old sugar plantation and along the Atlantic cost was beautiful. The locals waved enthusiastically and seemed very proud of their relatively new tourist attraction which we were told was part of their move from sugar to tourism as an economy. It may be touristy but it was a  fun way to see the island and we got a much better impression of St Kitts than at the beach near Nevis Island that we went to last time. After calling back at the ship we decided to make use of our first freedom port and went for a wander but most of the hops were the usual Diamond International type chains. On the way back we were asked for our photo ID by the port police this time. Off to dinner as usual to find an excellent Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding on the menu, ambrosia to a native born Yorkshire man. It made me think of Sundays as a child where the Yorkshire Pudding was served as a first course to dent the appetite and make sure we didn’t want too much of the more expensive items like meat.

Next was St Martin which we rushed to as described earlier. The MSC Seaview joined us in port early morning but we realised it was strangely quiet and dark and obviously had no passengers. Our chosen trip was a snorkelling trip and beach call on a catamaran.  The snorkelling stop of 45 minutes was great and there were some beautiful fish around the wreck of a helicopter dumped on the seabed by a hurricane and a miniature submarine that I understood had fallen off a luxury yacht. The usual refreshments were available after snorkelling as we headed for the beaches near the airport. We realised that one of these was the infamous beach where people think it fun to play with jumbo jets as the runway begins where the beach ends. Google St Martin airport if you haven’t seen them. We anchored near a beautiful beach and swam ashore for a pleasant stroll. Coming back we stopped under the airport flightpath but only one of the many small jets was landing. Apparently the larger jets that cause the spectacle arrive in the afternoon.

On the way back we passed Jeff Bezo’s yacht complete with helicopter (amazing what you can get via Amazon) and Eclipse, the yacht of Roman Abramovitch of Chelsea fame. As we departed we left MSC Seaview with none of the customary souding of signals to each other and I felt sad for ships in this position. Back in our cabin we realised we had done too much and hadn’t the energy to eat in the restaurant so our evening meal was sent up.

For those of you who have got this far you may have noticed the irony of me stepping off a big ship to go on small ships as much as we could and swim in the sea. Well the blame lies is our final stop Tortola in the BVI. It was the place that I chartered a yacht in the tropics 21 years ago and where I first discovered the joys of tropical sailing and swimming and snorkelling in seas that are warmer than the air temperature. So we went on a trip to Jost van Dyke an island that we didn’t get to because it is outside the more sheltered Sir Francis Drake channel. Unfortunately the weather was showery, the beach chosen not that attractive and the sea was too rough to swim. We were not unhappy to return to the ship. After all these early starts and exertions which are rather more taxing than once upon a time we need a holiday, fortunately we can look forward to luxurious 10 day cruise to the UK with only one distracting shore stop.

January 31/1 February

Arriving in Tortola we moored alongside one of the imaginatively named TUI fleet Mein Schiff1. At least this ship became the second one that we have seen in with passengers as opposed to the six or so we have seen laid up and not in use. After the day described above we had a noisy farewell with Mein Schiff leaving first and conducting a signals battle and it was a pleasure to see all the waves of passengers enjoying a send off. The first occasion this trip and just like old times apart from all the masks to be seen. The Captain gave us the good news that calm seas and fair weather is expected and we will be sailing a great circle route to arrive at Tenerife for 0800 Monday. We have around 2800 miles to cover. After our afternoon rest we felt recovered enough to have an early dinner and go to the early show. There was a change of show because the 2 Cellists due to perform could not because the airline bringing them had lost one of the Cellos. A mentalist was a replacement and it was a very enjoyable if mystifying performance.

Next day we had the pleasure of waking up at leisure to a beautiful day and being in a starboard cabin we can enjoy the sunshine as we go east this time. As the weather is still warm we ate breakfast on the balcony again which also has the advantage that we eat less. We relaxed and then went to a 10am about the technology of news presenting. Swim in the deck 12 pool followed by a 12 noon pub lunch which instantly became a 1pm lunch. The beginning of our series of four 23 hour days with clock changes have begun. We spent the rest of the afternoon lazily and enjoyed afternoon tea on the grills terrace.

Tonight is a Gala night which isn’t a gala night because of the removal of masquerade balls as mentioned by Bluemarble earlier. The daily programme says “Tonight: Gala evening attire”, after 3 post Covid cruises I have formed the idea that the term “Formal attire” has been deleted from the Cunard dictionary. There was an excellent GALA dinner with a main course of fillet steak and lobster and we then went to the show produced by the Cunard dancers. The electronic stage design was quite spectacular. Overall though we thought the evening seemed a bit flat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Matelot70; Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to keep us updated on your cruise. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your very informative posts while we hunker down here in Scotland from the recent storms.  Although we have cruised many times over the years we will be going on our very first Cunard cruise on the QM2 at the end of April and we cant wait. 

Thank you.

Thankfully now back into at sea routine. 4 good Insights talks today. Television news secrets,  Musical stars series (yesterday Nat King Cole),  Modern piracy and the Astronomy lecturer.  Interestingly he is using the planetarium as it should be to display the night sky rather than pre recorded films.

Unfortunately we have been hampered by a delay in visiting  the medical centre caused by a full crew drill. 

Noon broadcast normal as it is a 24 hour day. The Captain described great circle routes and how a 16th Century mathematician developed the maths for calculating the curved courses that are the quickest routes around a sphere that is the earth. The result on this trip is that the present couse of 073 will gradually alter to 089 by the time we reach Tenerife.

Weather improved this afternoon so we chose to make the best of the sun after a therapeutic swim. Dined later tonight as we didn't want to to the show even those a 2nd cello seems to have found.

Forgot to mention Illuminations no longer has empty rows just socially distanced seating within rows

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 6

Hi M!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and experiences.  Really makes for great reading.  I am hoping the January 3 2023 68 day voyage from New York to Sydney goes off and conditions as before back to normal.  Be well and thanks again.

Deck Chair.

2 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi M!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and experiences.  Really makes for great reading.  I am hoping the January 3 2023 68 day voyage from New York to Sydney goes off and conditions as before back to normal.  Be well and thanks again.

Deck Chair.

Thanks Deck Chair hope I have made interesting 

• Like 1

3 February 

Woke to a beautiful morning sunrise with the passage being as calm as the Captain promised. Breakfast in the restaurant for the time in over a week. Beautiful warm day so we have decided to make the most of it while it lasts and start reading the book l brought. Off to the grills deck where we like to enjoy the little treats of fresh melon and later on the small pre lunch sandwiches they offer.  Two Insights lectures on Sammy Davies Jnr and Rachel Kolsky on Women in the Fifties. As always too much to do or not to do. 
Unlike previous Captains this Captain likes to announce over the PA the noon signal is about to sound. So on 23 hour days like today he starts at 11.59 and finishes at 13.03 even though he only speaks for 4 minutes. All other voyages have had time changes that have taken place at night. I don't think it really makes any difference and if one of the reasons for doing it this way is that the hard working crew benefit by not having to endure shorter sleep periods for 4 of the 6 nights of a long crossing that is all to the good.
Up to the Deck 12 pool with an open roof today for some exercise before  further book reading exertions. The day ended with sea like a millpond.
Dinner was excellent as have been all the meals with some really excellent crew looking after us. We called in at the Queens Room where Changez were playing. We haven't seen the Queens Room much as the disadvantage of the location is that unlike QE/QV you do not pass it on the way to Dinner but there is not a lot of the traditional dancing evident.

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 3

4 February 

Calm passage continues. Opted for breakfast on the balcony before we creep further North. Four Insights lectures today and we chose Derek Tedder on News networks reporting horrific news at 10am and Scott Walker on ransoms and kidnapping at 2pm. I was surprised at his figure of 10,000 officially recorded kidnaps per year and that there are a great many more unrecorded. He is revealing a hidden industry. With lunch in the restaurant and a swim and jacuzzi session in the afternoon the day flew past. The Captain stopped for  a chat on what seem to be his regular rounds. He seems to be very happy that the trip has gone well and a member of the Dining room staff confirmed this is the feeling amongst the crew. On this return crossing we feel the days are passing so quickly. Apart from the obvious reason of 4 x 23hour days the better weather and Insights topics that appeal more than on the outward journey make the time fly unfortunately.
Early dinner so we can go to the 8pm show with the mentalist Marc Paul. Entertaining show again and we came away with nice little puzzle I can try on the grandchildren. One of the big band shows in the Queens  Room from 9pm to complete a packed but relaxing day.

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, ronpes said:

Matelot70; Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to keep us updated on your cruise. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your very informative posts while we hunker down here in Scotland from the recent storms.  Although we have cruised many times over the years we will be going on our very first Cunard cruise on the QM2 at the end of April and we cant wait. 

Thank you.

Best of luck for your cruise. Hope Cunard are able to lift more restrictions by then but if not they haven't spoilt our enjoyment

• Thanks 1

Matelot70,

We've enjoyed your comments and reviews! Thank you for taking the time to post. We'll be aboard (hopefully!!) on Feb. 22 in NYC. It sounds like you're in a grill cabin. Can you tell me whom the M'ds are in each grill? Thanks in advance.

Thank You Matelot for your well written log of the journey so far, It is much appreciated. As far as you are aware has there been any sign of covid onboard? Also, you are a excellent writer, have you thought about writing a book?

26 minutes ago, Jon_pw said:

I've very much enjoyed reading the reports from this cruise. We will be heading out from Hamburg a week today, and it has been very reassuring to hear how normal the current cruise has been.

Jon_pw

Write us here and let us know how the trip goes. March 8, were on the New York to Hamburg Eastbound voyage. Just curious how things are now.

20 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Matelot70,

We've enjoyed your comments and reviews! Thank you for taking the time to post. We'll be aboard (hopefully!!) on Feb. 22 in NYC. It sounds like you're in a grill cabin. Can you tell me whom the M'ds are in each grill? Thanks in advance.

Thomas is in Princess Grill which is where we indeed are and I think Osman is in Queens. I have seen him around the ship

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Insights said:

Thank You Matelot for your well written log of the journey so far, It is much appreciated. As far as you are aware has there been any sign of covid onboard? Also, you are a excellent writer, have you thought about writing a book?

I am extremely  flattered but I don't think I have the stamina or healthy years left to do it. I was going to cover Covid in a finale as I do not wish to tempt fate. Suffice to say we have become more sanguine and don't see any evidence of Covid. The happiness and daily tours of the Captain also seem a good yardstick.

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 3

5 February
 Feel fully recovered from our week of exertions in the Caribbean due to 5 days of sea and surroundings working their magic. For various reasons we missed the Insights lectures today. After the noon time change we went to the pub lunch. Unfortunately the Ireland Wales rugby match started which was somewhat noisy. Our mistake as we are not rugby fans. So after eating our meal we retreated outside with the rest of our drink. Ended the afternoon with swim and jacuzzi for therapeutic reasons.
Dinner of excellent lamb off the specials menu and halibut from the main menu. A stroll around the decks although the evenings are now getting appreciably cooler but I suppose we do have to start reacclimatising to conditions at home.😨
Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 1

Thank you M for your reassuring reply on covid😇 As for your writing, you have a lifetime of experiences to log and have a good sense of humor to go with it... so just start at the beginning of your life and slowly write a page or two at a time and before you know it, you will have finished your first book with many to follow. It is easy to publish on many free places such as Kindle direct.

6 February
Being unsure of the weather we didn't order breakfast so we went down to the restaurant. Afterwards I managed to find a strong WiFi spot and was able to WhatsApp my son to wish him a happy birthday. A windy, cool start quickly warmed so we used our sheltered balcony to read and take the sun. At 1100h Captain Hall made a special broadcast to celebrate the accessqion of HM Queen Elizabeth. He detailed her relationship with Cunard which started with the original Queen Mary.

After the noon time change stole a final hour from us we are now on UT/GMT. Finding it a challenge to fit all our required meals into yet another 23 hour day we went to the Corinthia Lounge for one of their snacks. The Lounge seems to have become very popular since it was redesigned some years ago. When we first encountered it, it was a sort of garden room that seemed to be very underused. Now it is quite often full even with our low passenger numbers and has music, quizzes and bingo. A guitarist/singer arrived during the time we were there, I suppose to aid the digestion.

Losing track of the time (must have jet lag after all after those annoying time changes) we were slightly late for Derek Tedder at 2.45pm in Illuminations. He was giving 1 of 2 talks about the death of Princess Diana. He was on call reporter for ITN the night of her death which seems then to have resulted in weeks then months of him covering the story. His personal involvement and insights give him a unique view as a result and he promised more details and a good opportunity for questions in his second lecture. 

A mystery for which I am seeking an answer! One blade is missing from the Captains cufflinks. Does anyone know if was used in routine maintenance or did something more unusual happen?

Off to dinner a little later tonight and then return to cabin for a good sleep to prepare ourselves for a run ashore tomorrow where besides social distancing and masks the only requirement is to carry proof of vaccination. A mist that despite the sun has been lurking on the horizon all day has closed in on the ship tonight and windier conditions have arrived. I suspect we have crossed a weather front and some relatively colder air has hit all the very warm air we have enjoyed until tonight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, newcruise said:

Safe home and thanks for helping us enjoy your voyage vicariously!

Thanks I hope I have conveyed that in spite of the constraints and a natural trepidation at the start because of the previous voyage we ended up really enjoying ourselves.

• Like 1