Does insurance cover increased fare when only one passenger cancels?

Nurse.Laura

Hello all,

We are in a situation that, due to a death in the family, one passenger needs to cancel their trip.  I talked to my TA and he said that the increased cost was not a "penalty" or a "single supplement" but just the cost of having only one passenger in the room.  As such, he said that Allianz may not pay for the increased fare.  This excerpt, from their policy documents, gave me the idea that they actually would.  Has anyone actually experienced this?

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 7.08.31 PM.png

40 minutes ago, Nurse.Laura said:

Hello all,

We are in a situation that, due to a death in the family, one passenger needs to cancel their trip.  I talked to my TA and he said that the increased cost was not a "penalty" or a "single supplement" but just the cost of having only one passenger in the room.  As such, he said that Allianz may not pay for the increased fare.  This excerpt, from their policy documents, gave me the idea that they actually would.  Has anyone actually experienced this?

What does your travel insurance broker or the travel insurance company say?

Aren't they the ones who would be most familiar with this?

Or was your TA the insurance broker?

What you copied certainly sounds like the extra fees would be covered (assuming it's for a covered reason), but I don't know what your TA knows that would have him saying otherwise.   He's a travel professional... and I'm not...  (And if he's wrong, then perhaps you need a different TA?)

GC

• Thanks 2

Single supplement refers to the surcharge applied when a person travels solo in accommodations intended for two. You did not book it that way, but you become a single traveler when your traveling companion cancels.

I expect a death in the family is a covered reason required in the section you quoted and that indeed your policy will cover the additional accommodation fee as stated.

Your TA seems to have an incomplete understanding of the policy. Call Allianz to be sure, but I it appears that you are covered.

• Thanks 1

When you return, get rid of your TA. If they are selling you the insurance, making a commission off of the sale, and then can't even be bothered to help you understand your options,,,, they're just taking your money.,

Most likely, the additional charge would be covered. However, the details are in the fine print of your policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Bravo to Nurse.Laura for conducting her own due diligence by actually reading the policy (most folks do not read their policies).   I noticed that the OP says she talked to her TA and IMHO most TAs have little knowledge about insurance issues beyond the basics and what they need to know to sell the policies (which give them a commission). 

That language certainly does give one reason to think that increased cost for the cruise, if it is due to the death of another booked in that same cabin, might well be covered.  I would suggest talking to the actual insurance company and getting the necessary claim form(s).  It certainly makes sense to pursue a claim and see how it is handled by the claims processing folks.  You can expect to be asked for any relevant document (claims adjusters want evidence to support any claim) related to the booking as well as something to prove the death (we once were able to prove death on a claim by simply providing a public obituary).  These days I would not be surprised if a claims processer asked for a copy of the relevant death certificate.   My advice, as always, having worked in the industry is to always be polite and respectful to the insurance folks (even though you might be pulling out your hair dealing with claims processors) and persist in pushing your claim until you receive a decision (in writing).  To quote an old friend, "don't let the bastar** wear you down!"

Hank 

• 4 weeks later...

My parents were booked on a March 2020 cruise with us before COVID struck and they had Travelex insurance. My father became ill in the Fall of 2019 and passed away in January 2020. My mom decided to go forward with the trip so the cruise line refunded my fathers fare and Travelex reimbursed her for the difference between her original double occupancy fare and her new single occupancy fare. While death is an extreme example, I would expect that this policy would be the same for any covered cancelation reason. 

One option is to see if the 2nd passenger would be willing to cover at least 50 percent of the increased fare if the Travel Insurance does not cover it.  Before you book with a travel partner not related to you like a Friend see what agreement works  if they cancel for any reason and your fare increases as that is not your fault. 

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, Nurse.Laura said:

Hello all,

It might hinge on who in the family died and whether the relationship is one that is covered.

So did they pay out?