Sorry…three quick Covid testing questions

Cathy in Boston

Hi all, I’m so sorry to ask these questions…I’ve been lurking for ages and I’ve downloaded so many Covid threads, I’ve actually confused myself, LOL.

I know the type of test I need (rapid antigen,) I know where to buy them via Celebrity (Optimum Store,) and I know the time frame (2 days.). My questions are is it Optimum that proctors the test?  If not, will they give a link to sign into to do the test?  Do they give the test on Saturday as my cruise leaves on a Monday?

Thank you!!

Optum farms out the testing to a worldwide network of proctors.  You will want to follow the instructions on contacting either by cell phone or PC for that service.  You create an account for EACH person being tested, so have a couple of email addresses handy if there are two of you testing.

Yes, they operate 24/7.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, canderson said:

Optum farms out the testing to a worldwide network of proctors.  You will want to follow the instructions on contacting either by cell phone or PC for that service.  You create an account for EACH person being tested, so have a couple of email addresses handy if there are two of you testing.

Yes, they operate 24/7.

Following this thread...I also appreciate any info on subject.  Have never had to do any self tests and worry (yes, I am a worrier) over ability to reach proctor if testing.  Can the accounts be made ahead of travel?  Are the proctors easily reached...like, no 2 hour hold times, or non-user friendly instructions? (Non-techy person).  For travel home, how does Celebrity administer tests on board?

Thanks in advance...been out if ghe travel loop fir 2.5 years due to Covid.  Hoping to make it on board in April.  Julie

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Optum farms out the testing to a worldwide network of proctors. 

To be precise, Optum is a reseller for the 2-packs and 3-packs for the tests.  eMed also is a reseller for the 6-packs and appears to be the one doing the testing (at least, that's what the lab results say) via the international proctors.  Navica seems to be a part of Abbot (the test manufacturer).

Anyhow, @Cathy in Boston, all you need to do is create yourself a Navica account (there is a QR code on the test box), and then go to eMed.com and click on "Start Testing."  It will link up with the Navica account and then walk you through the process.  They are testing 24/7.

22 minutes ago, misha1 said:

Are the proctors easily reached...like, no 2 hour hold times, or non-user friendly instructions? (Non-techy person).

I've never had to hold for more than a few moments, including when I tested about a week and a half ago.  Over the holidays, some were reporting longer waits, but that appears to be have been a holiday rush situation. 

As for the instructions, you might want to go over to YouTube and watch a video of someone doing the test.  It's not hard to do, but it can feel a little awkward the first time.  The video might help you feel more comfortable with the process.

• Like 2

The testing of the BinaxNow Proctored tests sold by both Optum and EMed is done on the Navica platform which is an Abbott Labs  program and staff.  This article is pretty good about answering your questions.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/abbotts-new-NAVICA-app-what-you-need-to-know.html

• Like 1

Just now, cruizelvr said:

I bought a box with 2 tests, can my husband use one and I the other? Will there be separate QR code’s?

You ordered 2 tests, which will come in individual boxes.  DO NOT OPEN YOUR TEST KIT BOX until told to by your proctor because you have no spares.

Use your computer (or smartphones) to go to the Navica website or download the Navica app (which I found easier).  Create accounts for each of you, and the site will literally walk you through everything.  Your proctor will assist you in finding the QR code to show them when they guide you through the test.  I suggest printing out your test results at the end so you don't need to worry about cellphone signal, etc.

Any questions? Note the sticky at the top of this forum.  🙂

1 hour ago, cruizelvr said:

I bought a box with 2 tests, can my husband use one and I the other? Will there be separate QR code’s?

Each box/test has its own code and each person needs their own Emed login.  If you had ordered 100 tests, they could be used by 100 different people, each with their own Emed/navica login. 

Go to emed.com now and click as if you needed to take a test now. Create your account and you're one step ahead for testing day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruizelvr said:

To clarify - if you bought a single box with two tests, presumably from someone other than Optum or Emed, they are not valid.  The tests in the 2 or 3 pack from Optum come in their own boxes, ie you'll get 2 boxes in the 2 pack and 3 boxes in the 3 pack.

9 hours ago, cruizelvr said:

We bought one box each.  Glad we did!!!  The first test I tried was defective and no liquid was in the bottle!  We actually canceled the cruise- but had we only one kit- we would have a major problem!  We have another cruise planned in March and I am not sure if I can trust the e-med test.  Will try and make an appointment at a florida drug store in the event of a problem!

There is a great YouTube video on the Celebrity Abbott test - walks through setting up the required apps (Navica) and eMed.  Shows the test start to finish - dialing in, scanning the QR code, getting connected.  I highly recommend you watch it, just for your comfort level.   

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We bought one box each.  Glad we did!!!  The first test I tried was defective and no liquid was in the bottle!  We actually canceled the cruise- but had we only one kit- we would have a major problem!  We have another cruise planned in March and I am not sure if I can trust the e-med test.  Will try and make an appointment at a florida drug store in the event of a problem!

We did the same for our Edge January 2nd- 9th sailing.  Our test day was New Year's Eve and it was hard to find a pharmacy that was open/testing that day.  We ordered two test kits each.  Both my partner and I took the test at 9:00 am on December 31st.  His results came in an e-mail and on the Navica app within 5 minutes.  My results never came.  After multiple phone calls to EMed throughout the day and evening attempting to resolve the problem, I finally retested at midnight with my back up kit. Results to this test came back in 1 minute after the negative test. So glad that I had one available to use.

So could I have clarification - If you buy the two test kit, they come individually wrapped and 2 individuals can use them - so for two people you only need to purchase the one kit.

Or, I am confused - do you each need to purchase your own kit - that makes it expensive at $69 per two kit test.  Please get me out of my confused state.

29 minutes ago, britty1 said:

So could I have clarification - If you buy the two test kit, they come individually wrapped and 2 individuals can use them - so for two people you only need to purchase the one kit.

Or, I am confused - do you each need to purchase your own kit - that makes it expensive at $69 per two kit test.  Please get me out of my confused state.

That is correct.  There are two boxes.    The image here shows the two test kit box (there are 2 in the shipment) and the two test box you can buy at a pharmacy etc.  Note the bottom says OTC.  That's not good.  The top has the seal, the sleeve and the QR code for Navica.  

Hope this helps.

IMG_4222.jpg