Cruise First Certificate?

asctony

I am in the process of booking an NCL Cruise with my TA. I received a quote with

the following paragraph.

'Consider buying a cruise first cert. It's $250 but gets you $500 toward payment of this sailing., spend 250, get 500.'

My question how do you interpret this offer?

1. I pay $250 for this CFC. Then I spend $250 on anything and get $500?

2. I pay $250 for this CFC. Spend $250 get $500? 

I would greatly appreciate your interpretation of this offer. 

TIA

17 minutes ago, asctony said:

I am in the process of booking an NCL Cruise with my TA. I received a quote with

the following paragraph.

'Consider buying a cruise first cert. It's $250 but gets you $500 toward payment of this sailing., spend 250, get 500.'

My question how do you interpret this offer?

1. I pay $250 for this CFC. Then I spend $250 on anything and get $500?

2. I pay $250 for this CFC. Spend $250 get $500? 

I would greatly appreciate your interpretation of this offer. 

TIA

You purchase the $500 cruise next certificate and it costs you $250.00.  You then use the certificate when booking the cruise so it applies $500 towards the cruise.

You pay  $250 and get a $500 certificate to pay for new booking.  There are restrictions and expiration dates associated with them (strings attached).  I believe,  if you or they cancel they will only refund you the $250.  I just used mine.  There was also a requirement that I could not  buy one and use it immediately.  There was a waiting period to prevent me from purchasing and using it.  Make sure to read the terms and conditions to see if it will be beneficial to your needs.

Edited by jy0ung1
typo

When I decided to book a cruise, I first purchased a CruiseFirst certificate.  When I bought, the deal was to pay $150 for a $300 certificate.  Make sure you have an NCL online account first.  Then buy it.  My credit card was charged $150.  I don’t recall exactly how long I waited to then book my cruise, but I could swear it was just minutes later.  But I could be wrong.  When it gets processed, you will see the certificate listed on your account page when you sign in.  Then, when you book the cruise and get to the payment page, there is an option to use your certificate toward payment.  Very easy. 

I believe they are only good for cruises that are at least 4 months out.  And maybe only 7 day or longer cruises.  Look into those details before purchasing to make sure they apply. 

The certificate also has an expiration date.  If your cruise gets cancelled, the certificate goes back into your account.  You do not get cash refunded.  The expiration date will remain the same unless you can get them to process an exception.  So you could run a risk of letting the clock run out on your certificate in cancellation situations. 

It is like buying a gift certificate. You pay $250 and you get a $500 gift certificate. There are rules and expiration on that certificate. At least when I bought mine, you could only have 1 certificate for booking a cruise. They can't be used for anything other than booking a cruise.

I just booked a cruise for 2023 through my PCC and since I didn't have any CruiseNext voucher available she gave me two choices:

• Just pay the deposit of $250
  • Or purchase a CruiseFirst coupon for $250 and get $500 applied towards the cruise

Needless to say that I of course chose the second alternative.... 😊

I was told that the use would be very similar to the CruiseNext vouchers that I am very familiar with. 

Edited by TrumpyNor