Help---current Covid procedures and status on Holland America.

Mountainduo

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A PCR test might be positive. An Antigen test probably won't be. Some reading of the many discussions on the topic would be helpful. 

I remain booked. After reading all of HAL’s detailed question & answer pages in my contract etc. etc it seems one big dilemma us booked cruisers have to ponder is this: Even though fully vaccinated we can nonetheless get ‘BreakthruCovid’ at any moment and then it’s a no-go situation. No wonder a great many are saying ‘the heck with THIS’ and staying home. Is it time for a personal  ‘pause’? I haven’t decided yet. 

On 1/22/2022 at 10:30 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

I remain booked. After reading all of HAL’s detailed question & answer pages in my contract etc. etc it seems one big dilemma us booked cruisers have to ponder is this: Even though fully vaccinated we can nonetheless get ‘BreakthruCovid’ at any moment and then it’s a no-go situation. No wonder a great many are saying ‘the heck with THIS’ and staying home. Is it time for a personal  ‘pause’? I haven’t decided yet. 

When are scheduled to sail?

On 1/20/2022 at 3:52 PM, Katioe210 said:

We were on the Eurodam last week.

We were required to have a negative Covid-19 test within 48 hours of embarkation, which was challenging since everyone was trying to get a test after the holidays.

In our veranda cabin the left us paper masks that did not seem to fit well and I was glad we had n95 masks. I asked about the HAL masks I saw people wearing and was told they ran out and were not ordering more. 

All of the crew had n95 masks. 

There was no further testing on board and no testing done at the end of the cruise. I was quite surprised by this as we were coming back into the country. 

Most passengers were very compliant with wearing masks. Of course there were some who felt like wearing it under their nose was sufficient. In BB King there were often many without masks. Masks are required on the dance floor and once a crew member did ask the dancers to put on their masks. 

Our cruise had only 660 passengers and was very tame. At times we were the only ones around. The dining room on many nights had very few passengers. Not sure how long they can survive with so few passengers. 

We joined the cruise after yours and every passenger was given 3 kn95 in a wax paper envelope.  The envelope asked us to bring it with us to store our mask while eating.

We were told we could get more masks if needed.

Regarding procedures and safety.  My wife is a nurse practitioner in palliative care who in the peaks of covid was calling families to have goals of care and code status conversations  She has seen the worst of it all.  With that background she has commented many times that the cruise we are on right now (Eurodam) is safer than going to the grocery store.

Masks enforced at the buffet and when in the halls or at the bar ordering.  
Masks required on the dance floor

everyone tested and vaccinated.
Crew all wearing KN95 masks and passengers provided the same masks.

We are already thinking about our next cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

With the new HAL procedures to administer post cruise Covid test off ship, in the terminal ,for those who require one to return to their home country, is there a HAL rep on site to assist anyone who tests positive at that time? Ie - with quarantine arrangements/ flight changes/ costs?

Thanks, that was the process until past few weeks.In November, we got PCR test the  day before disembarkation  with written results that evening, but new process is to make an appointment on the ship for a pCR test to be administered in the terminal after you disembark and collect your luggage — 

On 1/21/2022 at 7:09 PM, FlorenceItaly said:

I believe NMCruiser posting live from the Zuiderdam was in a Neptune and he was moved out to a balcony.  His partner remained negative and stayed in the Neptune Suite.  ETA:  I many be confusing this with Celebrity.  There have been several live isolation reporting across all the cruise lines.

I think he was solo on his B2B (his partner got off) and their prior cruise was a Neptune. But even the nonpositive passenger has to move to another cabin so they can sanitize the current cabin. If they have a similar cabin available (which they should?) then the non positive would move there if selected. But then the FCC that the quarantine passenger gets does not go to the split passenger. So the question becomes, do you decide to quarantine together to both get FCC )and spend 10 days isolated together in a cabin) or split and separate cabins for one passenger to enjoy the current cruise while the other sits isolated, alone in a cabin. (DW is still deciding what she would choose. 😞 )

9 hours ago, Diane D said:

With the new HAL procedures to administer post cruise Covid test off ship, in the terminal ,for those who require one to return to their home country, is there a HAL rep on site to assist anyone who tests positive at that time? Ie - with quarantine arrangements/ flight changes/ costs?

I can only speak for the Nieuw Amsterdam that I disembarked on January 8.  Testing just outside of the terminal exit was done by a contractor, not HAL.  There was no HAL rep available.  FWIW those who tested positive (2) were given immediate retests with priority processing.

One retest was negative and left one happy Canadian family happy to be eligible to fly home.  I left before the second person's retest was completed.

• Like 2

I have decided to cancel for a completely different reason. If you read their covid policy which you must accept to sail, it states you have to accept responsibility for costs and damages if you catch covid. It DOES NOT state these costs are limited to your costs. It is vague and could be interpreted as HAL's costs as well. Imagine paying for 1500 people that need to be flown home or a ship that needs to diverted hundred or thousands of miles. I don't trust lawyers for a good reason and refuse to expose myself to this. All they needed to do is include the word "their" in the form to clarify the entire declaration. Why didn't they? I don't need them, they need me.  Bob

14 hours ago, Hired Gun said:

I have decided to cancel for a completely different reason. If you read their covid policy which you must accept to sail, it states you have to accept responsibility for costs and damages if you catch covid. It DOES NOT state these costs are limited to your costs. It is vague and could be interpreted as HAL's costs as well. Imagine paying for 1500 people that need to be flown home or a ship that needs to diverted hundred or thousands of miles. I don't trust lawyers for a good reason and refuse to expose myself to this. All they needed to do is include the word "their" in the form to clarify the entire declaration. Why didn't they? I don't need them, they need me.  Bob

Personally, I think your overthinking and overreacting to a misinterpretation of the policy. If you haven't canceled yet, I would reconsider your decision. Just my opinion of course..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 7:30 PM, Hired Gun said:

Did you cancel? If so, BIG mistake IMO..