Silver Spirts Included wines

gymfreak

49 minutes ago, duquephart said:

"Nobodys (sic)  saying IPA is lager" 

Except you: "IPA is a lager style beer, and usually thought of as lager."

'Lager style' , and 'usually thought of as' are not the same as me saying I think it is. 

The conversation moved on some time ago, try to keep up! 😁

19 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Apparently "some time ago" = 1 hour.

The rest of us are having a lighthearted conversation about booze, we're not trying to agree, disagree, prove or disprove anything. 

I suspect you'd turn anything cheerful into a wet wednesday in Wigan 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 1 year later...

Just returned from Viking Homelands - this was our first Viking Ocean cruise.  We have taken six Viking River cruises.  Everything about this Ocean cruise met or exceeded our expectations after six River Cruises, . . . . . except the Silver Spirits Beverage Package.  It cost us $700.00 in April 2023 and was a waste of money because the quality of the wines-by-the-glass were pretty much atrocious.

1. On River, you can order anything on the wine list;  if a bottle isn't already open, they'll open one for you and pour you a glass - at the table or in the lounge.  On Ocean, only SOME of the wines in the wine list are available by-the-glass for Silver Spirits.  The good wines are available only by the bottle and those are not included in Silver Spirits.  That's called bait-and-switch. 

2.  Viking advertises the Silver Spirits Beverage Package as "unlimited Premium wines".  The wines-by-the-glass available for $700.00 for two people on a 15-day cruise can be described as a lot of things but "Premium wines" is not one of those terms.  The wines by-the-glass are very low-end cheap, boozy wines.  I looked some of them up on the internet.  These were $7.99 wines.  On one occasion, I had a glass of the SSBP Premium wines for dinner and it gave me a headache for the rest of the evening and made me feel hungover.  I'll say it again:  these are cheap wines.

3. My wife and I would have enjoyed having some of the good wines on the wine list for dinner but I resented being charged $700.00 for the Beverage Package - and then having to fork over an additional $60.00 for a decent bottle of wine.  So I found one of the wines-by-the-glass that was tolerable and pretty much stuck with that.  All the other ones I tried were not very good.

4.  The person at Viking Ocean cruises that purchases their wines provides only two options on the wine list:  cheap boozy wines and higher end wines for which you have to pay extra.  There is nothing in the middle.  I can think of a lot of really good wines in the $25-$30 price range but they offer only wines at the low end for the people who make the mistake of dropping $700.00 for a 15-day cruise.

I do not recommend the SSBP for Viking Ocean.  Go to a local wine store when you are in port and buy some good wines and bring them back to the ship.

• Like 1

TMS, sorry you had bad wines with your SSP on that trip.

We have found the SSP included wines to be hit and miss.  First 3 river and ocean cruises, wines were good.  Last river cruise, especially the second segment to southern France (who would think you could not get good wine in the Rhone!), wines were lousy.

I hope this is not some type of cost-cutting move post CV19.

I totally agree that there are plenty of solid wines for $20-40 per bottle, which should be in the range for inclusion with SSP, IMO.

• Like 1

We are not quite as discerning and are mostly happy with the included wines, and when not (usually me), will order a la carte. Numerous threads on CC over the last year have included wine, spirits & cocktail menus for all venues on the ship. A little research is always helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

We are not quite as discerning and are mostly happy with the included wines, and when not (usually me), will order a la carte. Numerous threads on CC over the last year have included wine, spirits & cocktail menus for all venues on the ship. A little research is always helpful.

They did not say included wines, they upgraded to SS and still got crappy wines. That is NOT ok,  what research should they have done 

27 minutes ago, purpleally said:

They did not say included wines, they upgraded to SS and still got crappy wines. That is NOT ok,  what research should they have done 

Hi Joanne,

We’re traveling with you on the Bergen to Iceland cruise in July & organized the Lofoten tour.

I realize they did not say included wines. I’m just making a point that we don’t pay for SS—it’s just another way to pay—everybody has access to all the wines on the menu. For ourselves, we find it’s not worth the $$$ because we don’t drink that much. Last cruise we did (for 15 days), our bar bill was less than $150.

I don’t agree that the wines on Viking Ocean are crappy. But that’s just me (like I said—not as discerning.)

The research is as I indicated—that numerous threads on CC in the last year have postings of the wine, spirits & cocktail offerings on Viking Ocean ships. Several times, folks have asked people to post the menus—so cruisers can see what’s available in the wine category. Granted, the next cruise may be out of things or have different offerings, but I think you can get a general idea of what Viking offers—at least to this less discerning eye.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TMS_CT said:

Viking advertises the Silver Spirits Beverage Package as "unlimited Premium wines"

Here’s the text from the SSBP on MVJ:

Upgrade and enjoy unlimited beverages in all dining venues and bars throughout the duration of your cruise. Our newly enhanced Silver Spirits Beverage program is now $25 USD per night. The package includes:

• Any drinks up to $18.00 USD including premium wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs
  • Now includes house champagne by the glass
  • Premium wines by the glass, cocktails and aperitifs
  • Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise
  • 30% discount on premium beverages above $50.00 USD
  • 50% discount for premium tasting events
  • The Chefs Table premium wine pairing
  • Wide range of upgraded selection of whiskeys & whisky’s
  • Wide range of upgraded wines and spirits
  • Soft drinks & juices

We do love our wines and have often taken SSBP.  However on our last cruise (Dec/Jan panama canal), it was a huge disappointment.  Supposedly due to supply chain issues (delivery to Ft Lauderdale), they hardly had any of the wines on the menu in stock.  It got to be almost comical amongst many of us.  One of the wine stewards at Manfredi's was apologetic after 2 tries and getting either a Zin or a Cab (they were out) and asked me just to order something and he'd see if it was available.  We tried FIVE different times and nothing.  Just a very very light almost rose blend was left in stock.  Same with Whites - no Chardonnays.  I said why don't you just cross all those off the wine list (but then it would look obvious).

Someone just posted the wine list for their BIE cruise (Venus?) and it looked a lot better.  I do see what the poster is saying though.  It appears that many wines that were available for SSBP have moved into the purchase a bottle only category.  (Such as Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and Penfolds Shiraz), and noticeable lack of US & California wines, which they've had before.  Example:  There are 13 reds from California and only 1 of the 13 is available for SSBP (ALL others are bottle purchase only).  Sad.   Very Europe and SA dominated.  Overall I would say that easily over 50 % of the menu is bottle purchase only (compared to maybe 10-20% last year and earlier.   If so, this is a definite downgrade.  (Probably cost cutting, revenue generating move as so many companies are doing during inflation times).

We are back on board again in a few weeks to Iceland.  Hopefully their issue is resolved (and hopefully not be cutting back on quality).  I will keep people posted! 

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kent,

As a Central Coast wine lover I knew you’d weigh in! 😉 I remember you posting about your Panama Canal cruise and the dearth of wines. We haven’t cruised in a year so I’m alarmed to hear that about 50% of wines are bottle only now, compared with 10-20% historically! Viking seems to be having all kinds of problems!

~Linda

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Hi Joanne,

We’re traveling with you on the Bergen to Iceland cruise in July & organized the Lofoten tour.

I realize they did not say included wines. I’m just making a point that we don’t pay for SS—it’s just another way to pay—everybody has access to all the wines on the menu. For ourselves, we find it’s not worth the $$$ because we don’t drink that much. Last cruise we did (for 15 days), our bar bill was less than $150.

I don’t agree that the wines on Viking Ocean are crappy. But that’s just me (like I said—not as discerning.)

The research is as I indicated—that numerous threads on CC in the last year have postings of the wine, spirits & cocktail offerings on Viking Ocean ships. Several times, folks have asked people to post the menus—so cruisers can see what’s available in the wine category. Granted, the next cruise may be out of things or have different offerings, but I think you can get a general idea of what Viking offers—at least to this less discerning eye.

Thank you for clarification. I’m hoping that the wines are better than what the poster indicated. I have read many topics on the drink pkg.  This is the first time that I read the “upgraded” wines were not good 

The On-Board Experience page (https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience) makes this statement:
Silver Spirits Beverage Package
To enjoy unlimited premium wine, beer, cocktails and more of the best spirits available during your cruise, upgrade to our Silver Spirits beverage package.

Note the phrase, "unlimited premium wine, . . . ."
It's really an unlimited amounts of a wine-like beverage.  I can only imagine what the "house wine" is like.
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, TMS_CT said:
The On-Board Experience page (https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience) makes this statement:
Silver Spirits Beverage Package
To enjoy unlimited premium wine, beer, cocktails and more of the best spirits available during your cruise, upgrade to our Silver Spirits beverage package.

Note the phrase, "unlimited premium wine, . . . ."
It's really an unlimited amounts of a wine-like beverage.  I can only imagine what the "house wine" is like.

And when you click through to the next page (“Learn More”) it gives you the text I quoted in #84 above, with information about what pre-paying for a set amount, vs. paying a la carte, gets you.

• Like 1

We will be doing our first Viking cruise this September.  We are moving over from another line which we feel has really lost its appeal (cutbacks and more).  So, we have 3 Viking Ocean cruises booked and have the SSBP on them.  Looking at this thread, it would make you think that it may not be worth the money to purchase the package if Viking is limiting you to less than the complete list of wines and making a bottle purchase necessary.  If I am misunderstanding this would someone please help me understand.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

We will be doing our first Viking cruise this September.  We are moving over from another line which we feel has really lost its appeal (cutbacks and more).  So, we have 3 Viking Ocean cruises booked and have the SSBP on them.  Looking at this thread, it would make you think that it may not be worth the money to purchase the package if Viking is limiting you to less than the complete list of wines and making a bottle purchase necessary.  If I am misunderstanding this would someone please help me understand.  Thanks.

It is worth it to us and we are picky drinkers. Why? Because we enjoy a glass with lunch and generally don’t like the included wines. We find a few SSBP by the glass whites and reds that we like and stick with them. Then there is a cocktail before dinner and cognac after. We have also purchased a bottle once in a while and like the discount. It all adds up to making SSBP worth it to us. 

• Like 4

Perhaps - but, I don't find a larger serving of an unpleasant wine to be any less unpleasant.  Unless you're simply drinking for effect.

I'll stick with my opening opinion:  the SSBP wines on Viking River are considerably better than Viking Ocean.  On River, it's a good investment;  last month on Ocean, I learned from experience it was not a good investment because of the poor quality of the included wines.

One thing I failed to mention:  When I submitted comments to Viking Customer Relations about this, they reimbursed me 50% of the $700.00 we paid - in the form of shipboard credit for the cruise I'm taking in December.  That was gracious of them - they weren't obligated to do that.  Nevertheless, next time (on Ocean) I will not purchase SSBP.  We like good wines and with a little effort, Viking Ocean could improve the experience for those that think they are paying for good wine.  Caveat Emptor.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

And when you click through to the next page (“Learn More”) it gives you the text I quoted in #84 above, with information about what pre-paying for a set amount, vs. paying a la carte, gets you.

It’s always best to read the full text of anything that Viking posts. It amazes me how many people don’t do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMS_CT said:

Perhaps - but, I don't find a larger serving of an unpleasant wine to be any less unpleasant.  Unless you're simply drinking for effect.

I'll stick with my opening opinion:  the SSBP wines on Viking River are considerably better than Viking Ocean.  On River, it's a good investment;  last month on Ocean, I learned from experience it was not a good investment because of the poor quality of the included wines.

One thing I failed to mention:  When I submitted comments to Viking Customer Relations about this, they reimbursed me 50% of the $700.00 we paid - in the form of shipboard credit for the cruise I'm taking in December.  That was gracious of them - they weren't obligated to do that.  Nevertheless, next time (on Ocean) I will not purchase SSBP.  We like good wines and with a little effort, Viking Ocean could improve the experience for those that think they are paying for good wine.  Caveat Emptor.

100 % agree with you!

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

100 % agree with you!

3 hours ago, TMS_CT said:

We chose ones we thought likely to be OK, they were not unpleasant. Prices are about the same as most bars/restaurants in the UK. Cost is not a reliable factor when choosing wine, £10 a bottle can be as drinkable as £30 a bottle. My favourites are £8 and £21. In a bar they would be around  £30 and £50 a bottle.

Below £5 all are a bit nasty, above £15 all are subjective. Example, I detest sparkling wine, don't care how rare the champagne vintage, I have yet to try one I like, therefore Asti or Cava as good as any for me, will drink a glass to be polite at weddings etc

The smaller serve simply means that the drinks package becomes more economically viable if you don't want to only drink the house wines provided with meals. They can be good or bad, it's too subjective depending on personal taste

• Like 3

Perhaps plebeian but we have always been at least OK with the included wines. On a few occasions we have asked if one or the other from last night is still an option and have never been disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

If you want to purchase a bottle and want a pre-dinner glass of wine as well as with dinner, where do you purchase the bottle?

From one of the bars, room service or one of the waiters