Silver Spirts Included wines

gymfreak

On 1/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Of course, they aren't serving draft beer like they do in the UK.  Is that covered by the travel agent protections?

In certain circumstances it is! Holidays and accommodation facilities etc. must be as described. If draft beer was mentioned as being available at the time of booking, and was a provable major contributory factor to the customer deciding to book, if it is then not available compensation may be payable. 

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Perfect, especially when served at cellar temperature. I could probably handle a few to those proper sized pints.

Here you are, recommended by the corner table. It's a Sea Fury from Sharps, the 6X is still on but just starting to get chewy 🙂

IMG_20220129_120249.thumb.jpg.55ef2a38723212a17638bd98e7cf5003.jpg

On 1/27/2022 at 7:19 AM, KBs mum said:

We classify Carlsberg and similar as lager, beer is only the ales and bottled craft beers.

IPA is a lager style beer, and usually thought of as lager

I'll start this discussion in the pub this evening, beer v lager is usually entertaing from a safe distance😁

Someone might want to brush up on their beer knowledge. I would recommend "A Brief History of Lager: 500 Years of the World's Favourite Beer" as a very good starting point.

You live and learn.  I thought this was a wind up but indeed the book exists.  It is sold by the CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) in the UK.  However the first line of the sales page says"Despite beer's history, which is as old as civilization, lager is a relative newcomer, ostensibly first brewed around 500 years ago"

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Someone might want to brush up on their beer knowledge. I would recommend "A Brief History of Lager: 500 Years of the World's Favourite Beer" as a very good starting point.

It may be a type of beer, but it is not draft beer unless it is racked in casks and hand pulled. 

34 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

It may be a type of beer, but it is not draft beer unless it is racked in casks and hand pulled. 

By your definition.

The Aussies drink a lot of beer, and they have a different viewpoint.

https://beerandwine.guide/beer/what-is-draught-or-draft-beer-everything-you-need-to-know/

And in America, if it comes from a keg, it's "draft".

And even the Wikipedia entry for Beer in England says:

"By the early 1970s the term "draught beer" almost exclusively referred to beer served under pressure as opposed to the traditional cask or barrel beer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_England

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

By your definition.

The Aussies drink a lot of beer, and they have a different viewpoint.

https://beerandwine.guide/beer/what-is-draught-or-draft-beer-everything-you-need-to-know/

And in America, if it comes from a keg, it's "draft".

And even the Wikipedia entry for Beer in England says:

"By the early 1970s the term "draught beer" almost exclusively referred to beer served under pressure as opposed to the traditional cask or barrel beer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_England

That's also my understanding and is the common definition in Scotland, where I gre up, and also what I have experienced around the World.

Draught or draft beer is any beer coming from a keg or cask, regardless of whether it is pressurised by CO2 or Nitrogen, hand-pulled or just poured out a cask sitting on the bar.

However, some CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) members may take a purist approach that only cask conditioned ales, that are hand-pulled, are worthy of being designated "Draught". Never got around to joining CAMRA back in the 70's, so just a guess, don't know for sure.

For me, any beer from a keg/cask, and comes from a tap, that is hand-pulled, or pressurised is "Draught" beer. I also prefer my Stouts & Porters on a Nitrogen, rather than CO2 tap. Much superior head.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

That's also my understanding and is the common definition in Scotland, where I gre up, and also what I have experienced around the World.

Draught or draft beer is any beer coming from a keg or cask, regardless of whether it is pressurised by CO2 or Nitrogen, hand-pulled or just poured out a cask sitting on the bar.

However, some CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) members may take a purist approach that only cask conditioned ales, that are hand-pulled, are worthy of being designated "Draught". Never got around to joining CAMRA back in the 70's, so just a guess, don't know for sure.

For me, any beer from a keg/cask, and comes from a tap, that is hand-pulled, or pressurised is "Draught" beer. I also prefer my Stouts & Porters on a Nitrogen, rather than CO2 tap. Much superior head.

"For me, any beer from a keg/cask, and comes from a tap, that is hand-pulled, or pressurised is "Draught" beer."

For you and almost everyone else on the planet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, duquephart said:

"For me, any beer from a keg/cask, and comes from a tap, that is hand-pulled, or pressurised is "Draught" beer."

For you and almost everyone else on the planet.

Draught beer might be. Draft beer isn't. 

I love pointless debates, anybody else want to join in? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Draught beer might be. Draft beer isn't. 

I love pointless debates, anybody else want to join in? 

Draught is traditionally the more British spelling, while draft is more Americanised English.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Heidi, you know I respect your knowledge, but you prefer gas and a sparkler for brews? 

Heathen! 😁

On 1/27/2022 at 4:19 AM, KBs mum said:

IPA is a lager style beer, and usually thought of as lager

I'll start this discussion in the pub this evening, beer v lager is usually entertaing from a safe distance😁

Well, I never heard of IPA as a lager before.  In fact I've heard that it isn't. I'm not a huge lager fan, but I do like all variations of India Pale Ale!  I guess I enjoy that touch or more of bitterness that lagers do not have.  Just for fun . . .

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/lager-vs-ipa

From Heidi13 (Andy's) neck of the woods in B.C.

Everything You Should Know About Lagers vs IPAs

So you don't have to ask the bartenders what they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Heidi, you know I respect your knowledge, but you prefer gas and a sparkler for brews? 

Heathen! 😁

Haha!! While craft beer has expanded significantly, especially on the West Coast - in Metro Vancouver we have over 100 small breweries, they have not got into cask ales, or serving ales at cellar temperatures.

At one of our local breweries in town they occassionally provide a cask, but not even once per month. No hand-pulled tap, so it sits on the bar and beer pours from a spout. That is a rare treat.

Unfortunately, the only 2 real choices we have is the gas used - CO2 or Nitrogen. When back in UK, I do enjoy a hand-pulled pint.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Well, I never heard of IPA as a lager before.  In fact I've heard that it isn't. I'm not a huge lager fan, but I do like all variations of India Pale Ale!  I guess I enjoy that touch or more of bitterness that lagers do not have.  Just for fun . . .

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/lager-vs-ipa

From Heidi13 (Andy's) neck of the woods in B.C.

Everything You Should Know About Lagers vs IPAs

So you don't have to ask the bartenders what they are.

Really only two (broad) types/categories of beer: ale and lager. India Pale Ale is, well, an ale (duh!).

Two photos about lager

1. Carling think their product is lager, according to this bar mat

IMG_20220129_130333.thumb.jpg.0a2d16ac06a18a9c5387c6751b1a68cb.jpg

2. How Carlsberg is delivered to pubs in Aalborg (Denmark). Everyone else took photos of of historic buildings, we ended up with one of a lager tanker! IMG-20220201-WA0000.thumb.jpg.cde37643d3059b7b7811c48eb4d6860d.jpg

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beer Advocate styles it as:

Lager - Adjunct

Light bodied, pale, fizzy lagers made popular by the large macro-breweries (large breweries) of America after Prohibition. Low bitterness, thin malts, and moderate alcohol. Focus is less on flavor and more on mass-production and consumption, cutting flavor and sometimes costs with adjunct cereal grains, like rice and corn.

26 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Really only two (broad) types/categories of beer: ale and lager. India Pale Ale is, well, an ale (duh!).

Nobodys  saying IPA is lager, the blokes in the pub think it has more in common with lager than with the draft beers. 

Today's draft options are Directors, Tim Taylor and Black Sheep. 

If anybody interested the ciders on tap are Thatchers and Strongbow. 

The wine list has two items, white or red. Literally, that's the choice, the white one or the red one! 

And now on with the Aunt Sally league fixtures mix up fracas . . . . 

4 minutes ago, claranda said:

Sounds just like the 70s. I don’t suppose they serve food either…

Crisps or nuts, chip van in car park twice a week. It's one of the few proper village pubs left. Very popular as a result. Landlady famous for keeping a good cellar. Also children not allowed, dogs welcome, most occupants scruffy

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1