Shore Excursion on St Maarten already sold out?

MarEll1

Hi All - we are on the Edge 3/6 sailing. I was trying to book shore excursions just now and wanted to go to Orient Beach but it is sold out. Everything I've read says that is St. Maarten it is safest to do a cruise line excursion rather than independent. None of the other choices interest us. Any thoughts/advice? We have not been to St. Maarten before. Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, MarEll1 said:

Hi All - we are on the Edge 3/6 sailing. I was trying to book shore excursions just now and wanted to go to Orient Beach but it is sold out. Everything I've read says that is St. Maarten it is safest to do a cruise line excursion rather than independent. None of the other choices interest us. Any thoughts/advice? We have not been to St. Maarten before. Thanks in advance!

We are on the same cruise! Since covid many excursions sell out quickly. We have had excursions canceled, times changed, etc.  Also know the ports, excursions, even shows can change at anytime. Cruise on and be flexible!

1 hour ago, MarEll1 said:

Note: I haven't been there since 2019, pre-covid, so this may be out of date. From the pier area there is a water taxi to the beach which runs along in front of the small town of Philipsburg. Or do a 15-20 minute walk to that area. Sit on the sand. Walk across the beach to the town and sip a few drinks, have some lunch. Interesting jewelry and clothing shops on Front Street. There used to be a local artisans open air market on Back Street, 2-3 blocks in from Front Street. 

In short, just get off, wander around, it is a nice little town. We enjoyed a week there 20 years ago and have been pleased to have made several one-day stops back there since then.

Stan

54 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Note: I haven't been there since 2019, pre-covid, so this may be out of date. From the pier area there is a water taxi to the beach which runs along in front of the small town of Philipsburg. Or do a 15-20 minute walk to that area. Sit on the sand. Walk across the beach to the town and sip a few drinks, have some lunch. Interesting jewelry and clothing shops on Front Street. There used to be a local artisans open air market on Back Street, 2-3 blocks in from Front Street. 

In short, just get off, wander around, it is a nice little town. We enjoyed a week there 20 years ago and have been pleased to have made several one-day stops back there since then.

Stan

That sounds like a good option. Thanks for the suggestion 

1 hour ago, lovrccl said:

We are on the same cruise! Since covid many excursions sell out quickly. We have had excursions canceled, times changed, etc.  Also know the ports, excursions, even shows can change at anytime. Cruise on and be flexible!

I am expecting changes for sure! Just wanted to have a plan to start with and since we’re not familiar with the island the ship excursion sounded best. This is only our second cruise so I’m still a little bit nervous!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, r2h2 said:

Grab a taxi for $25.00 each way at the cruise port. We did this in mid December and it was not a problem at all.

Taxi is way better than excursion, you can go and return when you want and it’s cheaper. My July cruise my wife wanted to do excursion there and bus had no a/c so we got off the bus and got a refund.

I have a timeshare in St.  Maarten and just came back home yesterday after 3 weeks there.  From the ship you can either walk or take water taxi to boardwalk where Great Beach is.  One street over is Front Street where all jewelry and gift stores are.  Next to the cruise terminal is a restaurant called Chesterfields.  Excellent local place and we eat there every time we go to Phillipsburg.  You can always take a taxi/bus to Orient Beach.  Maho Beach is also nice.  That is where everyone goes to watch the planes come in.  Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bjahil47 said:

I have a timeshare in St.  Maarten and just came back home yesterday after 3 weeks there.  From the ship you can either walk or take water taxi to boardwalk where Great Beach is.  One street over is Front Street where all jewelry and gift stores are.  Next to the cruise terminal is a restaurant called Chesterfields.  Excellent local place and we eat there every time we go to Phillipsburg.  You can always take a taxi/bus to Orient Beach.  Maho Beach is also nice.  That is where everyone goes to watch the planes come in.  Have fun!

Thank you so much! That is very helpful information.

2 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Thank you for the local info. Husband wants to watch the planes at Maho Beach. That sounds awful to me!!

22 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Thank you for the local info. Husband wants to watch the planes at Maho Beach. That sounds awful to me!!

Our timeshare is right next to Maho Beach.  Have watched the planes many times and it is an experience not to miss.  In my younger days I stood there while planes took off and the jet fuel stinks and the sand whips you.  Go with your husband and if you really don’t want to experience the planes there is a bar/restaurant right there called Driftwood.  The drinks are excellent, made with real fruit!  There is also another bar/restaurant on other side called Sunset Beach Bar.  I like Driftwood better.  Get a Banana Coloda and a Shawarma!  This is last week…

• Thanks 1

The plane beach is great, worth doing once. Agree with the above, no need for the official excursion - fixed price taxis are available and there are a ton of them, go and come back when you are ready, not on the excursion schedule. If the planes don't interest you just hang out in the bar/restaurant, still some great beach views.

We were there 3 weeks ago on Edge, everyone had a good time there.

2 hours ago, brontosphere said:

The plane beach is great, worth doing once. Agree with the above, no need for the official excursion - fixed price taxis are available and there are a ton of them, go and come back when you are ready, not on the excursion schedule. If the planes don't interest you just hang out in the bar/restaurant, still some great beach views.

We were there 3 weeks ago on Edge, everyone had a good time there.

Thanks for the input  - we may have to

do this. He is pushing hard for it!

2 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

The Maho Beach experience is really a lot of fun.  I knew DH would enjoy as he was an aircraft mechanic when in the Air Force . . . But it was LOTS of fun!  We had a table at a beachside restaurant/bar right there.  Nice little lunch and entertainment.798D5413-2A36-4DFB-BE54-F1F06A83787C.thumb.jpeg.a4048ce8884a7ab21fa24ee2fd081a29.jpeg

Thank you - husband is an air plane nut so we may end up doing this. Is it as crowded as the photo? And did you do the ship excursion or take a taxi? 

The beach itself is VERY busy (could depend on how many ships are in), it's a thin strip of beach with people jockeying for positions to take photos/videos as the big planes approach. There is a schedule of arrivals on a blackboard in the adjacent restaurant so you know in advance when the big ones come in.

It really is a unique experience, I admit I'm a plane guy but my wife enjoyed it too, can get great pictures from the restaurant rail, you don't have to be directly beneath the planes on the beach.

7 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Thank you - husband is an air plane nut so we may end up doing this. Is it as crowded as the photo? And did you do the ship excursion or take a taxi? 

First, as for the crowd, this was in 2016, not currently.  We never went onto the beach; this photo was taken from the restaurant-bar which was busy but not like the beach.

we took a taxi there and back.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just FYI Orient Beach is topless and right next to a nude beach. Last time we went sat at a beach bar and in walks a nude 80+year old guy. Some sights you just can't unsee LOL 

That is not something I need to see!!

On 1/21/2022 at 3:41 PM, MarEll1 said:

I've gone there many many times (Orient Bay) and it's best to do independently with taxi.  Then you can leave as you wish---it's really no problem!  Enjoy!