Some questions from a potential new Silversea cruiser

ak1004

Each line has their top performing agents.   A problem.....top performers know who to call.   Volume discounts your local agent will never get from the cruise line.   High volume agents can give cash/credits as a matter of policy.   It's not something you have to ask about.    A high quality agent knows who to call, but might not be sharing their commission.   It really is a learning experience.   Kind of like finding a cruise line that fits.   Sometimes I go with an agent for no other reason to be nice to a hard worker.    If price is the biggest consideration, the order goes elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you everyone for responding!

We ended up booking this cruise, despite a draconic cancellation policy. It's clear that SS wants to encourage people to book d2d, but their quote for air was insane. It is what is, I'm sure it will be worth it.

I have another question. Our TA is part of Virtuoso, and they have a $600 credit per cabin for this cruise. Our booking is for 6 couples, and our TA was told that over 10 people is considered a group booking. However, she was also told that Virtuoso credit cannot be combined with group discount/credit. Is this correct? It looks like she gets different info each time she calls.

Hi AK Hi Hi AK 
Hi AK 

We are on this same cruise, we luckily booked this before  the price change, but I believe they already had the door to door amenities as part of our price. They also had a set price for the business class upgrade that seems to match the $ amount you mentioned earlier and  so far seems in line with the cost if we booked air on our own either flying Air Canada or BA. I see you are from Canada, so assume that is  carrier you will use and possibly since you are not flying from the states, maybe you can save more. 

Another benefit they include w D2D is the hotel stay the night before in Dubai. 

I would keep your eye on the prices, we booked a cruise a few years back w SS and  the prices dropped after we made our final  payment (I believe) and they gave us a credit to our CC. I don’t know if this new price structure allows for that refund if the price changes. 

I agree if the savings is so much greater if you do it on your own , I would probably risk it too  . We normally do our own air since we like to come early and pick our own flights, but with Covid and potential for cancellations and changed itineraries I would rather not lock into airfare on my own since most likely I would be on the hook for any air booking I made. At the time we booked this cruise it was a  very good price, compared to their other itineraries .  I’m hoping this cruise goes as scheduled and  im hoping that any future cruises we take with SS , we will not have to worry about Covid restrictions and disruptions and can take advantage of these lower port to port prices because we really enjoy SS and hope you and your friends do too, but as you said, the price has to be reasonable. 

So maybe we will  see you in December! Safe travels and happy planning ! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Anyone can respond regarding group booking please?

I don't know why you'd expect anyone here to be able to give a definitive answer to your question, when the answer rests firmly with SS. If SS told your TA they can't combine a group booking discount with a Virtuoso credit, then that's the bottom line; if she got a different answer from someone at SS, she should follow up and try to get them to commit to that. Also, anyone who comments here is probably using experience from pre-Covid, and many rules have changed since then.

14 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I don't know why you'd expect anyone here to be able to give a definitive answer to your question, when the answer rests firmly with SS. If SS told your TA they can't combine a group booking discount with a Virtuoso credit, then that's the bottom line; if she got a different answer from someone at SS, she should follow up and try to get them to commit to that. Also, anyone who comments here is probably using experience from pre-Covid, and many rules have changed since then.

Sometimes experience is better than the official answer since "official" answers also change every day.

For example, she booked 4 people at Vista GTY rate even while Vista is currently waitlisted. When she tried to book the firth couple, they said no, but she called the next day, spoke with a different person and they booked with no problem.

So I'm trying to get some feedback to see if the issue is worth pursuing or this is how it works. To me it doesn't make sense, as they should be interested to get more bookings and provide some perks, regardless of what Virtuoso offers.

So far the booking experience with SS was very confusing.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

To me it doesn't make sense, as they should be interested to get more bookings and provide some perks, regardless of what Virtuoso offers.

The Virtuoso offer is probably subsidized by Silversea.  That's why they won't allow you to combine offers.  [The same often applies with the American Express Cruise Privileges offer.]

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The Virtuoso offer is probably subsidized by Silversea.  That's why they won't allow you to combine offers.  [The same often applies with the American Express Cruise Privileges offer.]

Thank you, that makes sense.

Couple more questions for experienced SS travelers.

SS now includes one excursion in each port. Do they guarantee availability of those free excursions, or it's possible that some of them will be sold out? I understand that Venetian society members have priority in booking, so theoretically by the time the bookings open to first time cruisers, they might be sold out.

Also, our group is now 7 couples (14 people), will they be able to accommodate us on one table or we will need to split? I understand it probably won't be possible in smaller venues, I'm referring mostly to Atlantide (which is equivalent to MDR on other ships if I understand correctly)

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

our group is now 7 couples (14 people), will they be able to accommodate us on one table or we will need to split?

I'll leave it to the experienced Spirit cruisers to answer if there are tables for 14 available, but I'll throw out a tip: even if you could get a table for 14, you probably shouldn't. You've doubtless been to weddings where you can't hold conversations with everyone at a large table. We did a river cruise (on one of Crystal's excellent river boats 😢) with 6 couples, and it wasn't possible to get us all at one table. We decided to do a nightly rotation or 4 or 6 people, so each night we were paired up differently. In the end, we all agreed it worked out well, as it was much better for conversing at dinner and spending quality time with each couple. Of course, we hung out together in the luges and on deck, so it wasn't like we didn't experience being together as a group. but for dinner conversation, breaking into at least two groups each night might be more enjoyable than straining to hear and talk at a giant table. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I was on Spirit in October and I cannot recall tables in Atlantide for 14..  I echo cruiseej though and would tell you 2 tables will be easier for everyone. 6 top/8top and then you could change off.

Now, if you absolutely want to sit together? I would suggest speaking with the Maitr'd and see what they can do for you.  And yes, Atlantide is what would be considered the closest venue to a "main dining room".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you. Yes, I think splitting makes more sense. 

Pleased to hear you have decided to book with silversea & I'm sure you won't be disappointed...as to your question on dinning with a large group we as a family often travel with any thing from 6 people to twice 12 people... 6 no problems & even the 2 cruises with 12 of us they gave us the same table each night at the back of the dinning room ( we arrived at anytime within the dinning times ) and they even transported the table up to LA terrazza for 2 nights we dined there .😂. that was in the days before the multiple dinning options onboard the newer ships ... So maybe it might not be so easy ??...we had 8 on our last cruise 2019 and did split on a few evenings for dinner , different venues and got together after dinner for a drink & boggie !!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

So the breakfast and lunch buffet is in La Terrazza, correct? What about evening? Or there is no buffet in the evening?

Yes, breakfast and lunch buffet is in La Terrazza.  There is no evening buffet.  In the evening, La Terrazza becomes a stay-seated Italian restaurant with an extensive fixed menu and periodic specials.

• Thanks 2