Honeymoon Voyage Suggestions

planetcadillac

Hello All - 

I am looking for some thoughts and suggestions from the gang. We are a newlywed couple as of 2021 in our early 40s and due to Covid never had a proper honeymoon. Neither of us have been married before nor do we have any children between us so in many ways we are fresh at this like 20 year olds! With that being said, we are at the point in our lives (logistically and financially) to have a decent honeymoon. We both love cruising and in fact that is one of the reasons we ended up together. I am an experienced Cunarder whilst she is not and am thinking of introducing her. We are also thinking about taking a longer voyage. The longest I have been on has been 14 days (not on Cunard however). We are possibly thinking of doing something like the 28 day Caribbean  or something to that effect. My questions revolve around these: We are not that young but as I know these longer cruises tend to lean older and I worry about social acceptance on board. I have always enjoyed sitting at larger tables because I am outgoing and socializing is a necessary part of the trip. 2nd, while I have been on the QM2 and the QE2 (God bless her) I have never given considerable thought to the QE or QV. I have known a number of experienced QE2ers and QM2ers that find the QE/V less appealing. Finally, while my initial desire is to do a longer cruise which would necessitate us booking Britannia, I have entertained the idea of doing a shorter cruise (like a TA) in the Grill as I have never did a cruise on any line at that level. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

27 minutes ago, planetcadillac said:

Hello All - 

I am looking for some thoughts and suggestions from the gang. We are a newlywed couple as of 2021 in our early 40s and due to Covid never had a proper honeymoon. Neither of us have been married before nor do we have any children between us so in many ways we are fresh at this like 20 year olds! With that being said, we are at the point in our lives (logistically and financially) to have a decent honeymoon. We both love cruising and in fact that is one of the reasons we ended up together. I am an experienced Cunarder whilst she is not and am thinking of introducing her. We are also thinking about taking a longer voyage. The longest I have been on has been 14 days (not on Cunard however). We are possibly thinking of doing something like the 28 day Caribbean  or something to that effect. My questions revolve around these: We are not that young but as I know these longer cruises tend to lean older and I worry about social acceptance on board. I have always enjoyed sitting at larger tables because I am outgoing and socializing is a necessary part of the trip. 2nd, while I have been on the QM2 and the QE2 (God bless her) I have never given considerable thought to the QE or QV. I have known a number of experienced QE2ers and QM2ers that find the QE/V less appealing. Finally, while my initial desire is to do a longer cruise which would necessitate us booking Britannia, I have entertained the idea of doing a shorter cruise (like a TA) in the Grill as I have never did a cruise on any line at that level. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

planetcadillac,

Wishing you a Belated Happy Wed Lock to you both. This is from a couple who are Cunarders from the 1980's on Cunard vessels (QE2, Caronia and QM2).

We wish you a happy life together.. We are this year celebrating happy 45 years together.

We ourselves like longer sailings from 9-11-13 days. We hope someday to try a BTB TA we never booked because of parental commitments while they were with us. Now we have the time to vary.

We did do 2 Panama Canals sailings in the past. One QE2 from San Diego to NYC thru the PC. And one NYC to PC and back for 13 days. And enjoyed it. We also did a fly over to SOU and went on the Norway Sailing and then TA back to the Big Apple in NYC.

We are hoping and praying to get to do our recent booked NYC to Quebec and Back to NYC which will be a 14 day sailing this coming Sept. 2022.

We IMHO really see nothing over 13-14 days interesting due to the amount maybe too much. We have in the past found by the 10-11 day time to return to home and 12-13 was fine.

Hope you make the right choice and enjoy it.  

Having sailed on QE2, then QV, then QM2 and QE, I certainly would not write off QE and QV.

I much prefer the Grill restaurants on QE and QV. Even the "Smash and Grab" (Lido) is so much better.

Whilst not designed as Liners, they are great cruising ships. Almost all our trips are 12-14 days.

Certainly worth considering!

First, congratulations.

At this late stage a 2022 Honeymoon would possibly suffer from a lack available desired staterooms.
Having given some thought to your happy dilemma, one came up with a 2023 suggestion.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/M314A/M314A

One does not enjoy The Club Restaurant on the QM, a bit dull and dingy for one’s tastes, much more prefer Club one the other two Queens.  Therefore, one’s suggestion is to go big in a Princess or Queen’s Grill Suite (Early Saver?).  As aware, Cunard 2023 releases are bookable on 1 February 2022

Your mention of “ages” is a fair point, but as this voyage consists of multiple cruises and embarkations, the age demographic and nationalities will be enjoyably varied.

No doubt Cunarders will deliver other wonderful and helpful suggestions.

On booking, let Cunard know this is a Honeymoon Cruise and “accept” an upgrade.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Queen

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. If we travel it will be at the end of 2022 or into 2023. We would need that time  just to prepare the logistics of being away. As a Platinum World Club member I am sure Cunard will take care of me/us with whatever upgrades can be had and mentioning the honeymoon probably will help as well. I am very outgoing and having been on Cunard before I can blend in with any crowd at any age. My wife, however, is more introverted and she might be intimidated being seated for dinner facing a table full of ladies our parents age or more. Of course we could always request a table for two or being seated with solos as they will usually make an effort to be inclusive out of necessity. 

As for cabins, on a personal level, I could live in an inside cabin for the full World Cruise if I had to, I am a hardy soul and having spent time in the services I have bunked in far worse... However as a couple you have to think of the whole and it will more than likely at least be an outside in Britannia. A Grill cabin for a longer cruise is way out of the budget but for a shorter one is a consideration. It would also likely alter our onboard activities. Staying in the cheap seats we will more than likely use the room strictly for utility. In and out to sleep/change/refresh, etc. No room service or sleeping in. In a Grill room, we would likely be in absentia on board venturing out only to eat and watch our arrival or departure from somewhere. The ability to dine in suite off the restaurant menu would likely be utilized more often than not. Live/eat/sleep on the balcony. I have done that before. I am sure I wouldn't be the first. Tablemates (if we had them) would wonder if we were alive. I am not a food gourmet so the differences in menu between the accommodations is less of a deciding factor but the ability to order off menu has some appeal. 

Really I think it depends on how we want to approach it. A more inclusive experience or a more public one. 

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

planetcadillac,

Wishing you a Belated Happy Wed Lock to you both. This is from a couple who are Cunarders from the 1980's on Cunard vessels (QE2, Caronia and QM2).

We wish you a happy life together.. We are this year celebrating happy 45 years together.

We ourselves like longer sailings from 9-11-13 days. We hope someday to try a BTB TA we never booked because of parental commitments while they were with us. Now we have the time to vary.

We did do 2 Panama Canals sailings in the past. One QE2 from San Diego to NYC thru the PC. And one NYC to PC and back for 13 days. And enjoyed it. We also did a fly over to SOU and went on the Norway Sailing and then TA back to the Big Apple in NYC.

We are hoping and praying to get to do our recent booked NYC to Quebec and Back to NYC which will be a 14 day sailing this coming Sept. 2022.

We IMHO really see nothing over 13-14 days interesting due to the amount maybe too much. We have in the past found by the 10-11 day time to return to home and 12-13 was fine.

Hope you make the right choice and enjoy it.  

My parents are around 45 years. They got married young and probably have another 20 if they can hold out. 😆

Fortunately my parents are not anywhere near requiring looking after and are content in retirement in a 55+ condo in Florida. 

I have largely given up trying to book anything for 2022 even grabbing a last minute sailing simply because of the chance of drama of any kind. My brother lives in NYC (Manhattan) so we have someone to help with logistics when we are in the area. 

I understand some people get "bored" not sure if that is the right term after a certain amount of time. I am not sure I would my wife might but she seems interested so far. She is more introverted than I so she might feel like she has to make an effort to find things to do to occupy her time. Especially on sea days. That is why I have usually enjoyed being seated at a larger table in the restaurant. If you get good mates then it breaks up the day considerably. I have never cruised alone but many times "functionally" solo and learned to blend in well. 

13 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Having sailed on QE2, then QV, then QM2 and QE, I certainly would not write off QE and QV.

I much prefer the Grill restaurants on QE and QV. Even the "Smash and Grab" (Lido) is so much better.

Whilst not designed as Liners, they are great cruising ships. Almost all our trips are 12-14 days.

Certainly worth considering!

I am sure the accommodations and services on the QE and QV are more than adequate. I guess I was thinking more in terms of atmosphere, if there is a different "feel" traveling on those ships as opposed to the QM2. Perhaps the demographic or marketing is different. The QM2 was aimed to replace the QE2 I don't know I haven't studied the QE/V itineraries enough to see if they are targeting a slightly different market than the QM2. 

I am not much on the Lido unless I find myself hungry at an odd time of the day and need to look for something. Perhaps for lunch if we are swimming or outside and don't feel like freshening up to sit in the restaurant. The "make your own salad" bar is attractive although I think that is offline until Covid stabilizes. 

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The danger of upgrades on QM2 is being upgraded to a dreaded Q3, which lacks a balcony - which you'd definitely want in the Med.

I understand the desire for outdoor space for warm weather cruises. After having looked at the reviews of the Q3 Queen Anne Suite I have to be honest if I was booked in a lower grade and was offered that (assuming the upgrade was somewhat considerable) I would be hard pressed not to consider it. I could certainly find outdoor space if necessary somewhere. 😝

If this is meant to be a delayed honeymoon, then your wife comes first in every desire!

She may prefer:

Table for 2 - its a honeymoon!

Not a long cruise in case she hates it, so 10 - 16  days max.

Definitely to a warm area: eg Med, (not Norway - it's a gamble on the weather).

Not Caribbean unless she wants to fly (28 days we love, but what if she hates it?).

Balcony (deluxe end, not obstructed, etc).

Then, if all goes well, you can choose the next one!

Edited by bbtablet

16 hours ago, planetcadillac said:

We are also thinking about taking a longer voyage. The longest I have been on has been 14 days (not on Cunard however). We are possibly thinking of doing something like the 28 day Caribbean  or something to that effect. 

Our longest cruise was 18 days (not Cunard) and that was enough.  I think there is a law of diminishing returns.  A 28 day cruise won't deliver as much enjoyment overall as two 14 day cruises.  Having said that, I recognize that some folks do take 'round the world' for 110 days.  And I wouldn't worry about the age of your fellow passengers on Cunard.  Everybody is sociable and friendly.  There are lots of young minds trapped in older bodies.  And congratulations!  I hope you have a wonderful time.

3 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Our longest cruise was 18 days (not Cunard) and that was enough.  I think there is a law of diminishing returns.  A 28 day cruise won't deliver as much enjoyment overall as two 14 day cruises.  Having said that, I recognize that some folks do take 'round the world' for 110 days.  And I wouldn't worry about the age of your fellow passengers on Cunard.  Everybody is sociable and friendly.  There are lots of young minds trapped in older bodies.  And congratulations!  I hope you have a wonderful time.

I get your point. On short cruises (week or less) there is a tendency to maximize your activity to squeeze as much as you can in. So you busy from morning to night. What happens after 2 weeks is that you tend to take the days much slower to the point that there may be some days you do not do much at all. Like being stuck inside at home when its raining or something. Some people like but I can understand say on a 28 night cruise with half of them being sea days because of travel time you can get bored. Aside from continually eating it can get slow. 

This is one of those unusual circumstances of getting married for the first time late in life (for marriage) and already being established. She has a house I have a house and we are selling one to move in together. We are using some of those proceeds to fund this honeymoon and invest the rest. We won't be having children so we have less to plan for financially and our professions allow us to make the time. 

Most of the cruises I have taken I have participated with Cruise Critic groups and/or traveled as part of a larger group so we always had people to look forward to see onboard. Hopefully that would be the case on this trip. 

9 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One does not enjoy The Club Restaurant on the QM, a bit dull and dingy for one’s tastes, much more prefer Club one the other two Queens.  Therefore, one’s suggestion is to go big in a Princess or Queen’s Grill Suite (Early Saver?).  As aware, Cunard 2023 releases are bookable on 1 February 2022

Britannia Club ? My main interest in a Grill suite is for off-the-menu and in-suite dining since presumable paying the extra tariff we would stay in more. 

On 1/23/2022 at 5:21 PM, planetcadillac said:

Britannia Club ? My main interest in a Grill suite is for off-the-menu and in-suite dining since presumable paying the extra tariff we would stay in more. 

planetcadillac,

True about the in cabin dining, but we like the Club since it is a Pre Grill Experience with an extra Grill Menu is presented beside the regular one and we also like the opening sitting hours, three times a day if we wish to go other than the other alternate choices. Also we like at the sittings, the same table location. True, we can go to Britannia at breakfast or lunch and sit at different locations.

On 1/23/2022 at 5:16 PM, planetcadillac said:

I get your point. On short cruises (week or less) there is a tendency to maximize your activity to squeeze as much as you can in. So you busy from morning to night. What happens after 2 weeks is that you tend to take the days much slower to the point that there may be some days you do not do much at all. Like being stuck inside at home when its raining or something. Some people like but I can understand say on a 28 night cruise with half of them being sea days because of travel time you can get bored. Aside from continually eating it can get slow. 

This is one of those unusual circumstances of getting married for the first time late in life (for marriage) and already being established. She has a house I have a house and we are selling one to move in together. We are using some of those proceeds to fund this honeymoon and invest the rest. We won't be having children so we have less to plan for financially and our professions allow us to make the time. 

Most of the cruises I have taken I have participated with Cruise Critic groups and/or traveled as part of a larger group so we always had people to look forward to see onboard. Hopefully that would be the case on this trip. 

We do enjoy longer sailings. An equal amount of days at sea and at ports of call gives us the opportunity to enjoy the different activities available. Full Days at Sea a wealth of activities on a full days programme. Ports of Call with time to stretch your legs and make connect with the local and see new adventures.