Stavanger, Norway

We are taking the Carnival Pride cruise on June 10, 2022. I'd like to learn what are the interesting things to see and do at each port and suggestions for excursions. Since everyone is different, we can just give information here for people to easily gather. (Yes, I'm doing this for all of the ports. I thought that's easier than one thread for all of the ports, since each cruise has its own ports.)

Renee 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, let's go cruising said:

We are taking the Carnival Pride cruise on June 10, 2022. I'd like to learn what are the interesting things to see and do at each port and suggestions for excursions. Since everyone is different, we can just give information here for people to easily gather. (Yes, I'm doing this for all of the ports. I thought that's easier than one thread for all of the ports, since each cruise has its own ports.)

Renee 

Just booked this cruise a couple days ago and started looking at port activities, I’ll be sure to check back in on the threads. BTW I’m also from Ohio 🙂

• Like 1

If you hike at all, definitely go to  pulpit rock. It’s doable on your own with a ferry then bus to get you to the trailhead. It was a bucket list hike for us and the views from the top we’re spectacular. Of course, a 3 hour hike is not everyone’s idea of fun.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have tour booked and meet right at the port. This is our first stop in Norway. Is there an atm at the port to get tip money for tour operator? I know cc is good for everything else but wondering if i may need to exchange money before we board to have NOK for tipping. Ty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, whoshwhosh said:

Will be sightseeing Stavanger on our own in early May.  Enjoy local foods. Any suggestions for lunch or pastry/coffee stop near the port?

17th May shop will be closed as their bank holiday so restaurant is available but must book table.  

I don't know if coffeeshop will be opening ? 

I emailed the port and there are ATM's right at the port if cash needed for tour operator tips. I also checked it out on Google Maps and there should be more than enough time to exchange some money before I meet up with the tour. 

Another thing I found is a site called Viking House which for around 20.00 USD pp you can do a virtual reality show on vikings. Lasts about 15 minutes.  Not super hi tech but sounds like a fun thing to do if time permits and it is in the buildings right by where the ship docks. 

For information on what to do in Norwegian ports look on the tourist board website. VisitNorway.no

Norway is more or less a cashless society, so use credit cards. We have two that do not charge for foreign transactions.

• 5 months later...

We just got back from our In Search of the Northern Lights for 2022. There is a tour called Fjord Cruise Lysefjord & Preikestolen. You can book via the ship, Viator or directly. DO NOT book directly. They will not refund your money if the ship doesn't make port. Our captain canceled the port call the night before due to a need to out run a storm. Those passengers who booked via Princess or Viator got a refund. I booked directly but was refused a refund.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 7:01 PM, DesertGirl28 said:

We just got back from our In Search of the Northern Lights for 2022. There is a tour called Fjord Cruise Lysefjord & Preikestolen. You can book via the ship, Viator or directly. DO NOT book directly. They will not refund your money if the ship doesn't make port. Our captain canceled the port call the night before due to a need to out run a storm. Those passengers who booked via Princess or Viator got a refund. I booked directly but was refused a refund.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Thank you for the warning.