LGB vs LAX

Emu2302

I’m taking my first west coast cruise and wanted to see what the consensus is on flying into LAX vs LGB.

I live in Tennessee, so LAX makes sense because I prefer nonstop flights; however, the size of it, process of getting to transportation, plus traffic makes me cringe.

LGB isn’t nonstop (+3 hours), but seems like it would be easier to get in and out of.

thoughts?

9 hours ago, Emu2302 said:

I’m taking my first west coast cruise and wanted to see what the consensus is on flying into LAX vs LGB.

I live in Tennessee, so LAX makes sense because I prefer nonstop flights; however, the size of it, process of getting to transportation, plus traffic makes me cringe.

LGB isn’t nonstop (+3 hours), but seems like it would be easier to get in and out of.

thoughts?

Just picking between the two. No contest, LGB.

• Like 3

Coming from the East, take the nonstop. One thing happens with a connection and your whole vacation can get upended. LAX isn't so bad that I would not take a nonstop to avoid it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people seem intimidated by LAX...Yes, it is a very large airport--one of the largest in the world...

But, OTOH, it gives you far more flight options on more airlines from more places...and, of course, more nonstops.

For me, my FIRST criteria is nonstop...

Way too many things can go wrong when you make intermediate stops--I have had flight delays causing missed connections, I have had luggage lost by being unloaded at the wrong airport, I have had flights canceled without reasonable replacement flights when flying into smaller airports.

I fly in and out of LAX a lot (and I've also flown quite a bit in my life out of Burbank and John Wayne as well).  And I have never had many problems with LAX.  I have almost always had short lines and, really, no problem navigating the airport.  Worst thing I've experienced is having my plane taxi awhile before docking at the gate.

If you are arriving (and it is your destination), it is really quite simple to get off the plane and walk directly to baggage claim.

If you are departing from LAX, it's fairly easy to go from curb to check-in/baggage drop.  Security lines/screening are now unavoidable everywhere.  Lines may be long...but move.  Better if you have some form of preferred screening...Again, true almost anywhere.

But, yes, getting an Uber or taxi has become one step more complicated--but it really isn't that big a deal...It will take you FAR LESS time and effort than, say, having to change planes in Denver or Phoenix or San Francisco...

I would choose nonstop to LAX ANY TIME over making an intermediate stop to use LGB...

And, traffic to the port is overblown by many as well...LAX to San Pedro is a mere 20 miles (only slightly more than LGB to San Pedro)...And YOU are likely not the one driving...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Coming from the East, take the nonstop. One thing happens with a connection and your whole vacation can get upended. LAX isn't so bad that I would not take a nonstop to avoid it. 

Good point…I may be coming in on Saturday morning for a Tuesday departure to spend the weekend in Santa Monica or something before embarking. So I have some buffer before the cruise.

28 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

A lot of people seem intimidated by LAX...Yes, it is a very large airport--one of the largest in the world...

But, OTOH, it gives you far more flight options on more airlines from more places...and, of course, more nonstops.

For me, my FIRST criteria is nonstop...

Way too many things can go wrong when you make intermediate stops--I have had flight delays causing missed connections, I have had luggage lost by being unloaded at the wrong airport, I have had flights canceled without reasonable replacement flights when flying into smaller airports.

I fly in and out of LAX a lot (and I've also flown quite a bit in my life out of Burbank and John Wayne as well).  And I have never had many problems with LAX.  I have almost always had short lines and, really, no problem navigating the airport.  Worst thing I've experienced is having my plane taxi awhile before docking at the gate.

If you are arriving (and it is your destination), it is really quite simple to get off the plane and walk directly to baggage claim.

If you are departing from LAX, it's fairly easy to go from curb to check-in/baggage drop.  Security lines/screening are now unavoidable everywhere.  Lines may be long...but move.  Better if you have some form of preferred screening...Again, true almost anywhere.

But, yes, getting an Uber or taxi has become one step more complicated--but it really isn't that big a deal...It will take you FAR LESS time and effort than, say, having to change planes in Denver or Phoenix or San Francisco...

I would choose nonstop to LAX ANY TIME over making an intermediate stop to use LGB...

And, traffic to the port is overblown by many as well...LAX to San Pedro is a mere 20 miles (only slightly more than LGB to San Pedro)...And YOU are likely not the one driving...

Good perspective, thanks.

10 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I would agree if someone was flying in the day or the cruise, or late in the day before, but I do anything I can to avoid LAX, which is an awful airport on every level.

Good point…I may be coming in on Saturday morning for a Tuesday departure to spend the weekend in Santa Monica or something before embarking. So I have some buffer before the cruise.

In general I'd say take LGB over LAX, but I if my layover was 3 hours, I would not do it and if I had severely limited options if I missed the connection I would not do it.

But if the layover was less than 90 minutes and if the layover was in a city like Las Vegas or Phoenix, where I'd know I had many alternative ways of getting to the LA area, if the connection completely blew up, I would seriously consider LGB, such is my dislike for LAX. I'd even choose SNA over LAX.

3 hours ago, PhotoMike said:

As an aviation geek, I'd choose SNA just to experience the noise abatement climbout that the planes do there. Wheeeeee!!!!

Yes,  you haven't really experienced the noise abatement at John Wayne until the older lady in the black dress next to you pulls out her Rosary beads and drops to her knees in prayer.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:10 PM, Bruin Steve said:

OTOH, if the OP is spending their pre-cruise in Santa Monica, LAX makes even more sense…it’s about a 15 minute drive up Lincoln Blvd. without even having to get on a freeway…LGB would be a lot longer ride…

If the OP is spending their pre-cruise in Santa Monica, LAX makes a lot more sense than LGB..... but my disdain for LAX is such, I'd fly into BUR.

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes,  you haven't really experienced the noise abatement at John Wayne until the older lady in the black dress next to you pulls out her Rosary beads and drops to her knees in prayer.

Oh man, I had forgotten about that aspect of the SNA experience. Rosary beads are definitely called for.

It's not an exciting airport - at least not on the ground - but it's easy to navigate and far less chaotic than LAX. It's not very convenient for the cruise terminals but could work well if you want to spend a day or two at Disneyland/Knott's.