Calling home....

clginal

I know this might be a stupid question to most of you..LOL  but, we don't cruise that often & when we do, we set our cell phones on airplane mode & completely unplug. 

Now, I have an elderly mother that I call a couple times a day.  I don't need to get on social media or text message........but, is there a way to call home 1x a day?  I am NOT tech savvy so, not sure how to go about doing this.  When I look at the wifi packages, it doesn't say anything about calling.  

I do have family checking on her & I will leave them the Carnival emergency number.  But, I will feel so much better if I can speak with her occasionally.  We will be on the Mardi Gras at the end of Feb.  

TIA for any help!!  Chris

here's Carnival's policy.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1129/~/cellular-phone-service

If your carrier charges less than $1.99 per minute ( and I remember seeing that in the cabin on MG in November), then just contact your carrier as Basic Sailor suggests.  Turn off Airplane mode/ make call/ turn airplane mode back on.

Guest BasicSailor
3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Would it be helpful from the ports? Most ports have cheap wifi and my friends said their cell worked in cozumel without extra data charges. Check on your phones plan. 

The 1.99 rate from the cabin if you need to reach out.

T mobile works in parts of Mexico.

3 hours ago, clginal said:

I know this might be a stupid question to most of you..LOL  but, we don't cruise that often & when we do, we set our cell phones on airplane mode & completely unplug. 

Now, I have an elderly mother that I call a couple times a day.  I don't need to get on social media or text message........but, is there a way to call home 1x a day?  I am NOT tech savvy so, not sure how to go about doing this.  When I look at the wifi packages, it doesn't say anything about calling.  

I do have family checking on her & I will leave them the Carnival emergency number.  But, I will feel so much better if I can speak with her occasionally.  We will be on the Mardi Gras at the end of Feb.  

TIA for any help!!  Chris

I have an elderly parent at home and we also just use the $1.99 per minute from our cabin.  We've sailed twice since August and I told my Mom that I would call between a certain time each evening and that it would be for just a minute or two.  Worked great in our situation.  Our phones are on airplane, too on the ship.  

• Like 1

THANKS for all the replies.  

this makes me feel better..........i'm fine with 1.99 rate if needed.  She will understand short calls.  

I will check with Verizon to see what they say but, glad to know I have these options.

I did look over what the plans on the ship said but, if we can keep it under a min, calling can keep the amount down.  I sure don't want to leave my phone where work can find me......LOL.

THANKS everyone!!!

2 hours ago, carribbound said:

If you buy the premium internet package, you can use WiFi calling on your phone. I’ve done it many times. Occasionally signal is sketchy but not too often. 

Interesting.  I've never been able to use wifi calling.  Maybe the wifi is good enough on the newest ships to make a difference.

1 hour ago, HillBilly Bob said:

San Juan is no charge using Verizon since it is a US covered area.  

duh....totally didn't think about that.  I really, always, just unplug the whole cruise.  That's part of the reason we love cruising....NO ONE can get us...hehe

• Like 2

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

Interesting.  I've never been able to use wifi calling.  Maybe the wifi is good enough on the newest ships to make a difference.

I was told by the internet guy wifi calling would not work so we did not buy internet, Verizon does a thing for  $20/ month to use your phone on a ship but i have never used it

I always get the Social Media wifi package so we can text with our sons back home. We have used the wifi calling via WhatsApp several times and carried on 15-20 minute conversations with our sons. There is a little delay and it may drop the call on occasion but it works. That is in on the slowest wifi package so I would think the premium package would work much better. 

15 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I was told by the internet guy wifi calling would not work so we did not buy internet, Verizon does a thing for  $20/ month to use your phone on a ship but i have never used it

I have used the premium internet numerous times and I assure you it works. 

If you call from a port, move away from the ship first.  We called family from Ketchikan, Alaska, and got a huge roaming charge because they call routed thru the ship. Our carrier reversed it when we explained that we were on shore, but don't know if everyone is that lucky.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 2:33 PM, clginal said:

THANKS for all the replies.  

this makes me feel better..........i'm fine with 1.99 rate if needed.  She will understand short calls.  

I will check with Verizon to see what they say but, glad to know I have these options.

I did look over what the plans on the ship said but, if we can keep it under a min, calling can keep the amount down.  I sure don't want to leave my phone where work can find me......LOL.

THANKS everyone!!!

I have the international package with Verizon.  When we use our cell phone out of US they charge us a flat fee of $10 for the day.  Check if they still offer that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hapytobehr said:

I have the international package with Verizon.  When we use our cell phone out of US they charge us a flat fee of $10 for the day.  Check if they still offer that.

They do & it's only $5/day in Mexico & Canada. I believe you must sign up for service in advance, but you don't pay unless you make a call or otherwise use your phone.

• Thanks 1

Be very careful. Pre covid getting the wifi package you could do wifi calling on your cell phone. I have been on three Carnival sailings since restart and wifi calling is being blocked. They have cellular at sea but my carrier charged$5.99 a minute after they told me 99 cents a minute. Took a month to have them remove my $500 bill. Don't know why they did this. has anyone else had any luck with wifi calling since the restart? I have heard that the whatsapp does work but have to have that set up before the cruise. The phone in the room is $1.99 a minute.

• Thanks 1

I don't want to try the packages.  I prefer to keep my phone on airplane mode & not worry about a bill.  I didn't know about the 1.99/min room phone.  I don't plan on talking more than a min so, I will use this!!  Thanks all

• Like 2