Booking while on board

trips_ahoy

Yes, a 5% discount on your fare!

One of the great things Seabourn offers is that you can put down a $500 deposit while onboard without selecting a future cruise, and you have up to four years to select a cruise and apply your future cruise deposit for the 5% savings. And if you don't use it within four years, your $500 is refunded to you. So if you think there's even a small chance you'll cruise on Seabourn in the future, it makes sense to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard. (You can do this in addition to the cruise you want to book for November.)

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that you can book aboard, save 5%, and have the booking transferred to a decent cruise/travel agency who can add a further discount or generous On Board Credit.  Tis the best of both worlds.  Even my favorite cruise agent has recommended that we book our cruises while onboard or at least do a future cruise deposit.

Hank

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

We always put down a future deposit as the bank does not pay me 5% interest tax free on my money 😀

Actually your return will be much higher than 5%, because the 5% discount, as you well know, applies to the cruise base fare!

For instance, if you buy your FCD and use it one year later to book a $6,000 cruise, you will get a $300 discount, vs. a forgone interest of $2.50 ($500 x 0.5% per annum - that's the interest rate I get in my checking account): 120 times more.  In other words, your $500 deposit would have yielded a 60% ROR.

It is always a no-brainer to buy FCDs while on board a Seabourn ship.  As a matter of fact, we always keep 2 or 3 FCDs per person in our account.

Edited by sfvoyage

2 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Actually your return will be much higher than 5%, because the 5% discount, as you well know, applies to the cruise base fare!

For instance, if you buy your FCD and use it one year later to book a $6,000 cruise, you will get a $300 discount, vs. a forgone interest of $2.50 ($500 x 0.5% per annum - that's the interest rate I get in my checking account): 120 times more.  In other words, your $500 deposit would have yielded a 60% ROR.

It is always a no-brainer to buy FCDs while on board a Seabourn ship.  As a matter of fact, we always keep 2 or 3 FCDs per person in our account.

Yes I do understand that and agree

I only mentioned the amount I paid for the Future Cruise Deposit was that is all I am out of pocket at the present time

When and if NZ relaxes the rules  of travel out of the country and returning  we do not wish to sail at the present times with NZ conditions of trying to return to NZ with their 14 odd days quarantine hotels at our cost about NZ$3000.00 and even if we could manage to book a quarantine room due to all the other horror stories we hear about people trying to return to NZ not being able to book a room we will not be going anywhere

All this makes a trip trying to get back into NZ very expensive holiday

As a PS I am wondering when I will get a letter from the bank saying they are going to charge me a fee for the storage of my money 😀

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, trips_ahoy said:

We are going to be on board in March. We are looking at booking another cruise sailing in November 2022.  As a normal practice, are there additional  benefits if we wait and book while on board?

Lately Seabourn has been more aggressive than in the past in offering additional discounts beyond the 5% when you book onboard. There were some great deals to be had on our last cruise.