Pre testing tests

closecruiser

So are the tests at Walgreens free?  Charged to insurance even if just for travel purposes?

What questions are you asked?  Does it vary by state?

I would prefer to do a test at a pharmacy without showing an insurance card since we have not met our deductible.

Opinions?  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So are the tests at Walgreens free?  Charged to insurance even if just for travel purposes?

I would prefer to do a test at a pharmacy without showing an insurance card since we have not met our deductible.

Opinions?  Thanks.

They are free and I have never had to show my insurance card at Walgreens. You have a brief questionnaire to fill out when you book the appointment online. They just ask for a photo ID when you show up for the actual test.

Edited by JamieLogical

our Walgreens doesn't offer Rapid Antigen anymore and I was worried the others would not get back in time as it says result time varies.  Thanks for clarifying.  

We actually have many free testing sites that do rapid antigens and PCR testing.  I'm hoping to go with one of these as they are closer to our house!

34 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

They are free and I have never had to show my insurance card at Walgreens. You have a brief questionnaire to fill out when you book the appointment online. They just ask for a photo ID when you show up for the actual test.

Thank you.  Someone local reported the same thing at CVS.  No charge and no insurance card necessary.

But both websites say to bring the insurance card.  One even says if you don't have insurance to bring the Social Security card..

Wonder why the website is different than the actual procedure.  I will try to call, currently getting the automated lines until the pharmacy opens, uggghhh.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Thank you.  Someone local reported the same thing at CVS.  No charge and no insurance card necessary.

But both websites say to bring the insurance card.  One even says if you don't have insurance to bring the Social Security card..

Wonder why the website is different than the actual procedure.  I will try to call, currently getting the automated lines until the pharmacy opens, uggghhh.

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Opinions?  Thanks.

If I am not mistaken there was a Federal Mandate that all Covid Test MUST be reimbursed by insurance companies starting February 1.   I believe you will still have to show your insurance card for bill back reason, but you should not be worried about deductibles.

The one time I did my test at Walgreen it was a total mess.  Probably just my pharmacy but they had me fill out a 2 page questionnaire and then slowly input it in the computer.  It took about 40 minutes just for the paperwork.   Maybe they streamlined the process.

CVS took me about 2 minutes wait time.

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

If I am not mistaken there was a Federal Mandate that all Covid Test MUST be reimbursed by insurance companies starting February 1.   I believe you will still have to show your insurance card for bill back reason, but you should not be worried about deductibles.

That was for home tests.

Just now, JamieLogical said:

That was for home tests.

I guess I'm lucky that My Healthcare provider states on their website if you can't get an appointment get a test at any pharmacy and they will reimburse.   When I went to both CVS and Walgreen they just put in my insurance details and I paid nothing.

You are correct the Biden-Harris bill did just cover over the counter tests.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess I'm lucky that My Healthcare provider states on their website if you can't get an appointment get a test at any pharmacy and they will reimburse.   When I went to both CVS and Walgreen they just put in my insurance details and I paid nothing.

You are correct the Biden-Harris bill did just cover over the counter tests.

I have taken MANY tests at both CVS  and Walgreens. While CVS asked me to upload an image of my insurance card when I booked my appointments, they never asked to see my insurance card when I showed up and as far as I know, my insurance company was never billed. Walgreens has never asked me for my insurance card at any stage of the process.

I was told by my supplemental insurance company that medicare would not cover covid tests not ordered and/or administered by a doctor.  Our local (within 50 miles) CVS and Walgreens only offer the PCR  or the 24 hr antigen.  Not the rapid antigen.  We sail on Monday 3/7/22, fly on Sunday, (arriving 8:30 pm) and need to be tested on Saturday.  All testing sites within 75 miles are closed on Saturday.   This is a problem.  We have ordered test via Celebrity/Optum which have been delayed in shipping.  Yikes!!! we're getting nervous.   ot so easy to get tested

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I have taken MANY tests at both CVS  and Walgreens. While CVS asked me to upload an image of my insurance card when I booked my appointments, they never asked to see my insurance card when I showed up and as far as I know, my insurance company was never billed. Walgreens has never asked me for my insurance card at any stage of the process.

You were lucky.  As I said it may have just been my Walgreen but they wanted my Insurance Card, My Social Security card and my Medicare Card.  I almost left and to to CVS instead but I couldn't get a CVS booking.

Sure seems like lots of different experiences.  

After my Walgreen experience I shifted to doing my own test at home via EMed/Navica - totally painless and very efficient. 

Does anyone have any advice for U.K. residents requiring pre boarding tests in USA? We are on a land tour before our cruise, departing from New York and are a bit concerned about obtaining a test. We don’t sail till June, maybe testing will have stopped by then? Fingers crossed 🤞 

Thanks for any info re places in New York where we could be tested and pricing.

Libby

I did CVS rapid antigen for the last three cruises.  Unfortunately, the test for the third cruise on 1/30 was positive.  I rebooked for 2/27 on the Edge. I went to book my test at CVS and they no longer provide free testing for travel and the website indicated the test would be $139.  Walgreens let me book the ID now test for zero cost and I did indicate it was being done for travel reasons.  I live in Florida.  Fingers crossed for a negative test on Friday!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SunLeslie said:

So is it one or 2 days before cruise to have test results. We are leaving home on a Wed and driving to son’s in Miami arriving Th evening. Cruise is Sat. 

Currently it is two days prior to cruise.   For your Saturday Cruise you need to be tested anytime on Thursday after 12:01 AM -   The monitored home test might be a good option.

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We took ours at CVS and only presented our Medicare card and drivers license.

CVS didn't  require anything from me except to hold onto my Driver's license until my 15 minute post shot wait was up.  

1 hour ago, scidee said:

I was told by my supplemental insurance company that medicare would not cover covid tests not ordered and/or administered by a doctor.  Our local (within 50 miles) CVS and Walgreens only offer the PCR  or the 24 hr antigen.  Not the rapid antigen.  We sail on Monday 3/7/22, fly on Sunday, (arriving 8:30 pm) and need to be tested on Saturday.  All testing sites within 75 miles are closed on Saturday.   This is a problem.  We have ordered test via Celebrity/Optum which have been delayed in shipping.  Yikes!!! we're getting nervous.   ot so easy to get tested

You could look for testing in FL (or wherever you are sailing from) the morning of disembarkation? Hopefully your Optum tests will arrive in time.